Freyja and ravens?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Freyja and ravens?

I heard today that ravens are Freyja's sacred bird. I knew she was able to turn into a falcon, but I heard she can also turn into a raven? Anyone else come across this info?

Re: Freyja and ravens?

There's nothing in the Lore linking ravens to Freya.
    I often wish that I had done drugs in the '70s. At least there'd be a reason for the flashbacks. - Rick the Runesinger

Blood and CountryTribe of my Tribe
    Clan of my Clan
    Kin of my Kin
    Blood of my Blood

For the Yule was upon them, the Yule; and they quaffed from the skulls of the slain,
    And shouted loud oaths in hoarse wit, and long quaffing swore laughing again.

Comment

Backing up Rick on this one...can you provide a reference to what said they were tied to her?

The closest thing to that I've ever heard before is very round about: people arguing that the Valkyries are like battlefield ravens. Since Freya is their leader, that might loosely tie her to the birds.

Everything lore I can think of ties ravens to Odin, though. Freya is always falcons and the big Norwegian Forest Cats.
      Great Grandmother's Kitchen

Comment

Originally posted by Dez View Post
        Backing up Rick on this one...can you provide a reference to what said they were tied to her?

The closest thing to that I've ever heard before is very round about: people arguing that the Valkyries are like battlefield ravens. Since Freya is their leader, that might loosely tie her to the birds.

Everything lore I can think of ties ravens to Odin, though. Freya is always falcons and the big Norwegian Forest Cats.
        It wasn't a specific reference, but a person. I absolutely agree with you both, just wanted to see if anyone else had heard of this or if I got stuck with someone with unreliable info

Comment

I know I am a bit late but I think you are confusing Freya with Morrighan, who appears in Celtic traditions.

Comment

Working...
          X