Publicly Funded Texas Schools Still Teaching Creationism

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Publicly Funded Texas Schools Still Teaching Creationism

I often wish that I had done drugs in the '70s. At least there'd be a reason for the flashbacks. - Rick the Runesinger

Blood and Country
    Tribe of my Tribe
    Clan of my Clan
    Kin of my Kin
    Blood of my Blood

For the Yule was upon them, the Yule; and they quaffed from the skulls of the slain,
    And shouted loud oaths in hoarse wit, and long quaffing swore laughing again.

Re: Publicly Funded Texas Schools Still Teaching Creationism

I read this on reddit then took my blood pressure meds.

All the craptastic news is either from Florida or Texas.

I just hit ignore till all the Mexicans take over. Then it will be text books about Quetzalcoatl
    Satan is my spirit animal

Comment

Someone once told me that there is no evolution, no mutation, because every creature has all possible genes, but only certain ones come out, like rolling dice, and it was all there from the beginning. Which of course, wasn't long ago, because the devil put dinosaur bones in the ground to fool people. She barely made it through high school, but was home schooling her kids.
      sigpic
      Can you hear me, Major Tom? I think I love you.

Comment

Originally posted by Hawkfeathers View Post
        Someone once told me that there is no evolution, no mutation, because every creature has all possible genes, but only certain ones come out, like rolling dice, and it was all there from the beginning. Which of course, wasn't long ago, because the devil put dinosaur bones in the ground to fool people. She barely made it through high school, but was home schooling her kids.
        I'd be ok with this sort of learning in small batches. Figuring the dumb will eventually weed themselves out. But dumb people know how to f like bunnies!
        Satan is my spirit animal

Comment

Originally posted by Medusa View Post
          I'd be ok with this sort of learning in small batches. Figuring the dumb will eventually weed themselves out. But dumb people know how to f like bunnies!
          They aren't allowed to be taught about contraception, or refuse to use it, but can't resist their urges and so have all the bebbies. Dumb heads.
          ThorSon's milkshake brings all the PF girls to the yard - Volcaniclastic

RIP

I have never been across the way
          Seen the desert and the birds
          You cut your hair short
          Like a shush to an insult
          The world had been yelling
          Since the day you were born
          Revolting with anger
          While it smiled like it was cute
          That everything was shit.

- J. Wylder

Comment

I can barely even read this stuff anymore

I used to be all indignant about it when I was single and in college (getting a biology degree)...now I'm tired and a mom...the best defense is a good offense. My kids know what evolution is, they know what DNA is, heck....they even know what sex is (and what asexual reproduction is). I figure their science teachers will love me...and if they are those fruitcake science teachers that "teach this because I have to, not because I believe it" I will be more than supportive when they get suspended, and we'll just be the smart homeschooling family.

ETA...and probably a convo all on its own. I've met Pagans that "don't believe in evolution"*...which I think is effing pathetically ridiculous.

*I don't "believe" in evolution either--rather, I accept and understand the scientific theory of evolution and the body of data that supports it...but these people don't "believe" in evolution at all, in favor of some nutty non-Christian divine creation. And yes, this is probably quite harsh...but intelligent design and creationism are on my hit list.
            Last edited by thalassa; 18 Jan 2014, 06:35.
            Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
            sigpic

Comment

I think the problem isn't that they're teaching creationism but that they are doing it in a science class. Say what you want about believing in creationism and not believing in evolution, but creationism is not a scientific theory and does not represent any of the conventions of science like posing a hypothesis, using scientific method to test that hypothesis, and all that jazz. I'm just going to take a stab that this is the wider issue here. Science class is for science.

Comment

Working...
              X