Snow - does it happen to you?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Snow - does it happen to you?

[quote author=Tylluan Penry link=topic=885.msg24118#msg24118 date=1293033677]
    This is exactly the sort of thing that makes me angry :
    The world's busiest airport has drawn widespread criticism after holidaymakers were left to sleep on cold terminal floors during the festive period.

All right, I appreciate that de-icers aren't magic, but they would have been an improvement. And someone failed to order enough.... in other words, it was avoidable.

Right, where are my snowballs?
    [/quote]

Sometimes, I think some bosses forget the basics that they teach you in business school. Like, about how planning ahead can help keep profits up.

Comment

[quote author=FantasyWitch link=topic=885.msg24080#msg24080 date=1293013132]
      It wasn't just aimed at you. I am sick of everyone bashing our country for being in -10 most days and having snow every other day. We are not used to that and frankly I think it is very arrogant of you to go bashing us (which you are despite the logic you are now attempting to throw in) just because your country is used to it and we are not.
      This goes right back to when you were taking the mickey out of people for not driving. I know one person with a four wheel drive, and two with landrovers, that is it. The rest of us could get ourselves killed driving in this weather.
      But you don't see that.
      [/quote]

Okay, if I'm arrogant then I assume it's okay for me to call you childish?

To me it seems that you just want to read my posts in certain way - no matter if I try to make myself clear later. But I have no interest in fighting with you and your imagination, so you can think whatever you want.

Only thing I want to say is that pulling the driving part back to the discussion is honestly quite stupid from you: As I said I was referring to my experiences in 2008 when there was some slight snowfalls and the whole city went crazy. And secondly: at the time I posted, I had no idea how bad the situation was for example in Scotland, I also explained that later. What's the problem?

And if you can't handle critique - even if it's not dedicated to you - that's not my problem either. I get a feeling that it's just hard for you to accept critizising from an "outsider" (person who doesn't live in Britain).

Hopefully Britain (and the airports) will at least learn something from this winter. Or are you gonna say that it's not necessary to prepare better in the future just because it usually doesn't snow much there?

[quote author=DanieMarie link=topic=885.msg24097#msg24097 date=1293028997]
      They TOTALLY deserve the criticism! And also, I know that snow doesn't happen that much in London, but for the past few years it DOES happen at Christmas. You'd think, that for the most HIGH TRAFFIC and profitable time of year for airlines, they wouldn't compromise that and might try to contribute a bit more themselves to their flights being able to leave and efficiently reach destinations on time. Since Heathrow itself is a private company and I'm sure their profits would be enhanced by flights leaving on time and efficiently, I think they're even more up for criticism.
      [/quote]

[quote author=Tylluan Penry link=topic=885.msg24082#msg24082 date=1293014403]
      As for Heathrow - it turned down the Army's offer to clear the runways and continued to be snowed in. I think they deserve to be criticised for that.
      [/quote]

And I totally agree with these two.

(we'll see if i recieve my first smite(s) for this)

Comment

Come on guys, this thread is just about snow. The ONLY fights allowed here are snow fights!

It seems to me that snow is making people angry, which is why people over here are never angry. We don't have snow

So let's try to be nice and pardon each other. Do you tree hugging pagans really need to hear this from the terrorist?

Didn't think so!

(The above comment is supposed to be a joke, I realize not all pagans like to hug trees, some of them like to make love to them, too. hehe)
        [4:82]

Comment

[quote author=Dumuzi link=topic=885.msg24236#msg24236 date=1293065675]
          Come on guys, this thread is just about snow. The ONLY fights allowed here are snow fights!

It seems to me that snow is making people angry, which is why people over here are never angry. We don't have snow

So let's try to be nice and pardon each other. Do you tree hugging pagans really need to hear this from the terrorist?

Didn't think so!

(The above comment is supposed to be a joke, I realize not all pagans like to hug trees, some of them like to make love to them, too. hehe)
          [/quote]

+1
          What you see depends on what you are looking for.

Comment

Didn't think so!

[/quote]

You're totally right, my apologies. I was just coming back to say, that I'd appriciate if possible following discussion concerning me or my personality could be discussed privately via PM's (or other things not related to snow), since this is supposed to be a snow thread like D pointed out...

Comment

Snow is awesome. Just sayin'.

It'd be awesomer if we could get something other than PERMA-RAIN in the forecast, too.

Mostly art.

Comment

I do not know of this snow of which you people speak.
                I live in Los Angeles. No snow here! Ever.
                Satan is my spirit animal

Comment

Didn't think so!

[/quote]

Yeah, your right. I'm sorry too.
                  Its just cause I'm hearing to many people getting pissy at the airports and at the councils up here and it makes me annoyed. But as has been said I was taking it pretty needlessly personal. X
                  "You can never get a cup of tea large enough or a book long enough to suit me"- CS Lewis

https://www.facebook.com/KimberlyHagenART

Comment

D is right, snow makes people angry, and I think it's stressy when they're trying to get elsewhere for the holidays (this is 2010, LOTS of people live in different cities or even countries than their families!) I have stressed friends trying to the UK, friends that are stressed about driving on the Autobahn in the snow with a gajillion of other high strung holiday travelers, etc.

Big reason I stay in Berlin for the holidays. It's just easier and less stress to visit my family in the summer.

Comment

[quote author=DanieMarie link=topic=885.msg24319#msg24319 date=1293110336]
                      D is right, snow makes people angry, and I think it's stressy when they're trying to get elsewhere for the holidays (this is 2010, LOTS of people live in different cities or even countries than their families!) I have stressed friends trying to the UK, friends that are stressed about driving on the Autobahn in the snow with a gajillion of other high strung holiday travelers, etc.

Big reason I stay in Berlin for the holidays. It's just easier and less stress to visit my family in the summer.
                      [/quote]

...it took me three hours to go the last 15 miles when I was coming to visit Scott---after 6 hours of driving in snow, more or less ahead of the storm, lets just say I was not only pissed, but exhausted...

Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
                      sigpic

Comment

I like the odd sprinkling of snow, i dont like it when it stops the whole country though...

I was walking to work the other day while listening to the Edward scissorhands soundtrack and it was kinda magical (picture below.. it was also snowing at the time bt you cant see that)

Comment

snow can stop happening now. i am sick of shoveling -.-
                          sigpic

Comment

Didn't think so!

[/quote]

Sand makes me angrier than snow. Actually its the lack of snow making me angry. WTF? Where is my goddamn WHITE CHRISTMAS?!
                            No one tells the wind which way to blow.

Comment

Snow happens here on occasion. Not usually a lot of snow. But even the tiniest flakes send the city and metro area into a frenzy. It's like we live in a desert or something. People here need to pull themselves together. This is the NW where it Rains a lot. The snow we get here is nothing compared to the snow we got in Detroit.
                              �Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted. And experience is often the most valuable thing you have to offer.�
                              ― Randy Pausch, The Last Lecture
                              Sneak Attack
                              Avatar picture by the wonderful and talented TJSGrimm.

Comment

I've seen blizzards in the northeast - not fun! I like a little snow, for effect, not danger.
                                sigpic
                                Can you hear me, Major Tom? I think I love you.

Comment

Working...
                                X