Snow - does it happen to you?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Snow - does it happen to you?

[quote author=Tylluan Penry link=topic=885.msg18306#msg18306 date=1291051476]
    Nothing has melted.... the highest temperature in the house today was 45 degrees Fahrenheit.....
    [/quote]

Out of curiosity, why do you use Fahrenheit? I thought everyone outside of the US used Celcius.

Mostly art.

Comment

[quote author=Tylluan Penry link=topic=885.msg18306#msg18306 date=1291051476]
      Nothing has melted.... the highest temperature in the house today was 45 degrees Fahrenheit.....
      [/quote]

OMGoodness thats a cold temp for inside the house!

Comment

We got snow about two or three weeks ago, i guess. Snow is okay as long as it's not the wet kind of snow - i prefer it when the temperature is under zero...

...BUT this -23 (C) degrees (-9,4 F probably) is a bit too much for me!!! For god's sake, it's not even December yet...

Comment

There is over two feet of snow outside! Driving is a no no!
          "You can never get a cup of tea large enough or a book long enough to suit me"- CS Lewis

https://www.facebook.com/KimberlyHagenART

Comment

[quote author=FantasyWitch link=topic=885.msg18380#msg18380 date=1291062292]
            There is over two feet of snow outside! Driving is a no no!
            [/quote]

..more like "driving is a no no if you don't have winter tires"? :P

Anyway, it's funny how half of Britain stops when it snows. When I was in Wales, they cancelled all the lectures when it snowed two centimetres..

Comment

[quote author=pihlaja link=topic=885.msg18395#msg18395 date=1291063852]
              ..more like "driving is a no no if you don't have winter tires"? :P

Anyway, it's funny how half of Britain stops when it snows. When I was in Wales, they cancelled all the lectures when it snowed two centimetres..
              [/quote]

Do you have ANY idea how deep it is right now?
              Like I totally agree with you about the whole of Britain stopping and how stupid it is, but not everyone has four wheel drive or snow tires. We haven't had a winter this bad in YEARS and mind I'm in central Scotland, a lot higher ground than Wales.
              People who drive in these conditions when it is so cold that the snow turns to ice in a mater of hours and the snow is so deep and thicvk you could lose a small child in it are idiots. End of story. It took an hour for me and dad to dig the car out this morning. TOGETHER.
              "You can never get a cup of tea large enough or a book long enough to suit me"- CS Lewis

Comment

[quote author=FantasyWitch link=topic=885.msg18400#msg18400 date=1291064618]
                Like I totally agree with you about the whole of Britain stopping and how stupid it is, but not everyone has four wheel drive or snow tires. We haven't had a winter this bad in YEARS and mind I'm in central Scotland, a lot higher ground than Wales.
                People who drive in these conditions when it is so cold that the snow turns to ice in a mater of hours and the snow is so deep and thicvk you could lose a small child in it are idiots. End of story. It took an hour for me and dad to dig the car out this morning. TOGETHER.
                [/quote]

Oh, I didn't mean to say that you should drive now with all that snow especially as I know you don't have too many machines/vehicles to wipe the snow away there. What I said was just a general notion which I made couple of years ago when I lived there.

(And i was also pointing out that it is possible to drive with that much snow but it requires some things like snow tires and at least somehow ploughed (?) roads etc.)

Comment

[quote author=FantasyWitch link=topic=885.msg18400#msg18400 date=1291064618]
                  [/quote]

Yeah I totally hear ya. The rest of Canada laughs at how the West Coast reacts to snow, but it's just that they don't get it really deep all that often and it doesn't snow nearly as much as it does in the rest of the country! And I think the UK often gets wet snow as well, which is dangerous to drive in and stuff in itself but if it's followed by a cold spell and then freezes, watch out. Yep, can totally relate!

I used to drive a Mazda Miata (MX-5) and that's NOT a car you can even put snow tires on, and you can't drive it in 5 cm snow (not exaggerating!) let alone more.

Comment

This was at about half 7 last night. It is now a foot deeper than that. Wish I had got some photos of the piles of snow that have been shovelled onto the pavements. X

Comment

sigpic

Comment

No more snow down here But it keeps melting in the day and freezing during the night... -7oc last night, so now we have like 3 inches of thick ice, lethal walk to school every morning XD
                        "Otwarty świat; rany zamknięte."
                        - Open world; Wounds closed.

Comment

We went out this morning, all the roads were clear, so we went to the clinic, over tot he animal food warehouse, grabbed some lunch and popped into town to get a few jobs done. We finally stopped at our friends house to drop some stuff off and it took us over a half hour to get home by car! the roads were pretty treacherous but drivable with care. i don't mind driving int he snow too much, but when you are going up a hill with some Arsehole driving right on your rear bumper, i get a bit angry-er.
                          any how i ended up leaving the car parked on the pavement/sidewalk as i couldn't actually get the car onto the driveway.
                          Still i am parked right under a street light so hopefully no one will hit my car.

Looks like i am walking every where tomorrow though! at least the dog will enjoy herself in the park tomorrow.

M
                          In the end, only you know if you were right or wrong, so tolerate others beliefs, no matter how wrong, they may be right...

Comment

[quote author=volcaniclastic link=topic=885.msg18307#msg18307 date=1291051662]
                            Out of curiosity, why do you use Fahrenheit? I thought everyone outside of the US used Celcius.
                            [/quote]

Good question and you're right of course, they do use Celsius. But I was brought up (back in the Dark Ages) using Fahrenheit and I've never really adjusted to the new system. Metres, grams, kilos I can manage along with the old imperial measurements (which I still prefer.)

But temperature leaves me completely lost..... ;D
                            www.thewolfenhowlepress.com

Phantom Turnips never die.... they just get stewed occasionally....

Comment

[quote author=FantasyWitch link=topic=885.msg18575#msg18575 date=1291113223]

This was at about half 7 last night. It is now a foot deeper than that. Wish I had got some photos of the piles of snow that have been shovelled onto the pavements. X
                              [/quote]

Ours is similar FW except nobody's shovelled anything!

Comment

Sorry to double post...

Here's my dogs, on a walk in the woods, in the snow today. Its got alot worse now, its been snowing almost non-stop all day.

And here's one of the dogs (charlie) after the walk!

Comment

Working...
                                X