Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 60

Thread: Missionary Work, please reply and Debate

  1. #1
    Sr. Member sirz345's Avatar
    Reputation
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Posts
    107
    Gender
    male
    Religion
    Asatru
    Location
    Washington, United States
    Phrase
    If you're going through hell, keep going.

    Missionary Work, please reply and Debate

    Personally I dislike missionary work in all forms of any faith, it destroys culture and many (not always) times are trained to play mind games to convince someone they need that faith not that the faith needs them. I view going out and pursuing converts as turning religion into a power game, which it should not be, it should be about faith and connection with your beliefs and feeling comfortable, pursuing converts really just seems like a way to get people on board until the world is all that religion so that that faith will control everyone in that world. One of the reasons I became Shinto is their is no mortal authority that can change basic Shinto articles or doctrine, and when faiths command their followers to "push out those that are not of your faith." that shows that these men in high positions push for missionary work because they want more converts to do whatever they want because "uh uh god said so, yeah god did!", when in reality in the case of Crusades for example, they are gaining political power by having these many people under you, the Pope was to be rewarded with the Holy Land as a Holy Kingdom, he wanted to gain land and he used his religion's faithful to get it, I see missionaries as being a way to get more people under your religion so they also can be manipulated. Not to mention it almost always attacks basic fundamentals of indigenous cultures, Greece for example, do you think as Hellenistic Greece they would start putting crosses on everything where marvelous paintings of gods once went (amazing artwork even if you're not Hellenistic), sacking their own cultural treasures because they were of a 'Heathen' faith, or destroying artwork by covering up genitalia with whatever happens to be lying around just because the Pope says it is sinful when in reality it is what makes Greece well Greek. Missionary work destroyed culture there and it has happened in many other places, I do not mind other faiths usually but when they condone missionary work that really irks me the wrong way.

  2. #2
    Nihilistic Goddess Medusa's Avatar
    Reputation
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    10,247
    Religion
    LaVeyan Satanist
    Phrase
    A Clockwork orange

    Re: Missionary Work, please reply and Debate

    Can't you just post this in your I hate Mormons thread? Seriously. This isn't a blog on your hate of Mormons and everything Mormons. And if you say that's not what you are about, you should really re-think the two threads you've started.
    Satan is my spirit animal

  3. #3
    Time Lord Apostle Malflick's Avatar
    Reputation
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    1,380
    Gender
    male
    Religion
    Christian, worships Yahweh and Jesus, but doesn't care if you don't.

    Re: Missionary Work, please reply and Debate

    My former fiance went on a mission trip. She built houses for the poor, helped teach children to read, and assisted child rape victims with getting medical care they wouldn't otherwise have had. She didn't do any of that to manipulate people, she did it out of the goodness of her heart.

    Just because someone is part of a faith that has wronged you doesn't make every one of their actions despicable.

    I condone missionary work. If helping people in need is wrong, I'd rather be wrong.

    I get it, people have been unfair to you. But you're lumping them and all of their actions into a big box and sealing it off. Other people have the right to live their lives in a different way than you.

  4. #4
    The Gaze of the Abyss B. de Corbin's Avatar
    Reputation
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    8,293
    Religion
    Alchemist and Neo-American Redneck Buddhist
    Location
    Frozen Northern Michigan, near Thunder Bay
    Phrase
    Where are the tweezers?

    Re: Missionary Work, please reply and Debate

    Quote Originally Posted by Malflick View Post
    My former fiance went on a mission trip. She built houses for the poor, helped teach children to read, and assisted child rape victims with getting medical care they wouldn't otherwise have had. She didn't do any of that to manipulate people, she did it out of the goodness of her heart.
    It's very common where I live for various Christian groups to do that as well. To the best of my knowledge, they build much more than they preach.

    I can't see anything wrong with that, at all.
    Those who have suffered understand suffering and therefore extend their hand.

    I can't do everything, but I can do something.

  5. #5
    Sr. Member sirz345's Avatar
    Reputation
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Posts
    107
    Gender
    male
    Religion
    Asatru
    Location
    Washington, United States
    Phrase
    If you're going through hell, keep going.

    Re: Missionary Work, please reply and Debate

    I have never know that is common in other Christian groups, I whole-heartedly apologize and withdraw my statement.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by Medusa View Post
    Can't you just post this in your I hate Mormons thread? Seriously. This isn't a blog on your hate of Mormons and everything Mormons. And if you say that's not what you are about, you should really re-think the two threads you've started.
    Believe it or not Medusa, almost every religion has some kind of missionary work, I am not going to argue with you any further because it sounds to me that you're opinion will not change no matter what I tell you.

    - - - Updated - - -

    I am withdrawing from this thread and the theme of it, if a moderator sees this please delete the thread, as it serves no purpose other than taking up room.

  6. #6
    Time Lord Apostle Malflick's Avatar
    Reputation
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    1,380
    Gender
    male
    Religion
    Christian, worships Yahweh and Jesus, but doesn't care if you don't.

    Re: Missionary Work, please reply and Debate

    Quote Originally Posted by sirz345 View Post
    I have never know that is common in other Christian groups, I whole-heartedly apologize and withdraw my statement.
    Its all good. Thanks for accepting you didn't have all the information in this case.

  7. #7
    sea witch thalassa's Avatar
    Reputation
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    11,233
    Religion
    relational theophysis and bioregional witchery
    Location
    coastal Georgia
    Phrase
    *a little bad taste is like a nice dash of paprika*

    Re: Missionary Work, please reply and Debate

    Quote Originally Posted by sirz345 View Post
    I have never know that is common in other Christian groups, I whole-heartedly apologize and withdraw my statement.
    Most groups that go on missions are actually there to do good. Sure, they preach a bit...but they are honestly there to build houses and dig wells and things.
    BUT. Some groups aren't. Some groups ARE only there to sell the locals their version of the Bible and their image of Jesus. They are, to be sure, a minority...but they do exist.

    Don't apologize about the latter groups, they are living down to your expectations...just know that there are folks out there that AREN'T like that, and work on being more accurate when you describe stuff. There are always exceptions...always (ever hear the saying "the only absolute is that there are no absolutes" or "the only absolute in the universe is absolute 0"---okay, maybe that one was just my corny organic chemistry professor). Saying things like "all", "always", "everyone", "never", "no one"...usually that is really lazy writing, because its too often not true. I'm (ETA: there should have been a NOT here) saying this to beat up on you--because I'm NOT saying this to beat up on you (see, this is what happens when I try to post while parenting), I'm saying this because communicating effectively in a forum setting requires a certain degree of precision to over-ride the lack of context and visual cues that you get from an IRL conversation, or even an online chat with someone you know.
    Last edited by thalassa; 24 Jan 2014 at 16:35.
    “You have never answered but you did not need to. If I stand at the ocean I can hear you with your thousand voices. Sometimes you shout, hilarious laughter that taunts all questions. Other nights you are silent as death, a mirror in which the stars show themselves. Then I think you want to tell me something, but you never do. Of course I know I have written letters to no-one. But what if I find a trident tomorrow?" ~~Letters to Poseidon, Cees Nooteboom

    “We still carry this primal relationship to the Earth within our consciousness, even if we have long forgotten it. It is a primal recognition of the wonder, beauty, and divine nature of the Earth. It is a felt reverence for all that exists. Once we bring this foundational quality into our consciousness, we will be able to respond to our present man-made crisis from a place of balance, in which our actions will be grounded in an attitude of respect for all of life. This is the nature of real sustainability.”
    ~~Llewellyn Vaughan-Lee

    "We are the offspring of history, and must establish our own paths in this most diverse and interesting of conceivable universes--one indifferent to our suffering, and therefore offering us maximal freedom to thrive, or to fail, in our own chosen way."
    ~~Stephen Jay Gould, Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of History

    "Humans are not rational creatures. Now, logic and rationality are very helpful tools, but there’s also a place for embracing our subjectivity and thinking symbolically. Sometimes what our so-called higher thinking can’t or won’t see, our older, more primitive intuition will." John Beckett

    Pagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible

  8. #8
    Live and learn anunitu's Avatar
    Reputation
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    10,988
    Religion
    stregheria

    Re: Missionary Work, please reply and Debate

    All religion is tricky,mainly because it tends to evolve over time.One reason for the "proselytizing" it seems from what I have garnered from people that follow this path in religion is that there is a "Belief" that YOUR personal path to heaven depends on how many others you can "Convert".
    MAGIC is MAGIC,black OR white or even blood RED

    all i ever wanted was a normal life and love.
    NO TERF EVER WE belong Too.
    don't stop the tears.let them flood your soul.




    http://www.paganforum.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=186&dateline=1330020104

    my new page here,let me know what you think.


    nothing but the shadow of what was

  9. #9
    The Gaze of the Abyss B. de Corbin's Avatar
    Reputation
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    8,293
    Religion
    Alchemist and Neo-American Redneck Buddhist
    Location
    Frozen Northern Michigan, near Thunder Bay
    Phrase
    Where are the tweezers?

    Re: Missionary Work, please reply and Debate

    It's a generally cheesy movie, but I'm reminded of Burt Wonderstone (which does have a few funny parts.

    After the two "best friend" magicians break up, one goes on a "humanitarian tour" of third world countries. His idea of doing good is teaching magic tricks to the sick and hungry.

    Later on in the movie, when asked if he did any good, he says something to the effect of "No. What they really needed was food and clean water."
    Those who have suffered understand suffering and therefore extend their hand.

    I can't do everything, but I can do something.

  10. #10
    sea witch thalassa's Avatar
    Reputation
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    11,233
    Religion
    relational theophysis and bioregional witchery
    Location
    coastal Georgia
    Phrase
    *a little bad taste is like a nice dash of paprika*

    Re: Missionary Work, please reply and Debate

    Quote Originally Posted by B. de Corbin View Post
    It's a generally cheesy movie, but I'm reminded of Burt Wonderstone (which does have a few funny parts.

    After the two "best friend" magicians break up, one goes on a "humanitarian tour" of third world countries. His idea of doing good is teaching magic tricks to the sick and hungry.

    Later on in the movie, when asked if he did any good, he says something to the effect of "No. What they really needed was food and clean water."
    Oh, brilliant! All the much more for being true...
    “You have never answered but you did not need to. If I stand at the ocean I can hear you with your thousand voices. Sometimes you shout, hilarious laughter that taunts all questions. Other nights you are silent as death, a mirror in which the stars show themselves. Then I think you want to tell me something, but you never do. Of course I know I have written letters to no-one. But what if I find a trident tomorrow?" ~~Letters to Poseidon, Cees Nooteboom

    “We still carry this primal relationship to the Earth within our consciousness, even if we have long forgotten it. It is a primal recognition of the wonder, beauty, and divine nature of the Earth. It is a felt reverence for all that exists. Once we bring this foundational quality into our consciousness, we will be able to respond to our present man-made crisis from a place of balance, in which our actions will be grounded in an attitude of respect for all of life. This is the nature of real sustainability.”
    ~~Llewellyn Vaughan-Lee

    "We are the offspring of history, and must establish our own paths in this most diverse and interesting of conceivable universes--one indifferent to our suffering, and therefore offering us maximal freedom to thrive, or to fail, in our own chosen way."
    ~~Stephen Jay Gould, Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of History

    "Humans are not rational creatures. Now, logic and rationality are very helpful tools, but there’s also a place for embracing our subjectivity and thinking symbolically. Sometimes what our so-called higher thinking can’t or won’t see, our older, more primitive intuition will." John Beckett

    Pagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible

Similar Threads

  1. Suicide: a different debate
    By Medusa in forum Catacombs
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 21 Nov 2012, 21:14
  2. Daftest Debate ever
    By Stoph in forum Catacombs
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 17 Nov 2012, 09:11
  3. Debate Vanatru
    By Gunnarr in forum Heathen Traditions
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 26 May 2012, 12:33
  4. Parenting Debate: To Vax or no?
    By thalassa in forum Catacombs
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 18 Jun 2011, 05:17

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •