Incense and Oils

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Incense and Oils

I just realised where this thread is posted... in Hearth and Home. Which makes this entire alchemy discussion not only off topic but completely out of context.

Can I make a suggestion? Alchemy discussions probably belong in Ceremonies and Ritual or somewhere similar. I'd be glad to continue this discussion in a relevant thread there, but I feel that continuing it here is an unecessary derail.

- - - Updated - - -

Originally posted by Burning Shadow Alchemist
    You speak rather boldly for one who has not chosen to make the Great Work your life path. If you are going to attempt state facts, have truth behind them. Perhaps some research would benefit you greatly. As for the integrity of the sacred path you have no say, you are not an alchemist, you do not study or research the Great Work, nor do you show any respect when referring to it. It would be wise of you to have a better understanding of a subject before attempting such atrocity in the future.
    Please see my above post. If you want me to respond you can PM me or start a thread in a relevant board. As I said I'd be glad to continue discussing it there. But I wont continue derailing this thread.

Comment

Nevermind me.

Comment

Can a discussion of incense and oils be not alchemically related? I work with both (I don't make oils, I buy em, that's far more practical for me.) Because I am always interrested in those things, but Alchemy is not my forte.... I am unendingly klutzy and it would be a bad combination....
        http://catcrowsnow.blogspot.com/

But they were doughnuts of darkness. Evil damned doughnuts, tainted by the spawn of darkness.... Which could obviously only be redeemed by passing through the fiery inferno of my digestive tract.
        ~Jim Butcher

Comment

Originally posted by Maria de Luna View Post
          Can a discussion of incense and oils be not alchemically related? I work with both (I don't make oils, I buy em, that's far more practical for me.) Because I am always interrested in those things, but Alchemy is not my forte.... I am unendingly klutzy and it would be a bad combination....
          Yes, and usually is not related to alchemy. You're thinking of chemistry and distillation and that's something completely different.

Comment

Posts have been removed.

Be advised that if I enter this thread in an official capacity again then I'm sealing it.
            life itself was a lightsaber in his hands; even in the face of treachery and death and hopes gone cold, he burned like a candle in the darkness. Like a star shining in the black eternity of space.

Yoda: Dark Rendezvous

"But those men who know anything at all about the Light also know that there is a fierceness to its power, like the bare sword of the law, or the white burning of the sun." Suddenly his voice sounded to Will very strong, and very Welsh. "At the very heart, that is. Other things, like humanity, and mercy, and charity, that most good men hold more precious than all else, they do not come first for the Light. Oh, sometimes they are there; often, indeed. But in the very long run the concern of you people is with the absolute good, ahead of all else..."

John Rowlands, The Grey King by Susan Cooper

"You come from the Lord Adam and the Lady Eve", said Aslan. "And that is both honour enough to erect the head of the poorest beggar, and shame enough to bow the shoulders of the greatest emperor on earth; be content."

Aslan, Prince Caspian by CS Lewis

Comment

Originally posted by Burning Shadow Alchemist View Post
              What incense and oils do you burn for spell casting and ritual work? What do you burn just for peaceful aroma?

I like to use Cernunos oil and Abramelin oil for spells or rituals myself, and for lounging about I burn dragons blood or cinnamon incense.
              I use oils a fair amount in candlemaking, but not exclusively. I also use incense, though far more frequently.

As for scents? Whatever appeals to me at the time of purchase. A rough guess, I probably have more than 30 assorted "flavors".

Spell work, even ritual work, of mine, is ne'er dependant on smell, color or taste, so that part of the question is not applicable.

"Reason is not automatic. Those who deny it cannot be conquered by it." - Ayn Rand

"Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth." - Marcus Aurelius

"The very ink with which history is written is merely fluid prejudice." - Mark Twain

"The only gossip I'm interested in is things from the Weekly World News - 'Woman's bra bursts, 11 injured'. That kind of thing." - Johnny Depp

Comment

Originally posted by Maria de Luna View Post
                Yes. There's a connection, but they are not joined at the hip.
                Every moment of a life is a horrible tragedy, a slapstick comedy, dark nihilism, golden illumination, or nothing at all; depending on how we write the story we tell ourselves.

Comment

Originally posted by Rae'ya View Post
                  Ironically, I don't tend to use the classic all-rounders like frankincense much, because they are expensive and I couldn't afford them as I was learning. So in the beginning I made do with using more accessible oils and blending them to create similar effects. I could buy three oils for the price of something like frankincense... and still can.
                  Where do you buy from and what oils do you use to get the same effect as frankincense? The only reputable brand I can find in Bundy is Young Living but its really, really expensive. I'll look online if I have to and see if I can get things sent express post if inside Australia.

Also, someone on the thread mentioned that the scent matters more than the oil itself. I'm not sure about that, I feel like the oil would only be doing half its work. Isn't the chemical make-up of the oil supposed to effect your body somehow? What's other people's opinions on that?

Comment

I'm on the bus right now but remind me to reply later from home and I'll dig out some brand names and reply properly.

Comment

Wool do, ta.

Comment

Originally posted by Azvanna View Post
                        Also, someone on the thread mentioned that the scent matters more than the oil itself. I'm not sure about that, I feel like the oil would only be doing half its work. Isn't the chemical make-up of the oil supposed to effect your body somehow? What's other people's opinions on that?
                        It depends on what you're doing and your beliefs. If you're using an oil as medicine, then you'd want an actual essential oil. If you're using it for aromatherapy and you find that an artificial fragrance is able to produce results, then so be it. If you're using it for spellwork and believe that the power is in the scent and its ability to affect your mindset, then conceivably fragrance oils could work. On the other hand, if you believe the power is in the plants themselves and/or your practice is very nature-based, then you'd want pure essential oils. Or infused oils if you prefer.
                        Children love and want to be loved and they very much prefer the joy of accomplishment to the triumph of hateful failure. Do not mistake a child for his symptom.
                        -Erik Erikson

Comment

I like loose incense. I'm still learning but I find that I prefer to burn dried orange peels.

Comment

Originally posted by Amunet View Post
                            ...I prefer to burn dried orange peels.
                            Wow, never heard of someone doing this before! ^.^

Comment

Like Clive said, it depends...it depends on your goal and on how you plan to use it. Honestly, a lot of aromatherapy is bunk. But, some of it is legit. But, some of the reasons it can be legit be based in psychology rather than physiology...or on physiology that is prodded on by psychology. To be perfectly honest, (with the exception of homeopathy, which is complete bunk and only any good as a placebo) most complimentary/alternative medicine is like this (and some conventional medicine as well).

Some plants have antioxidant, antibacterial, antifungal, antiviral, etc properties by virtue of the chemicals they produce. Some plants have specific chemicals that do specific things in the body (like willow bark=salicylic acid=asprin) which can be used as medicine. In some cases, distilling the plant matter into the terpenes and other volitile oils will concentrate those properties (the chemical that is anti-bacterial or whatnot) into something that is useful to us. Clove oil, for example, is mostly eugenol, which acts as an analgesic--its chemical structure interferes with pain receptors...also, it kills bacteria and some fungi (I think it disrupts something in their cell walls, but I could be misremembering there) and anesthetizes fish...its a also toxic to the liver if too much is taken internally. Some EOs have effects when inhaled (lavender and eucalyptus, for one) for specific treatments, but clinical research is pretty mixed for most uses of inhaled EOs. Many herbs have medicinal qualities. But, those qualities aren't always best expressed in essential oils...certain chemicals are actually destroyed by the distillation process.
                              Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
                              sigpic

Comment

Wow, never heard of someone doing this before! ^.^
                                It smells pretty good ^_^

Comment

Working...
                                X