X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Missionary Work, please reply and Debate

Originally posted by Denarius View Post
    Buddhism is a missionary religion, with a broad history of proselytism.
    I am just curious as I have never heard of a Buddhist mission, I have heard of monks, but could you give an example of Buddhist missionary work? I would just like to be educated so if something like this ever comes up I have something to reference.

Comment

Lol. Think of our garb as a fashion HISSSS. It pretty much means 'go away'.
      Though individually we do work for our community at times. But without the pushing the Have you found Satan schpeel.
      Satan is my spirit animal

Comment

Originally posted by ChainLightning View Post
        Sorry, I was just simply going by the measure of who did missionary work, since those all are apparently 'western religions', now.

And the only non-pagan, non-missionary religion I could locate was Judaism.

No, I think the problem isn't with which religions are so-called western religions, as much as it's about [invasive] missionary work that can be ignored versus not ignoring missionary work that is deemed invasive.
        Sometimes you can't ignore invasive missionary work when the only school for miles in your village in Kenya is basically just a 'Jesus Camp' that teaches no practical or even semi-practical skills.

Comment

Originally posted by sirz345 View Post
          Sometimes you can't ignore invasive missionary work when the only school for miles in your village in Kenya is basically just a 'Jesus Camp' that teaches no practical or even semi-practical skills.
          Because no school is clearly preferable....

Do you go to a school in Kenya? Do you have any proof they don't teach reading and writing and math as well as Jesus? Because seriously, I'd rather have literate Christian-influenced kids, than illiterate ones without any influence except crime lords.

Comment

Originally posted by Medusa View Post
            Before I go on..what religions are considered Western and which are not? Or are we talking about Western types of folks. IE White folks in the Usa?
            I am not using western to refer to a religion but rather the culture, so yes like white folks from the first world. It seems the others are using to refer to the religious groups associated with the west. Technically, any religion that is popular or core to Western culture (I don't mean like cowboys ) could be considered Western.

- - - Updated - - -

Originally posted by Rowanwood View Post
            Because no school is clearly preferable....

Do you go to a school in Kenya? Do you have any proof they don't teach reading and writing and math as well as Jesus? Because seriously, I'd rather have literate Christian-influenced kids, than illiterate ones without any influence except crime lords.
            I will elaborate, this is obviously not universal, there are volunteer manned schools that are like what I mentioned, and ones that do teach practical schools. You don't have any proof that Kenya is full of crime lords, in fact Kenya is one of the better off nations in Africa, a GDP of $44 billion is not too shabby, again I did rattle off Kenya as it was the first African countries that came to mind, as my friend just called me from Mombasa.

Comment

You know I just re-read the first post. I can't debate with you. You really do hate Missionary work.

Comment

Because I don't know for sure...

I'm guessing there are missionary programs that are being led that are not by Westerners. Or am I way off?
                Yes, there are.
                Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
                sigpic

Comment

You know I just re-read the first post. I can't debate with you. You really do hate Missionary work.
                  My biggest beef with pursuing converts, especially when nothing in your holy book says to, is it seems to make it less about the spirituality and faith, and more about the number of people following. I do not hate mission work, in fact I support the kind that helps people, but pursuing only converts and going to places just for converts makes it feel like they want power, not that they are following it because they have faith in it, but because they want power, I understand that it comes off as I hate missionary work, but what I hate is invasive missionary work.

- - - Updated - - -

Originally posted by thalassa View Post
                  Thanks for the example, I was trying to think of one and this is a great one!

Comment

My biggest beef with pursuing converts, especially when nothing in your holy book says to, is it seems to make it less about the spirituality and faith, and more about the number of people following. I do not hate mission work, in fact I support the kind that helps people, but pursuing only converts and going to places just for converts makes it feel like they want power, not that they are following it because they have faith in it, but because they want power, I understand that it comes off as I hate missionary work, but what I hate is invasive missionary work.
                    School me. I'm unaware of any missionary work that only involves proselytizing. Doesn't all missionary work come with 'work' of some kind? I'm not taking a stance. But I'm hedging people don't just go over some African country and rain down bibles and nothing else. There has got to be something with that.

Comment

[...]but what I hate is invasive missionary work.
                      I know a couple of Lesbians that would agree with this.
                      In answer to the question of why it happened, I offer the modest proposal that our Universe is simply one of those things which happen from time to time. ~~ Edward P. Tryon

Comment

Originally posted by Oshii View Post
                        I know a couple of Lesbians that would agree with this.
                        Could you elaborate?

Comment

She's making a play on words. I'm not entirely sure if it's one that can be explained in detail outside the adult section without drawing staff attention.

Comment

See in missionary the ha ha is on top of the hoo hoo
                            and lesbians don't like ha has attached to men.
                            They like hoo hoos
                            And ha has attatched to hoo hoos.

The end.

Comment

They like hoo hoos

The end.
                              I couldn't have said it better myself. Seriously, couldn't...
                              I often wish that I had done drugs in the '70s. At least there'd be a reason for the flashbacks. - Rick the Runesinger

Blood and Country
                              Tribe of my Tribe
                              Clan of my Clan
                              Kin of my Kin
                              Blood of my Blood

For the Yule was upon them, the Yule; and they quaffed from the skulls of the slain,
                              And shouted loud oaths in hoarse wit, and long quaffing swore laughing again.

Comment

They like hoo hoos

The end.
                                I love you so much.

Comment

Working...
                                X