Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: New Heathen Advice

Jan 2014
    Religion
    Newbie Heathen

Smile New Heathen Advice

I'm realatively new to this path, and I've read all the stickies and am trying to do my homework, but is there any advice you wish that you would have gotten as a newbie? Anyone kind enough to put like a list of vocab together, some of this is very confusing and I'm doing my best to understand all that I read. Thank you in advance!

Apr 2013
    Religion
    If you want to know, ask.
    Phrase
    Two roads diverged in a wood and I took the one less travelled by. Now where in Hades am I?

Re: New Heathen Advice

The one thing I wish that someone had told back in the day is: "There are other forms of Heathenry and Norse/Germanic Paganism than reconstructionism. And if someone tells you that you have to be reconstructionist to call yourself Heathen they're selfimportant twats that should summarily be ignored."
    Warning: The above post may contain traces of sarcasm.

An apostrophe is the difference between a business that knows its shit, and a business that knows it's shit.

"Why is every object we don't understand always called a thing?" (McCoy. Star Trek: The Moive Picture)

Feb 2013
    Religion
    Old Customs
    Phrase
    Damn somebody's eyes

My advice would be to summarily ignore any advice to summarily ignore any information from any source, because I'm going to assume you're intelligent enough to filter what you want/need from what you don't want/need (and the more sources you draw from, the sooner you'll begin to filter), but then I'm not militantly for it against either hard-line reconstructionists or hard-line cherry-pickers. I try to follow the Old Way as traditionally as possible, such as not intentionally blending in Celtic, wiccan, or other practices, but I don't have an aneurism if others do or don't.

As to terminology, this might get you started:

http://www.asatru-u.org/beginner/asa...er-outline.htm

If you run across something you can't figure out, just post up here. Just because we don't all agree on all things doesn't mean we don't like each other.
    I often wish that I had done drugs in the '70s. At least there'd be a reason for the flashbacks. - Rick the Runesinger

Blood and Country

“Barbarianism is the natural state of mankind. Civilization is unnatural. It is the whim of circumstance. And barbarianism must ultimately triumph.” - Robert E. Howard

Clan of my Clan
    Kin of my Kin
    Blood of my Blood

For the Yule was upon them, the Yule; and they quaffed from the skulls of the slain,
    And shouted loud oaths in hoarse wit, and long quaffing swore laughing again.

My advice would be: take the mythology with a grain or two of salt. Or a gram. Or a bucket. Or...well you get the idea. Because a lot of it was written after Christianization, I just feel that certain themes were added into old stories and even new stories made up to more or less mirror the Christian mythology. What I'm trying to say with this, is don't let the Eddas be the be-all-end-all of your beliefs and follow them because they are what they are. Enough of the main religions do that with their holy books already.

Part 2 would be that just because someone is dead or bound in the myths, doesn't necessarily mean that they are in reality.

Jun 2013
    Religion
    Northern Tradition Shaminist Demonolator. Or something along those lines...

Keep an open mind, read as much as you can get your hands on, don't take any one (or ten) authors as gospel, and make your own informed decisions.

If you can do that, then you're set.

Jan 2014
    Religion
    Kitchen witch, exploring Asatru

I'm still fairly new to Heathenism myself, but I find the holy tenets 'You're not the boss of me.' and 'You're doing it wrong.' sum it up wonderfully.

Dec 2011
    Religion
    Modern Constructionist Germanic Heathen with Shamanic Tendencies
    Phrase
    You know what it takes, so do it.

Even if you choose a reconstructionist path, remember that you live here and now, not in the days of yore. And you're path needs to reflect that.
    "The doer alone learneth." -- Friedrich Nietzsche

Dec 2013

Quote Originally Posted by Vigdisdotter View Post
    Even if you choose a reconstructionist path, remember that you live here and now, not in the days of yore. And you're path needs to reflect that.
    Except that is not what reconstructionism is or what reconstructionists do, you are thinking of re-enactors or re-creators.

And reconstructionism is not a path but a method of interpretation. It has nothing to do with things or events either, in the context of heathenry it has to do with the rebuilding of the various ancient worldviews and then testing them to see if they are still functional filters of perception and what parts of that worldview are usable now.

Once that worldview is understood the ritual practices...and your "way of life"...while not being identical to what was done will at the very least be in line with what was.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by ERDRICK View Post
    I'm realatively new to this path, and I've read all the stickies and am trying to do my homework, but is there any advice you wish that you would have gotten as a newbie? Anyone kind enough to put like a list of vocab together, some of this is very confusing and I'm doing my best to understand all that I read. Thank you in advance!

First off, what are *YOU* looking for/to get out of it.

Dec 2011
    Religion
    Modern Constructionist Germanic Heathen with Shamanic Tendencies
    Phrase
    You know what it takes, so do it.

Quote Originally Posted by GaryG View Post
    Except that is not what reconstructionism is or what reconstructionists do, you are thinking of re-enactors or re-creators.
    No, I'm thinking of reconstuctionists who use the lore to justify their homophobia and to bar known gays from events (only the male homosexuals). That's a VERY common one I've encountered. And it just doesn't seem to compute in their minds that what was socially acceptable back then (mocking someone for being Ergi) is not acceptable now and is even objectionable.

That said, I'm not suggesting that ALL reconstructions are as mentioned above. Plenty aren't. But the OP asked for advice, so there is mine.
    "The doer alone learneth." -- Friedrich Nietzsche

Jan 2014
    Religion
    Newbie Heathen

I'm looking for a religion with beliefs similar to my own (heathenry aligns extremely well). I've had pagan beliefs for a while, but just haven't found anything that would add to my life or really supplement it. From what I'm reading heathenry seems to fit everything I'm looking for.