This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pagan Forum's Ultimate Book List

Over the years, we've had many threads relating to which books would be good for this, or good for that. Newbies looking for the best books on wicca to read, or witches looking to expand their craft, or just open-minded individuals looking to learn something new about another path. Before the Crash, we had a thread called "Book List" (and I have the link saved still for some reason, so if someone is able to retrieve from the link, that would be neat), and anyways, I thought we could start a new one, that's stickied at the top, and whenever someone has a really good book they read about X, they can post it here, and we can add it to the list.

WICCA/WITCHCRAFT:
    Brondwin, C.C: Maiden Magick
    Adler, Margot: Drawing Down the Moon
    Buckland, Raymond: Ray Buckland's Complete Book of Witchcraft (the Big Blue Book)
    Buckland, Raymond: Wicca for One, the Path of Solitary Witchcraft
    Connor, Kerri: The Pocket Spell Creator
    Cunningham, Scott: Living Wicca: A Further Guide for the Solitary Practitioner
    Cunningham, Scott: Wicca: A Guide for the Solitary Practitioner
    Farrar, Stewart and Janet: The Witches Bible
    Farrar, Stewart and Janet: The Witches God
    Farrar, Stewart and Janet: The Witches Goddess
    Fisher, Amber Laine: Philosophy of Wicca
    Hutton, Ronald: Triumph of the Moon
    Crowley, Vivianne: Wicca: The Old Religion In the New Millennium
    Penczak, Christopher: Inner Temple of Witchcraft
    Starhawk: The Spiral Dance
    Telesco, Patricia: A Charmed Life
    Telesco, Patricia: An Enchanted Life
    Three Initiates: The Kybalion
    Sylvan, Dianne: The Circle Within

ETA (thalassa):
    Wicca Craft by Gerina Dunwich
    Wicca: The Old Religion In the New Millennium by Vivianne Crowley

CORNISH/TRAD WITCHCRAFT:
    Traditional Witchcraft. A Cornish Book of Ways - Gemma Gary
    The Black Toad - Gemma Gary
    Popular Magic: Cunning Folk in English History - Owen Davies
    A Grimoire for Modern Cunning Folk - Peter Paddon
    Treading the Mill - Nigel Pearson
    Old Tradition Crafte - (translated by) Robin Artisan
    West Country Witches - Michael Howard
    Pretty much anything by Doreen Valiente, a Wiccan author but her work should not be avoided, in my opinion.

MAGIC(K)
    Nummits and Crummits - Sarah Hewitt (Just got into this book, but its great.)
    Defences Against the Witches Craft - John Canard
    Protection and Reversal Magic, Beyond 101 - Jason Miller
    Crones Book of Charms and Spells - Valerie Worth
    The Element Encyclopedia of 5,000 Spells - Judika Illes

HERBALISM/GREEN WITCHCRAFT (KITCHEN, HEARTH, COTTAGE, ETC)
    Cunningham, Scott; Harrington, David: The Magical Household
    Cunningham, Scott: The Complete Book of Incense, Oils, & Brews
    Gray, Beverley: The Boreal Herbal
    Green, Aliza: Field Guide to Herbs & Spices
    Loeber, Shannon; Edwards, Mary Elsie: Wisewoman’s Cookery
    Moura, Ann: Grimoire for the Green Witch
    Natural Health Magazine: 1001 Natural Remedies
    Peterson Field Guides: Western Medicinal Plants and Herbs
    Weiss, Gaea & Shandor: Growing and Using Healing Herbs
    Telesco, Patricia: Gardening with the Goddess
    The Healing Herbs – The Ultimate Guide to the Curative Power of Nature’s Medicine
    Traditional Witches Formulary and Potion-making Guide - Sophia DiGregorio
    The Complete Book of Incense, Oils and Brews - Scott Cunningham
    Book of Herbs - Sybil Leek
    Encyclopedia of Magical Herbs - Scott Cunningham
    Herbs and Things. A Compendium of Practical and Exotic Herb Lore - Jeanne Rose
    Encyclopedia of Folk Medicine. Old World and New World Traditions - Gabrielle Hatfield

DRUIDRY:

Blood and Mistletoe: The History of the Druids in Britain by Ronald Hutton
    The Druidry Handbook: Spiritual Practice Rooted in the Living Earth by John Michael Greer*
    A Brief history of the Druids by Peter Beresford Ellis
    The Pagan Religions of the Ancient British Isles by Ronald Hutton
    The World of the Celts by Simon James
    The Druid Renaissance: The Voice of Druidry Today by Phillip Carr Gomm
    The Apple Branch by Alexei Kondratiev
    Ritual: A Druid’s Guide to Life, Love & Inspiration by Emma Restall Orr
    Glamoury: Magic of the Celtic Green World by Steve Blamires
    In search of the Indo-Europeans by J. P. Mallory
    The Book of Druidry by Ross Nichols

PHILOSOPHY/SCIENCE OF RELIGION:
    Cicero: The Nature of the Gods
    Frazer, Sir James: The Golden Bough: A Study in Magic and Religion
    Haynes, Natalie: The Ancient Guide to Modern Life
    Capra, Fritjof: The Tao of Physics
    Bolen, Jean Shinoda: Goddesses in Everywoman
    Plato: Symposium

EASTERN RELIGIONS:
    Chopra, Tarun: Kamasutra
    Hoff, Benjamin: The Tao of Pooh
    Hoff, Benjamin: The Te of the Piglet
    Lad, Dr. Vasant: Ayurveda (A Practical Guide)
    Suzuki, Shunryu: Zen Mind, Beginner’s Mind
    Warner, Brad: Hardcore Zen (1)
    Warner, Brad: Sex, Sin, and Zen (4)
    Warner, Brad: Sit Down and Shut Up (2)
    Warner, Brad: Zen Wrapped in Karma Dipped in Chocolate (3)

GREEK AND ROMAN:
    Greek Religion by Walter Burkett
    Romans and their Gods in the Age of Augustus by R. M. Ogilvie
    An Introduction to Roman Religion by John Schied

MYTH:
    Ashe, Geoffrey: The Discovery of King Arthur
    Evans-Wentz, W.Y: The Fairy Faith in Celtic Countries
    Homer: The Iliad
    Homer: The Odyssey
    Montgomerie, Norah & William: The Folk Tales of Scotland

HISTORY:
    Jones, Prudence; Pennick, Nigel: A History of Pagan Europe
    Kors, Alan Charles; Peters, Edward: Witchcraft in Europe 400 – 1700

MISC:
    Gilchrist, Cherry: Russian Magic
    Melody: Love is in the Earth – A Kaleidoscope of Crystals
    Woolfolk, Joanna Martime: The Only Astrology Book You’ll Ever Need

A booklist for Naturalistic Paganism: http://humanisticpaganism.com/books/

(will add to this as it grows)
    Last edited by thalassa; 24 Feb 2015, 06:38.

Mostly art.

Re: Pagan Forum's Ultimate Book List

You listed two of my favorites V. "Drawing Down The Moon" by Margot Adler and my first book on Wicca "A Guide for the Solitary Practitioner" by Scott Cunningham. I also liked "Living Wicca" A Further Guide for the Solitary Practitioner also by Scott Cunningham. I also like "Grimoire for the Green Witch" by Ann Moura. I know this type of book listing is subjective to ones personal likes and dislikes and there are few perfect books in the world. I do enjoy seeing what other people read and checking those books out. Thanks for bring this thread back to life V.
    Gargoyles watch over me...I can hear them snicker in the dark.

Pull the operating handle (which protrudes from the right side of the receiver) smartly to the rear and release it.

Comment

It's not necessarily Wiccan, but I'd say anyone who's into, or learning about, alternative spirituality, paganism, wicca, witchcraft, magic etc. should read The Kybalion. It had a massive influence on 20th century occultism and spirituality and the principles contained in it underlay the theory and cosmology of a lot of wiccan/neo-pagan systems.

Comment

Philosophy of Wicca by Amber Laine Fisher is a very beautiful and thoughtful look at Wiccan conceptions of deity, ethics, gender, and more.
        The Circle Within by Dianne Sylvan is an experiential book on creating a living, ongoing Wiccan spiritual life.

Comment

Good book suggestions!

Originally posted by Aeran View Post
          It's not necessarily Wiccan, but I'd say anyone who's into, or learning about, alternative spirituality, paganism, wicca, witchcraft, magic etc. should read The Kybalion. It had a massive influence on 20th century occultism and spirituality and the principles contained in it underlay the theory and cosmology of a lot of wiccan/neo-pagan systems.
          They don't have to be Wiccan books. My list started that way because I was compiling from a thread about assisting a new person with Wicca. Once my personal library is up here, and I suspect once Thal posts with her massive book list things will be significantly non-Wiccan, lol. Just books in general about paganism, or even the world around us (this includes books on foraging, nature, conservation, etc because that is all part of what we should be thinking about as pagans)

Mostly art.

Comment

I would recommend "The Golden Bough",though not about pagan beliefs in general,it does offer many insights into culture and history of tribal and what might be the understanding of where beliefs came from. I own a copy,but since it is now out of copyright,you can get a digital copy from "Project Gutenberg" online.
            MAGIC is MAGIC,black OR white or even blood RED

all i ever wanted was a normal life and love.
            NO TERF EVER WE belong Too.
            don't stop the tears.let them flood your soul.

sigpic

my new page here,let me know what you think.

nothing but the shadow of what was

witchvox
            http://www.witchvox.com/vu/vxposts.html

Comment

Originally posted by volcaniclastic View Post
              suspect once Thal posts with her massive book list things will be significantly non-Wiccan, lol. Just books in general about paganism, or even the world around us (this includes books on foraging, nature, conservation, etc because that is all part of what we should be thinking about as pagans)
              I won't comment on all the books there. as the ones I read are all good and a few there I have on my to read list.

but I would highly recommend :
              Drawing Down the Moon by Margot Adler
              Triumph of the Moon by Ronald Hutton

The Spiral Dance by Starhawk. I would recommend the 20th anniversary edition as you would see how someone's view and practices change after 10 year cycles.
              Do Not Meddle In The Affairs Of Dragons, For You Are Crunchy And Good With Kethup.

Comment

I would add A Charmed Life and An Enchanted Life by Patricia Telesco
                "The doer alone learneth." -- Friedrich Nietzsche

Comment

So I added my own personal library to the list. There's a number of field guides I haven't included, however, since they are local to the regions I live, or grew up in, and won't be relevant to anyone else. But I definitely recommend getting herbal guides and field guides for the regions you live in.

Mostly art.

Comment

I have my Field Guide to North American Rocks and Minerals one the shelf next to my computer
                    "The doer alone learneth." -- Friedrich Nietzsche

Comment

I don't think anyone's mentioned Rae Beth yet - her book Hedgewitch was one of the books that got me started, and is clear and easy to follow. I also second the mention of Ronald Hutton - just about anything he's written is worth reading (though he's also written books on the English Civil War which are not about paganism).

Comment

Originally posted by volcaniclastic View Post
                        once Thal posts with her massive book list

lol...I need to update that thing!

Originally posted by Evaine View Post
                        I don't think anyone's mentioned Rae Beth yet - her book Hedgewitch was one of the books that got me started, and is clear and easy to follow. I also second the mention of Ronald Hutton - just about anything he's written is worth reading (though he's also written books on the English Civil War which are not about paganism).

Probably because there are some people on here that have issues with that book. Its not a bad book, per se...but I wouldn't call it a book about how to be a hedgewitch.

I'm pretty sure that someone will eventually mention Ann Moura too...and its not that her books are necessarily bad (they aren't my cup of tea), but its not really what I consider being a "green witch" either...but now that she's turned it into Green Witch
                        Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
                        sigpic

Comment

Oh don't even get me started on the hedge witch books. I don't even use the term in casual conversation with other pagans because they all think I'm a kitchen witch then. Meh.

Not that there's anything wrong with kitchen witchery but it is not the same. Entire other discussion.
                          Last edited by Rowanwood; 02 Feb 2014, 18:07.

Comment

Originally posted by Monk View Post
                            You listed two of my favorites V. "Drawing Down The Moon" by Margot Adler and my first book on Wicca "A Guide for the Solitary Practitioner" by Scott Cunningham. I also liked "Living Wicca" A Further Guide for the Solitary Practitioner also by Scott Cunningham. I also like "Grimoire for the Green Witch" by Ann Moura. I know this type of book listing is subjective to ones personal likes and dislikes and there are few perfect books in the world. I do enjoy seeing what other people read and checking those books out. Thanks for bring this thread back to life V.
                            I mentioned Ann Moura early in the post and like most of my books I use it as a reference source and not the final word by any means. I like to read from different authors and amend what I find feels right to me and cast off that which leaves a bad taste in my head. Not everyone likes or agrees on all things and this goes doubly with books and authors of resource(As I consider most books on Pagan/Wicca) materials. Especially ones who come across as having the final word on the subject(read ultimate expert.)combined with the attitude of you have to do it this way or your wasting your time. I do like authors like our own Tylluan Penry's whose book "Seeking the Green" and Carl McColman's book"The Complete Idiot's Guide to Paganism. Because they are just that "guides" and both offer information with basic concepts on the topics covered in them. They also promote further exploration on the readers part along with encouraging finding what is right for you without the attitude of because I said it and that's the way it is.

I hope I don't sound pissed because I'm not, I just tend to come off sounding that way.
                            Last edited by Monk; 03 Feb 2014, 07:09.
                            Gargoyles watch over me...I can hear them snicker in the dark.

Pull the operating handle (which protrudes from the right side of the receiver) smartly to the rear and release it.

Comment

Originally posted by Monk View Post
                              " and Carl McColman's book"The Complete Idiot's Guide to Paganism. Because they are just that "guides" and both offer information with basic concepts on the topics covered in them. They also promote further exploration on the readers part along with encouraging finding what is right for you without the attitude of because I said it and that's the way it is.
                              this is good book. it will definitely give a basics of the major aspects of the more popular paths of Paganism. so I would definitely second it.
                              Do Not Meddle In The Affairs Of Dragons, For You Are Crunchy And Good With Kethup.

Comment

Working...
                              X