This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Ham on Nye evolution/creationism debate

Maybe we can cut this short by saying that America is huge, very diverse, very mixed, and that sweeping generalizations are best avoided in serious discussions.

Also, there seems to be some kind of anti-American bias in other countries produced by limited and selective reporting of events in this large, diverse, mixed country.
    Every moment of a life is a horrible tragedy, a slapstick comedy, dark nihilism, golden illumination, or nothing at all; depending on how we write the story we tell ourselves.

Comment

The whole "nature" of the human experience makes for a complex map of human reaction and belief. One can not truly explain others simply by comparing them to our own "view" about the nature and reality of life and the vast complexity of the whole "cosmic whole". I do find it interesting the concept that "We" as a species are "Special",and then of course we MUST have been chosen by a higher power to exist.
      MAGIC is MAGIC,black OR white or even blood RED

all i ever wanted was a normal life and love.
      NO TERF EVER WE belong Too.
      don't stop the tears.let them flood your soul.

sigpic

my new page here,let me know what you think.

nothing but the shadow of what was

witchvox
      http://www.witchvox.com/vu/vxposts.html

Comment

Originally posted by Rowanwood View Post
        Right, and you know how I love giant generalizations and the demonization of entire SWATHS of the country because there are a handful of loud morons living there....because clearly that's legit.
        All I'm saying is that parts of America have different cultural environments, and it just so happens that the middle of the country tends toward political conservatism and religious fundamentalism. Which is more conducive to things like creationism in schools and abstinence only sex ed.

Basically, what I was trying to say is that America is a big and culturally diverse place. I wasn't trying to pass the buck off, just highlight regional differences. That different parts of America are crazy in different ways and for different reasons. That you can't just say that Americans believe this, or they do this in America.

In other words, I was trying to make a point about over-generalization. I probably should have just compared the US to Europe, like I was going to.
        Trust is knowing someone or something well enough to have a good idea of their motivations and character, for good or for ill. People often say trust when they mean faith.

Comment

Originally posted by Denarius View Post
          All I'm saying is that parts of America have different cultural environments, and it just so happens that the middle of the country tends toward political conservatism and religious fundamentalism. Which is more conducive to things like creationism in schools and abstinence only sex ed.

Basically, what I was trying to say is that America is a big and culturally diverse place. I wasn't trying to pass the buck off, just highlight regional differences. That different parts of America are crazy in different ways and for different reasons. That you can't just say that Americans believe this, or they do this in America.

In other words, I was trying to make a point about over-generalization. I probably should have just compared the US to Europe, like I was going to.
          I just can't accept that making generalizations about an entire region without caveats is appropriate. Because its frankly not even true. Considering the size of the US ... there are states that are both geographically and by population larger than entire European countries. And unlike many of them, our population is dramatically more diverse, so saying "the South" is backwards is like saying "July is cold" but not specifying where.

I know we like to make these sweeping generalizations, we love to put people into neat little categories so we don't have to make individual judgements, but I'm strongly against that sort of thinking. I enjoy tearing apart ideas that don't stand up to scrutiny, but I try to keep the people out of it.

Comment

I have seldom spoken of my personal understanding of belief. When it comes to evolution one "Might" consider there was a higher power guiding that evolution. In my personal view we all are a part of what I might call universal energy.

That might be considered a higher power,and even the concept of chaos in the universe could be thought of as to large to understand a pattern in its massive effect.

I am still considering exactly what our collective existence,and place in the cosmic whole means.

sigpic

witchvox

Comment

Well people do go bat shit coocoo over in the corn fields. At least give us that.
              Satan is my spirit animal

Comment

Originally posted by Medusa View Post
                Well people do go bat shit coocoo over in the corn fields. At least give us that.
                Only in the movies...written by a bat shit guy from the east coast.

Comment

Originally posted by Rowanwood View Post
                  Only in the movies...written by a bat shit guy from the east coast.
                  Well, I did see Children of the Corn. Scurry.

Comment

Originally posted by Medusa View Post
                    Well, I did see Children of the Corn. Scurry.
                    Corn is really quite boring. Cows are spooky when you're high though...not that I'd...know that.

Comment

Rowan even trees can be kinda spooky if you are baked..Not that I ever talked to trees while high on acid....

sigpic

witchvox

Comment

Teletubbies.

Comment

Trying to figure this one out,I fell into a teletubbies trance,and saw Dog....

- - - Updated - - -

Wondering if perhaps we kinda skidded off topic just a bit?

sigpic

witchvox

Comment

The debate raised enough money so the creationist museum can begin building a 73 million dollar replica of Noah's Ark.

Here's an interesting article which makes you wonder about the priorities of those who donate...

5 Things Kentucky Could Spend $73 Million On Instead Of A Fake Noah's Ark
                            Every moment of a life is a horrible tragedy, a slapstick comedy, dark nihilism, golden illumination, or nothing at all; depending on how we write the story we tell ourselves.

Comment

Just basing this off the gospels here...uh, Jesus says don't. There are better things to spend money on, you asinine pricks.

I hope this somehow fails for them.

Comment

Working...
                              X