Clear All

Re: Pagan Forum's Ultimate Book List

can we sticky this?

Comment

Originally posted by loststarshine View Post
      can we sticky this?

sure!

(PS I updated my book list a little bit)
      Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
      sigpic

Comment

. thank you.

Comment

Originally posted by thalassa View Post
          Dang it, Thal, I just got done reading through that list this morning to take some titles down to the library... Now I have to do it again?!
          We are what we are. Nothing more, nothing less. There is good and evil among every kind of people. It's the evil among us who rule now. -Anne Bishop, Daughter of the Blood

I wondered if he could ever understand that it was a blessing, not a sin, to be graced with more than one love.
          It could be complicated; of course it could be complicated. And it opened one up to the possibility of more pain and loss.
          Still, it was a blessing I would never relinquish. Love, genuine love, was always a cause for joy.
          -Jacqueline Carey, Naamah's Curse

Service to your fellows is the root of peace.

Comment

Kami No Michi: The Way of the Kami: The Life and Thought of a Shinto Priest by Yukitaka Yamamoto

The book is written by the Guji (High Priest) of the Tsubaki Grand Shrine, Yukitaka Yamamoto, who is the 96th Guji to serve the shrine from the Yamamoto family consecutively. Its a pretty short book at 126 pages, but I found it to be a very good read and very interesting and informative. It is essentially part autobiography and part a book about the Shinto religion. There is actually an online copy of the book which is made available for free by the Tsubaki Grand Shrine of America, which is the chapter of the Tsubaki Grand Shrine in the States.

Here's the link to that copy of the book.

Comment

Originally posted by Shahaku View Post
              Dang it, Thal, I just got done reading through that list this morning to take some titles down to the library... Now I have to do it again?!
              Lol, wait a few weeks, I have about two (handwritten) pages of books to add...and that is before browsing through my kindle!!

Plus, ya know...I'm updating the other booklists too, and starting a new one.
              Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
              sigpic

Comment

My apologies if this is a strange question, but I'm a bit confused. I'd always heard that Cunningham wasn't a good source of information... because of the whole not-actually-teaching-Wicca thing. Is it just that he uses an inaccurate label, but is otherwise useful... or have I just heard wrong?

Comment

Originally posted by underthesun View Post
                  My apologies if this is a strange question, but I'm a bit confused. I'd always heard that Cunningham wasn't a good source of information... because of the whole not-actually-teaching-Wicca thing. Is it just that he uses an inaccurate label, but is otherwise useful... or have I just heard wrong?
                  It really depends on what you're using him for. I don't really take any of his wiccan teachings to heart (but again, I'm not wiccan). One of the first books I read when I was starting out was his Wicca for Solitary Witches (that's not what it's actually called. Hm, Wicca 101? Oh! Wicca for One! That's it) ...and I mean, it started me down the path, but that's all I can say about it.

His magical encycopaedia's though, I enjoy those. His book on magical herbs is informative, and I have his incense, oils, and brews book, and it's got some good magical recipes in it.

Really though, with every book and every source you read, you should take it with a grain of salt. Even history textbooks are only telling a one-sided story.

Mostly art.

Comment

Originally posted by volcaniclastic View Post
                    It really depends on what you're using him for. I don't really take any of his wiccan teachings to heart (but again, I'm not wiccan). One of the first books I read when I was starting out was his Wicca for Solitary Witches (that's not what it's actually called. Hm, Wicca 101? Oh! Wicca for One! That's it) ...and I mean, it started me down the path, but that's all I can say about it.

His magical encycopaedia's though, I enjoy those. His book on magical herbs is informative, and I have his incense, oils, and brews book, and it's got some good magical recipes in it.

Really though, with every book and every source you read, you should take it with a grain of salt. Even history textbooks are only telling a one-sided story.
                    Fair point! That makes a lot of sense; thank you for the reply! (:

Comment

My two pennies worth I figured..

My practices lay mainly in British and traditional Cornish witchcraft, so my top suggestions are going to be on those subjects. Hope it helps!

Traditional Witchcraft. A Cornish Book of Ways - Gemma Gary
                      The Black Toad - Gemma Gary
                      Popular Magic: Cunning Folk in English History - Owen Davies
                      A Grimoire for Modern Cunning Folk - Peter Paddon
                      Treading the Mill - Nigel Pearson
                      Old Tradition Crafte - (translated by) Robin Artisan
                      West Country Witches - Michael Howard
                      Pretty much anything by Doreen Valiente, a Wiccan author but her work should not be avoided, in my opinion.

Books specifically on charms, spells and customs:
                      Nummits and Crummits - Sarah Hewitt (Just got into this book, but its great.)
                      Defences Against the Witches Craft - John Canard
                      Protection and Reversal Magic, Beyond 101 - Jason Miller
                      Crones Book of Charms and Spells - Valerie Worth
                      The Element Encyclopedia of 5,000 Spells - Judika Illes

Herbs, potions, incense, recipes etc:
                      Traditional Witches Formulary and Potion-making Guide - Sophia DiGregorio
                      The Complete Book of Incense, Oils and Brews - Scott Cunningham
                      Book of Herbs - Sybil Leek
                      Encyclopedia of Magical Herbs - Scott Cunningham
                      Herbs and Things. A Compendium of Practical and Exotic Herb Lore - Jeanne Rose
                      Encyclopedia of Folk Medicine. Old World and New World Traditions - Gabrielle Hatfield
                      "By yarrow and rue, and my redcap too."

Comment

A booklist for Naturalistic Paganism: http://humanisticpaganism.com/books/
                        sigpic

Comment

A booklist for Naturalistic Paganism: http://humanisticpaganism.com/books/
                          Ooh! I'll add that to the top post (and then maybe go buy them all on my new kindle)

- - - Updated - - -

Originally posted by OldMotherWestWind View Post
                          My two pennies worth I figured..

My practices lay mainly in British and traditional Cornish witchcraft, so my top suggestions are going to be on those subjects. Hope it helps!

Traditional Witchcraft. A Cornish Book of Ways - Gemma Gary
                          The Black Toad - Gemma Gary
                          Popular Magic: Cunning Folk in English History - Owen Davies
                          A Grimoire for Modern Cunning Folk - Peter Paddon
                          Treading the Mill - Nigel Pearson
                          Old Tradition Crafte - (translated by) Robin Artisan
                          West Country Witches - Michael Howard
                          Pretty much anything by Doreen Valiente, a Wiccan author but her work should not be avoided, in my opinion.

Books specifically on charms, spells and customs:
                          Nummits and Crummits - Sarah Hewitt (Just got into this book, but its great.)
                          Defences Against the Witches Craft - John Canard
                          Protection and Reversal Magic, Beyond 101 - Jason Miller
                          Crones Book of Charms and Spells - Valerie Worth
                          The Element Encyclopedia of 5,000 Spells - Judika Illes

Herbs, potions, incense, recipes etc:
                          Traditional Witches Formulary and Potion-making Guide - Sophia DiGregorio
                          The Complete Book of Incense, Oils and Brews - Scott Cunningham
                          Book of Herbs - Sybil Leek
                          Encyclopedia of Magical Herbs - Scott Cunningham
                          Herbs and Things. A Compendium of Practical and Exotic Herb Lore - Jeanne Rose
                          Encyclopedia of Folk Medicine. Old World and New World Traditions - Gabrielle Hatfield
                          Added to the main page. Thank you!

Mostly art.

Comment

V, do you want me to just go in to the first post and add in my books from my booklist? Or do you want to do it?

(I won't get to it until later, maybe by this weekend...I'm about to go to the doctor's)
                            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Monk View Post
                              I do like authors like our own Tylluan Penry's whose book "Seeking the Green" and Carl McColman's book"The Complete Idiot's Guide to Paganism. Because they are just that "guides" and both offer information with basic concepts on the topics covered in them. They also promote further exploration on the readers part along with encouraging finding what is right for you without the attitude of because I said it and that's the way it is.

I hope I don't sound pissed because I'm not, I just tend to come off sounding that way.
                              Thank you!
                              www.thewolfenhowlepress.com

Phantom Turnips never die.... they just get stewed occasionally....

Comment

V, do you want me to just go in to the first post and add in my books from my booklist? Or do you want to do it?

(I won't get to it until later, maybe by this weekend...I'm about to go to the doctor's)
                                Ooh! Yes please!

Mostly art.

Comment

Working...
                                X