Wand Work.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wand Work.

As my first real post to the forum I want to share something I've been working on recently. I've decided to take my craft a step further and create a wand based around my correspondences and what I feel would work best for me. It's is going to be made of Oak, with seven gems, Carnelian, Bloodstone, Ruby, Amber, Hematite, Citrine, and Clear quartz point. Everything corresponds with fire, which is my element and what I have felt most connected with. What I'm stuck on is the design part, any ideas or opinions would be greatly appreciated.

Re: Wand Work.

really depends upon your skill as a woodcarver/available time to input into the project and imagination...anything within reason is do-able

on the easiest side is a tapering rod with tiny stones set into it along the side

on the hardest a triple interlace of tendrils (openwork) which wrap around the stones ie they are within the wand...perhaps with small leaf decorations as well...

whatever you choose draw it out full size before you begin so you have a working plan

oak is going to be a hard wood to work with...but will carve/file nicely

Comment

Are you only talking aesthetics, or do you mean in terms of actually creating it?

Edit: if you have the ability, I'd set the gems to go up the wand starting with lighter/more transparent colors at the bottom and darkening as you go up.

Comment

Thank you guys for the information and the ideas, quickly to correct my previous post due to what gems I had available I replaced ruby with garnet and the amber with obsidian. And Chris could you be a bit more in depth on the triple interlace? I procured my oak today and have stripped the bark, it's about an inch thick at the base tampering to 3/4 inch near the top, and is about 18in long. There is a twist mid way that turns it about 180 degrees but is relatively straight other than that, I'm not sure if that would have an effect on the triple interlace you mentioned?

Comment

arrrrrggggggghhhhhhh...i'm screaming in frustration here

cant do a FFFFFFFFFFF thing - laid up with a busted leg in plaster cast..can't get upstairs to books/main computer/scanner...anything in fact apart from hop on crutche from the lounge to the loo......otherwise anything would be easy to show and demonstrate...I cant even draw something and scan it in for you at the moment

interlace is like taking 3 pliant twigs and weaving them together...but with a wand each twig is marked and carved...if done "loosely" then the wand will be an open lattice and into the open spaces the stones can be placed...the beginning of the wand needs to be a handle and the end a unified point

does this make sense ????

get me out of this FFFFFFFF plaster and let me stand on this FFFFFFFFFF leg and i'll FFFFFFFFFF make the BBBBBBBB for you....

sorry about the frustration

Comment

The interlace effect might also be described as a lazy or loose braid.

I make dozens of wands, every couple years, usually of cedar, and without any frills or adornments. The nicest one I made had a sort of spiral to it. I wrapped the handle in leather after putting a cherry stain on the wood, then gave it to my (late) daughter. It was buried with her.

So, I'd be very interested in the design you settle on. I'd love to create a few for the PF Get Together (U.S.) that's going on later this year. Be sure to keep us posted?

"Reason is not automatic. Those who deny it cannot be conquered by it." - Ayn Rand

"Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth." - Marcus Aurelius

"The very ink with which history is written is merely fluid prejudice." - Mark Twain

"The only gossip I'm interested in is things from the Weekly World News - 'Woman's bra bursts, 11 injured'. That kind of thing." - Johnny Depp

Comment

Chris: Yes i understand, the only problem with setting the gems in that interlace would be their size..they range from largest to smallest and the largest is only like 1'2in wide n 1/4in thick. And don't worry about it lol I understand how hard it is to move with only one working leg.

ChainLighting: Could you post a picture or a link to a picture? And what is the PF Get Together??

Comment

I spent the better part of this afternoon looking for pics of wands I've made. I knew I didn't have the wrapped one, that I made for Alissa, but it turns out I don't have ANY pics.

I guess they're all on the computer down at my ex-wife's.

However!

Click image for larger version

Name:	100_0576_Edit_3.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	69.2 KB
ID:	352197

She's holding one. She's also holding my fav walking staff.

"Reason is not automatic. Those who deny it cannot be conquered by it." - Ayn Rand

"Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth." - Marcus Aurelius

"The very ink with which history is written is merely fluid prejudice." - Mark Twain

"The only gossip I'm interested in is things from the Weekly World News - 'Woman's bra bursts, 11 injured'. That kind of thing." - Johnny Depp

Comment

Now THAT^ is a hat!
                  ThorSon's milkshake brings all the PF girls to the yard - Volcaniclastic

RIP

I have never been across the way
                  Seen the desert and the birds
                  You cut your hair short
                  Like a shush to an insult
                  The world had been yelling
                  Since the day you were born
                  Revolting with anger
                  While it smiled like it was cute
                  That everything was shit.

- J. Wylder

Comment

Ah well thank you for trying ChainLighting, and Heka is right that is one hell of a hat. To update you the wand is coming along very nicely, still in the process of sanding everything to get it flawlessly smooth. I'll post a picture as soon as it's done.

Comment

Originally posted by Burning Shadow Alchemist View Post
                      Ah well thank you for trying ChainLighting, and Heka is right that is one hell of a hat. To update you the wand is coming along very nicely, still in the process of sanding everything to get it flawlessly smooth. I'll post a picture as soon as it's done.
                      Very cool!

Yeah, we were both pretty proud of that hat. She still has it but the wand and staff are here. I'm not exactly sure what happened to the handmade/home-creation dress, there. Stunningly beautiful and surprisingly easy to make.

Also: Please, call me "Chain". I'll even answer to "CL". Typing the whole name out can be a bit much, and we're all pretty informal around here.

Ooh! And I'm looking forward to pics, too.

Comment

pics...me too please

take your time and be critical...then when finished you can look back and say...i did that.... and others can say....wow

C

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	securedownload.jpg
Size:	94.5 KB
ID:	352205Click image for larger version

Name:	securedownload (1).jpg
Size:	92.1 KB
ID:	352206 sorry for the wait guys, these were ready the other day but I had not yet met a requirement to post images on the forum. It's still a work in progress but it's coming along, the second picture is of the gems I'm going to use.

Comment

Nice! I like the piece you chose for the wand. Excellent character, I'd say, for an original wand. (Not like my 12 wands that all look the same.) I can't wait to see more, now!

Comment

Working...
                            X