Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

So i was travelling this month (january) and i bought this necklace...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So i was travelling this month (january) and i bought this necklace...

Hello everyone, im new on this forum.So as i was saying i bought this necklace that it looks like a coin and one side of the coin has Mjolnir and the other one the Valknut. I really love Norse Mythology (the gods,stories the way they look like...) and i love Greek Mythology as well for the same motives.But i wanted to know if it is disrespectful for me to use that necklace since i dont have any kind of norse heritage. I just know that my family came from Naples(Italy),a little bit of France and Portugal.So i kinda would have this roman mythology heritage.
    Since i bought this necklace im wearing it and i know why i feel much more confident on everything, i personally dont have a religion,im very skeptic about it,but i got surprised by this simple fact.So i would like to know your answers if it is ok to wear it or disrespectful since i dont have a heritage or anything related, only related to greek/roman mythology. Thank you!

Re: So i was travelling this month (january) and i bought this necklace...

Personally I don't think that heritage has anything to do with religion or religious symbols, except in certain indigenous tribal cultures. So I don't see any issue with you wearing these symbols because of your heritage.

BUT... both Mjolnir and the Valknut are considered to be religious symbols and generally indicative of the fact that a person follows a Heathen or Odinist path (or similar). Wearing one when you aren't of those paths is the same as wearing a crucifix if you don't believe in Jesus, or a Star of David if you aren't Jewish.

I don't personally agree with appropriating religious or cultural symbols when they are not a part of your practice... I even dislike people wearing those fern or fish hook pendants that you can get at tourist stores near beaches (as they have significance to their originating cultures). But that's just me. Thousands of people do this... not just with those pendants but with ornamental crucifixes and other things.

So I guess it's really up to you as to whether this is a problem for you, personally. If you feel that this is disrespectful then you probably shouldn't wear them. If you don't feel that this is disrespectful, then go ahead. Just be aware that there may be people who have negative things to say about it, or who will make assumptions about your spiritual path. That bothers some people, but not others.

Comment

Originally posted by Rae'ya View Post
      Personally I don't think that heritage has anything to do with religion or religious symbols, except in certain indigenous tribal cultures. So I don't see any issue with you wearing these symbols because of your heritage.

BUT... both Mjolnir and the Valknut are considered to be religious symbols and generally indicative of the fact that a person follows a Heathen or Odinist path (or similar). Wearing one when you aren't of those paths is the same as wearing a crucifix if you don't believe in Jesus, or a Star of David if you aren't Jewish.

I don't personally agree with appropriating religious or cultural symbols when they are not a part of your practice... I even dislike people wearing those fern or fish hook pendants that you can get at tourist stores near beaches (as they have significance to their originating cultures). But that's just me. Thousands of people do this... not just with those pendants but with ornamental crucifixes and other things.

So I guess it's really up to you as to whether this is a problem for you, personally. If you feel that this is disrespectful then you probably shouldn't wear them. If you don't feel that this is disrespectful, then go ahead. Just be aware that there may be people who have negative things to say about it, or who will make assumptions about your spiritual path. That bothers some people, but not others.
      Thank you for the polite answer, i said the heritage thing because almost every thread i read about this people are always concern/talking about heritage and stuff thats why i mentioned it, and just like you said that theres people that will make assumptions about my spiritual path i think they need to be concerned on their business not other people right? lol

Comment

1) If this item of jewelry is pleasing to you, wear it.

2) While some people may recognize Thor's hammer (thanks mostly to a recent spate of movies), most will not recognize the symbols on the necklace. Those that do, however, will likely assume any or all of the following: a) you are a movie fan; b) you are a racist neo-Nazi; c) you are a follower of the Old Ways (Forn Sed, Asatru, Heathenry, etc). Be prepared to be judged.

3) From no more than you've shared, I'm wondering if you realize that the Northern gods originated on the Continent some time before they spread to Scandinavia and the various isles. Saxons and Franks (among others) were Teutonic tribes from what is now France. The Germanic tribes invaded Italy in many waves. Visigoths settled in Spain and Portugal. It's quite likely that some of your ancestors, at some point, hailed Wotan and his kin (and that's not even considering Celtic tribes in those areas, but that's another forum).
        I often wish that I had done drugs in the '70s. At least there'd be a reason for the flashbacks. - Rick the Runesinger

Blood and CountryTribe of my Tribe
        Clan of my Clan
        Kin of my Kin
        Blood of my Blood

For the Yule was upon them, the Yule; and they quaffed from the skulls of the slain,
        And shouted loud oaths in hoarse wit, and long quaffing swore laughing again.

Comment

Thanks for the answer Rick, it was quite explanatory.Yeah maybe some of my ancestors hailed the great norse gods.

Comment

Just an FYI, there are several Brazilian Heathens on a rune forum that I belong to, and I have conversed with a few Portuguese Heathens over the years.
            I often wish that I had done drugs in the '70s. At least there'd be a reason for the flashbacks. - Rick the Runesinger

Blood and CountryTribe of my Tribe
            Clan of my Clan
            Kin of my Kin
            Blood of my Blood

For the Yule was upon them, the Yule; and they quaffed from the skulls of the slain,
            And shouted loud oaths in hoarse wit, and long quaffing swore laughing again.

Comment

Working...
            X