Comment

Re: Pagan Altars

^Very nice roving_gypsy
      "Otwarty świat; rany zamknięte."
      - Open world; Wounds closed.

Comment

I haven't had an altar in years. :-[
        I really need to set them up. I want to do a few around my apartment, but they'll have to be small because my space is limited. Also, there is the issue that I may need to make it fairly inconspicuous so that family doesn't give me weird looks when they visit. (My family is catholic and doesn't know I consider myself pagan. :-X)

Comment

[quote author=Nyx link=topic=109.msg10854#msg10854 date=1289237155]
          I haven't had an altar in years. :-[
          I really need to set them up. I want to do a few around my apartment, but they'll have to be small because my space is limited. Also, there is the issue that I may need to make it fairly inconspicuous so that family doesn't give me weird looks when they visit. (My family is catholic and doesn't know I consider myself pagan. :-X)
          [/quote]

And surely it's also possible to put for example pictures and/or statues representng your gods away from the sight when you're family members are coming to visit? Though it might be an easier option indeed to have something symbolic representing them on the altar. For example I hold those two tealight holders on my altar for the soft, intuitive feminine side and strong, rational and masculine side (i'd say goddess if i believed in personal deities). Round and white is for feminine and the green one with sharper edges is for masculine.

Comment

Your Altar?

Don't know if anyone has posted this yet, but I figured it would be educational to see other people's altars. Post a pic and explain what you have on it, why, and what your future plans are. I am in the process of putting mine together. Right now I have an empty bedroom so I use that space as my own to practice in. I have a tray that looks like this:

But it is in the flat position with an altar cloth I put over it. I use this tray because it is somewhat portable so if I need to take it to another room or outside for some reason I can. So far on my altar I have a few hand made candles, a pentagram, and a picture of my grandparents on it. I will post a real picture of it soon.
            sigpic

Comment

Altar Threads merged.
              �Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted. And experience is often the most valuable thing you have to offer.�
              ― Randy Pausch, The Last Lecture
              Sneak Attack
              Avatar picture by the wonderful and talented TJSGrimm.

Comment

[quote author=Juniper link=topic=109.msg15449#msg15449 date=1290298078]
                Altar Threads merged.
                [/quote]

Thank You!
                sigpic

Comment

My altar got smashed I gotta start all over again now...
                  "Otwarty świat; rany zamknięte."
                  - Open world; Wounds closed.

Comment

I live in an obnoxiously Christian house so my altar is in a dresser drawer right now, but its quite nice.

I'll take a photo when I can.
                    No one tells the wind which way to blow.

Comment

If I may, I'd like to post my very first altar.

I don't have any magickal tools, per se, so I just tried to create something from things I could find or had around the house. My sun candle is in the center on a red plate with five red tea lights. I made the pentagram in the back out of evergreen sticks I found laying around outside. The candlesticks are borrowed, but they're made of crystal, which I thought was perfect for the solstice, since it allows light to pass through it. The candles represent the dual aspect of the divine, male and female, Lord and Lady or however else one's tradition might call it. I have my rabbit paperweight as a fertility symbol, since I didn't have anything in the shape of a stag. I also have my Celtic spiral necklace to represent rebirth and creativity.

I really enjoyed creating this for the first time and I'm really looking forward to the next 12 days. I am already thinking up neat things for Imbolc and can't wait to see what spiritual fruits having an altar all year long might bring me.
                      How very special are we
                      For just a moment to be
                      Part of life's eternal rhyme

Comment

^ very beautiful
                        sigpic

Comment

Winterviolet, your altar is absolutely STUNNING.

I can't wait until I move so I can finally set up an alter.

Comment

[quote author=Anu link=topic=109.msg23917#msg23917 date=1292956073]
                            Winterviolet, your altar is absolutely STUNNING.
                            [/quote]

I agree !
                            What you see depends on what you are looking for.

Comment

I tend to think of my altar as the top of the bookshelf in my bedroom, but seeing all these lovely photos made me realize that my collection of "stuff" on the shelf next to my computer monitor is actually an altar. And then there's the four-faced bust (maiden, mother, crone, green man) on top of the bookshelf in the living room. And a couple of pentacles on the dining room wall, one is a grapevine wreath that I wove into a pentagram, the other is a star shaped copper cake pan.
                              ------------------------

Of course I'm crazy, but that doesn't mean I'm wrong.
                              - robert anton wilson -

Comment

Thank you all; you're very kind. I think that an altar can be pretty much whatever you can make it, whether it's a bookshelf or a drawer or a shoebox. Believe me, I know how that goes. Mine is on my dresser because I don't live in a large place where I can have my own space. I really relished making everything on my own. I think it makes things so personal and meaningful if you use what you've got. Being sort of a newly practicing Pagan, I tried to resist the idea that I had to buy lots of fancy tools. I am sure I will get a few of my own in time, but really, it's what I put into it that has made it feel satisfying.
                                How very special are we
                                For just a moment to be
                                Part of life's eternal rhyme

Comment

Working...
                                X