Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: herbs to clear lungs

Nov 2013
    Religion
    wanting to learn the celtic pict wiccan pagen ways

Question herbs to clear lungs

are there any herbs to help clear lungs of congestion?

Apr 2013
    Religion
    If you want to know, ask.
    Phrase
    Two roads diverged in a wood and I took the one less travelled by. Now where in Hades am I?

Re: herbs to clear lungs

If it is a very bad congestion I will always recommend seeing a doctor. Aside from that try brewing a pot of chamomile tea and breath the steam before you drink it.
    Warning: The above post may contain traces of sarcasm.

An apostrophe is the difference between a business that knows its shit, and a business that knows it's shit.

"Why is every object we don't understand always called a thing?" (McCoy. Star Trek: The Moive Picture)

Bronze Member iflewoverthecuckoosnest's Avatar
    Dec 2012
    Religion
    Searching, drawn to Mayan mythology and Eastern Religions
    Phrase
    Sri Ram Jai Ram Jai Jai Ram Sita Ram Sita Ram.

Lots and lots of warm, herbals teas with honey are quite helpful for chest/nasal congestion. Sage is also said to have healing effects on mucus congestion. Here's a link to a recipe:
    http://theherbgardener.blogspot.com/...for-colds.html

Nov 2013
    Religion

Quote Originally Posted by MoonRaven View Post
    If it is a very bad congestion I will always recommend seeing a doctor. Aside from that try brewing a pot of chamomile tea and breath the steam before you drink it.

Ok, I wish that I could see a doctor but when you have no insurance and no money...........

Apr 2012
    Religion
    eclectic Heathen
    Phrase
    Its not about finding the "right path" but more so finding the path that's right for you

If you can find a strong peppermint oil I've found that also really helps with congestion (at least personally anyways)
    Always taking art commissions, especially for fantasy and pagan related artwork
    Featured on Deviantart, Storenvy, Facebook, and Cafepress

Lilium of the Valley

eucalyptus eucalyptus eucalyptus !! that stuff is miraculous !! hot steam it...bathe in it...hang it while you take a hot shower...all of that will do the trick. feel better soon!

Feb 2013
    Religion
    Old Customs
    Phrase
    Damn somebody's eyes

Spoonful of honey all by itself is good for that.

A dollop of Vaporub in hot water will help, too.
    I often wish that I had done drugs in the '70s. At least there'd be a reason for the flashbacks. - Rick the Runesinger

Blood and Country

“Barbarianism is the natural state of mankind. Civilization is unnatural. It is the whim of circumstance. And barbarianism must ultimately triumph.” - Robert E. Howard

Clan of my Clan
    Kin of my Kin
    Blood of my Blood

For the Yule was upon them, the Yule; and they quaffed from the skulls of the slain,
    And shouted loud oaths in hoarse wit, and long quaffing swore laughing again.

Nov 2013
    Religion

yes it is miserable having a cold/flue
    nothing else it is a good time for me to quit smoking
    as I have no desire for a cigarette with being all stuffed up

Oct 2005
    Religion
    relational theophysis and bioregional witchery
    Phrase
    *a little bad taste is like a nice dash of paprika*

A good steam with mint oils and some rosemary oil will help, also mullein and elderberry tea--ginger, rosemary, chamomile, and peppermint can all be helpful for various reasons, but mullein is the best (safe) herb for chest congestion, avoid dairy and smoking, add garlic and ginger to whatever foods will take them and eat plenty of citrus (or add to tea), sleep with your head and chest elevated, and drink lots of fluids. Also, a hot pack of some sort.

Honestly though, go to the drugstore and evaluate whats going on--for chest congestion, you need an expectorant (in the US, likely guanfacine), if its sinus congestion, you need a decongestant (phenylephrine or pseudephrine), and if you are hacking your lungs out, a cough supressent (dextromorphan). If its a combination, then you can usually find them in different combinations. Make sure you drink lots of fluids too...any expectorant or decongestant will be somewhat dehydrating.

I've been using herbs for all sorts of things over the years...and TBH, on some things they work great, on others, not so great. Most herbal remedies work best as a long term preventative or in concert with medication. I have chronic sinus problems which frequently develop into bronchitis and even URI's...herbs only do so much.
    “You have never answered but you did not need to. If I stand at the ocean I can hear you with your thousand voices. Sometimes you shout, hilarious laughter that taunts all questions. Other nights you are silent as death, a mirror in which the stars show themselves. Then I think you want to tell me something, but you never do. Of course I know I have written letters to no-one. But what if I find a trident tomorrow?" ~~Letters to Poseidon, Cees Nooteboom

“We still carry this primal relationship to the Earth within our consciousness, even if we have long forgotten it. It is a primal recognition of the wonder, beauty, and divine nature of the Earth. It is a felt reverence for all that exists. Once we bring this foundational quality into our consciousness, we will be able to respond to our present man-made crisis from a place of balance, in which our actions will be grounded in an attitude of respect for all of life. This is the nature of real sustainability.”
    ~~Llewellyn Vaughan-Lee

"We are the offspring of history, and must establish our own paths in this most diverse and interesting of conceivable universes--one indifferent to our suffering, and therefore offering us maximal freedom to thrive, or to fail, in our own chosen way."
    ~~Stephen Jay Gould, Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of History

"Humans are not rational creatures. Now, logic and rationality are very helpful tools, but there’s also a place for embracing our subjectivity and thinking symbolically. Sometimes what our so-called higher thinking can’t or won’t see, our older, more primitive intuition will." John Beckett

Pagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible

Nov 2013
    Religion

Quote Originally Posted by thalassa View Post
    A good steam with mint oils and some rosemary oil will help, also mullein and elderberry tea--ginger, rosemary, chamomile, and peppermint can all be helpful for various reasons, but mullein is the best (safe) herb for chest congestion, avoid dairy and smoking, add garlic and ginger to whatever foods will take them and eat plenty of citrus (or add to tea), sleep with your head and chest elevated, and drink lots of fluids. Also, a hot pack of some sort.

Honestly though, go to the drugstore and evaluate whats going on--for chest congestion, you need an expectorant (in the US, likely guanfacine), if its sinus congestion, you need a decongestant (phenylephrine or pseudephrine), and if you are hacking your lungs out, a cough supressent (dextromorphan). If its a combination, then you can usually find them in different combinations. Make sure you drink lots of fluids too...any expectorant or decongestant will be somewhat dehydrating.

I've been using herbs for all sorts of things over the years...and TBH, on some things they work great, on others, not so great. Most herbal remedies work best as a long term preventative or in concert with medication. I have chronic sinus problems which frequently develop into bronchitis and even URI's...herbs only do so much.
    I can understand avoid smoking but why avoid dairy ?