This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Pagan Altars

This is my simple altar. I crocheted the god and goddess image myself and the little cauldron and the pentagram with the colors of the elements swirling through it. I put Mary images, some teacups a great friend handmade for me, candles, etc. And I recently made a pentacle after some of the twigs out front got wet enough to work with after a nice rain!
    Attached Files

Comment

So, the last couple days I've been working on making my own altar in my bedroom closet. Not because I really need one - sitting outside is enough for me - but it felt like a nice affirmation and something constructive to do. The only materials available were the things I had just lying around, but it turns out, I have a lot of interesting things lying around...

DSC_0162.jpgDSC_0172.jpgDSC_0173.jpg

This is still a major work in progress, but that main altar space is supposed to represent the earth. The cubby under it is going to represent the sea, but as you can see, right now it's just a collection of stuff that I might include... and as for the sky, well, right now that's just the background I put up. I'd like to hang something from the ceiling, but I'm not really sure what to do yet and I don't want to create a fire hazard. The whole thing is a bit busy, I guess, but whatever, I like it. And the Pokemon box to the left has nothing to do with the altar at all :P That's just part of my closet.

I'm thinking about building a stone circle out in the woods behind my house, but I live on Long Island, NY and there really aren't any rocks around. Just rounded pebbles and sandy dirt and dirty sand. So... it'd be more like a pebble circle.

Comment

So this is my current altar. I'm working on building an altar table from scratch at the moment. Also, I'm working on restocking my supplies and reobtaining some things. But that's a story for another day. So, it's HUGE work in progress.
        Attached Files
        I see LOVE where others see only WEEDS

Comment

I can't post photos until I have internet again, but I'm really happy with my altar now. It's in a wardrobe like I had when I lived with my mum. The wardrobe faces the door and the room opens out into our living room, so I can actually leave candles burning and keep an eye on them while going about my business. There's plenty space to store my supplies and books too, so JP can have his friends over and not worry about me leaving witchy stuff on view all over the flat. I really love it. It was well worth the compromise of letting JP have the livingroom cupboard for his dvd's and games in return for sole ownership of the wardrobe. When I stand at that altar, I feel something I haven't been able to feel from the temporary shelf shrine I'd been using. I have much more faith in any workings I do from there now. I feel so much more in control of my spirituality.
          夕方に急なにわか雨は「夕立」と呼ばれるなら、なぜ朝ににわか雨は「朝立ち」と呼ばれないの? ^^If a sudden rain shower in the evening is referred to as an 'evening stand', then why isn't a shower in the morning called 'morning stand'?

Comment

So many beautiful alters! I currently have a few little alters throughout the house, although looking to build a main one in our art/music room... just trying to find a space that our kitten can't reach :P
            Will post photo's once it is set up though ^_^

Comment

We traveled to Utah recently and my sister(an atheist) was kind enough to let me set up an altar in her house so we could celebrate Lughnasadh.
              Attached Files

Comment

I love that Goddess plate. Very beautiful.
                sigpic

Comment

Just started putting it together. The Branch is in Honour of Tapio, the Rosary is just that, and the growler collects one-third of every beer I drink until it is full, the bounty is then returned to the earth. Picture was at night, what you can't see is the window overlooks the woods.

Comment

Let me correct the above Post, the branch isn't for Tapio, I do not know what to call he whom wardens over the Forest, however I have always felt a great connection to the forest in both my spirit and my blood and I do hope one day to return there to live simply.

Comment

I love your crochet god and goddess Witcher!!!!

Comment

My "True" Altar.

Comment

I've wanted to share my new altar for ages... not the best pics, but here we go..

Check out my sexy PJs!!

As you can see from the reflection, the altar faces the door to the living room, so I can leave candless or joss burning and not have to worry too much about the room setting on fire!

夕方に急なにわか雨は「夕立」と呼ばれるなら、なぜ朝ににわか雨は「朝立ち」と呼ばれないの? ^^If a sudden rain shower in the evening is referred to as an 'evening stand', then why isn't a shower in the morning called 'morning stand'?

Comment

didn't see the point in making a new thread for this - I've had the same altar for YEARS, I don't even change its set-up for the seasons, except to add a flower here, or remove a crystal, or something.

Does anyone else have trouble altering their altar? I'm wanting to completely redo it in the near future, but my OCD is at odds with me.

Mostly art.

Comment

Took me an entire summer of thinking about, but I finally did it!

BEFORE: This has been the relative set up of my altar through 4 moves, and approximately 10 years. A seashell moves once in a while, I add a new ornament, or break something, but overall, this is what it's looked like. I don't decorate for the seasons, or ever move something from it's 'just so' spot. The cabinet used to be a washroom cabinet, that I painted white with stars and moons when I was 15. Some of the stuff on there isn't even altar stuff - it's just stuff I put there because I needed a surface to shove things. Also, sorry about the image size! My editing program was being wonky!

AFTER: I took the cabinet and repainted it (which has been two days of nightmarish painting. I was trying to paint over MDF with acrylic artist's paint. Every time I touched the damn thing it scratched. I replaced the knobs with some heavy brass ones, and I mounted it to the wall above my dresser instead, freeing up the top of my dresser to put other things.

I made an altar cloth out of some asian silk I have (I finished the edges with a glue gun, I was being lazy), and the box is a handcarved reclaimed cedarwood box I bought from a guy on the Queen Charlottes during my bike trip in August. Inside the cabinet I always keep my essential oils, salts, and incenses, and I moved my crystals and bindi dots and runes to the wooden cedar box. The little salt bowl is a bowl made from fluorite (which BROKE yesterday! What you see is a bowl glued back together with locktite - stupid thing. A pebble fell off the shelf (you can't see it, but the top shelf has pebbles on it), and shattered the little bowl. I fixed it the best I could.)

The feathers are peregrine falcon, from the Canadian arctic (as is the polar bear - it's handcarved soapstone from Iqaluit). The seashells are from all over - the ones on the wall are from Thailand, the ones on the shelf (I think) are Canadian. I have a lot, and I forget where they all come from sometimes.

A FW Original. I wanted to put it someplace special.

That's my new altar!

Mostly art.

Comment

Oh V it's fab! It was nice before, but the idea of mounting the cabinet to the wall is great! I know what you mean about getting into a rut with your altar. I love mine as it is, so I bet it stays basically the same for a long time. I am planning on putting up some shelves at the sides (not over where the candles are though), but now I'm wondering if the wardrobe would be strong enough to take two corner cabinets at either side. Yeah, thinking of stealing your idea. Haha

Oh btw, if anyone knows of a kitten-proof way to light candles on my altar, I'm all ears. I was so thrilled at being able to leave the doors open and keep an eye on candles I've left lit, but now little Pie is just too easily attracted by all the feathers and shiny things.. I've still been sitting there and speaking to my gods, but I don't dare light candles unless Magpie is sleeping or playing in the yard.

Comment

Working...
                                X