X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: commonly used products that shouldn't be

Originally posted by B. de Corbin View Post
    Is it ok to make leather out of carp, as a way of reducing an invasive species, or wallets out of boas invading Florida?

HELL YEAH!

I make tons of stuff out of English Ivy for exactly that reason. Eat them garlic mustards and kudzu! Strip those honeysuckles bare of flowers! Eat those lionfish!
    Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
    sigpic

Comment

I cannot wait to try lionfish! Seriously. I will lie to my husband about what it is, too, just so he'll eat it with no 'but it's so preeetttyyy!' qualms.
      The forum member formerly known as perzephone. Or Perze. I've shed a skin.

Comment

What about crystals? Anyone have an opinion? Yesterday I found lovely shop with handmade jewelry from amethyst, rose quartz, amber and the like (truly beautiful stuff--they had mermaids carved into amber pendants, fossil ivory carved sea turtles, rings and things from citrine and smoky quartz. I sort of thought *ooh! a high end Pagan gem shop!* when I saw it, lol...but then I was thinking (after I bough Chickadee an adorable rose quartz and silver kiddie sized adjustable bracelet for her birthday)...

I really don't know enough about the usual mining practices of crystals and I don't use them enough to really have an opinion. I have a few things from this place, which looks like they do a good job cleaning up afterwards, and a few from a friend that went here, where they let you prospect their emerald mine (I'd like to take the kids this summer to check it out--at least its local...). I do know that plenty of mining practices are shitty, environmentally speaking...but how shitty is mining for stuff like lapis and labradorite? Can the shittiness actually be mitigated? How do you even find out? How can you track the origins and legitimacy of gemstones (I mean, we've all heard of conflict diamonds by now, and gold has problems too)?
        Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
        sigpic

Comment

Sage has to be shipped? I totally grow sage here. Probably a different species though. I grow Mediterranean sage.

Comment

Originally posted by thalassa View Post
            I love the smell of ambergis...but I'm not killing a whale to get it. Their ambergis, and their sandalwood are both synthetic...and really smell exactly like the real deal.
            Actually what we think of as amber is NOT what ambergris smells like. It's actually a name used in the perfume industry for copal -- which is actually very sustainable and safe to use even if you have a moral issue. But it is usually more expensive.

Comment

Originally posted by Rowanwood View Post
              Actually what we think of as amber is NOT what ambergris smells like. It's actually a name used in the perfume industry for copal -- which is actually very sustainable and safe to use even if you have a moral issue. But it is usually more expensive.

https://circle.ubc.ca/handle/2429/10724
              I like copal too...and amber-amber. I'm talking actual ambergis--we had a chunk of it at the museum, it smells excellent when its "aged" (apparently new it smells like poo, which makes sense, lol)...when sperm whales die or puke/poop it out, it floats and comes ashore. It used to be a big product of whale hunting.

Originally posted by DanieMarie View Post
              Sage has to be shipped? I totally grow sage here. Probably a different species though. I grow Mediterranean sage.
              Different kind of sage--smudging sage is generally California white sage.
              sigpic

Comment

Gotcha. I've lived here too long lol.

Comment

Working...
                X