Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Ask a Roman Reconstructionist!

Nov 2010

Ask a Roman Reconstructionist!

If you have any questions about religio Roman, ask away. I will try to answer your questions as quckly as I can.
    SPQR

Oct 2009
    Religion
    ~Eclectic Pagan~
    Phrase
    "Whether you think you can or think you can't, either way you are right." -Henry Ford

Re: Ask a Roman Reconstructionist!

Can you give me the basics? I honestly know nothing about it. (other than the name sounds pretty cool)
    http://www.paganforum.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=87&dateline=133754480  9

Nov 2010

The basics are pretty simple. You have twelve major deities with Jupiter as the head. Then you have many minor deities as well. A family sets up an alter called a lararium where they worship the GODS the Lars and the Penates (SP?). I share my food and drink with the GODS, Lars, and Penates. I pray to my ancenstors for guidance. It is the type of religion, or at least how it is practiced today, as a very personal religion. Through good deeds and offering to the GODS, one secures both blessings in this life and eternity in paradise.
    SPQR

Oct 2005
    Religion
    Panentheist
    Phrase
    Vocatus atque non vocatus, Deus aderit.

What role does Juno play in your practice?
    Allow me to lend a machete to your intellectual thicket. ~ Captain Jack Sparrow

Jun 2007
    Religion
    Norse Something-or-Other
    Phrase
    Nice is not the same as good.

What are Lars and Penates?

I grew up with kids books that lumped the Greek and Roman gods into just being different names for the same beings...could you talk to us about some of the differences?

What about gods that the Roman pantheon absorbed? I know that Isis worship was very popular in Rome for a while, for example? Do you ever venerate other gods because of this? What do you think about historic figures who were worshiped?

Oct 2010
    Religion
    solitary pagan witch with a strong interest in Anglo Saxons
    Phrase
    Phantom Turnips never die. They just get stewed occasionally....

Do you worship the emperor? Actually, who is the emperor nowadays?

Sorry, couldn't help myself. But the imperial cult was such a huge part of religious/ritual practice during the Roman empire, I was wondering how his absence could be dealt with.
    www.thewolfenhowlepress.com

Phantom Turnips never die.... they just get stewed occasionally....

Nov 2010

[quote author=cesara link=topic=902.msg15996#msg15996 date=1290440321]
    What role does Juno play in your practice?
    [/quote]

Juno is the GODDESS of marriage and Queen of the GODS. She is worshipped manly by the wife and offerings to her will secure a healthy marriage. I pray to Juno whenever I am having problems with my wife. It does seem to help.
    SPQR

Oct 2009
    Religion
    ~Eclectic Pagan~
    Phrase
    "Whether you think you can or think you can't, either way you are right." -Henry Ford

I couldn't help but notice that when you write Gods or Goddess you capitalize. Is there any significance here? Or personal preference?

I normally write Gods and Goddess out like this : God/dess

I got this from a book I am currently rereading that suggests writing it like this shows that one is part of the other, they are balanced and equal.
    http://www.paganforum.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=87&dateline=133754480  9

Nov 2010

[quote author=Deseret link=topic=902.msg16028#msg16028 date=1290443110]
    What are Lars and Penates?

I grew up with kids books that lumped the Greek and Roman gods into just being different names for the same beings...could you talk to us about some of the differences?

What about gods that the Roman pantheon absorbed? I know that Isis worship was very popular in Rome for a while, for example? Do you ever venerate other gods because of this? What do you think about historic figures who were worshiped?
    [/quote]

The Lares or Lars are Roman household gods regarded as the deified spirits of mortals. The Penates are the gods who were supposed to attend to the welfare and prosperity of the Roman family.

The big difference is that the Romans had GODS for everything where the Greeks had twelve GODS and a few minor GODS. Also the Romans where unique in that they honored their ancestors which If I remember correctly the Greeks did not to the same extent as the Romans.
    The Greek and Roman Gods worshipped by the two nations had similar roles and duties. However, their names were different. The religion of the Romans differed in some respects from that of the Greeks, inasmuch as it was emphatically a state religion. It was more of a ritual and a ceremony. It included most of the deities of the Greek Pantheon, but was more comprehensive. It accepted the gods of all the nations that composed the empire, and placed them in the Pantheon, even Mithra, the Persian sun-god, and the Isis and Osiris of the Egyptians, to whom sacrifices were made by those who worshipped them at home. The Roman religion was more practical and less poetical than the Greek religion. Every Roman god had something to do, some useful office to perform. Several divinities presided over the birth and nursing of an infant, and they were worshipped accordingly, for the benefits which they were supposed to bestow. There was an elaborate "division of labor" among them. A divinity presided over bakers, another over ovens. Every vocation and every household transaction had its presiding Roman gods and goddesses.

The Romans established a college of pontiffs (religious leaders) to regulate worship and perform the higher ceremonies, which were complicated and minute. The pontiffs were presided over by one called Pontifex Maximus, a title shrewdly assumed by Julius Caesar to gain control of the popular worship. There were more superstitious rites practised by the Romans than by the Greeks, such as examining the entrails of beasts and birds for good or bad omens. There were augurs and haruspices to discover the will of the gods, according to entrails and the flight of birds. The ceremony and function of the Augur and the Auguries was extremely important to the Romans and the powerful augurs would be consulted prior to any major undertaking in Roman society, both public and private, including matters relating to war, commerce, and religion. Great attention was given to dreams and rites of divination.

SPQR

Nov 2010

[quote author=Tylluan Penry link=topic=902.msg16197#msg16197 date=1290463718]
    Do you worship the emperor? Actually, who is the emperor nowadays?

Sorry, couldn't help myself. But the imperial cult was such a huge part of religious/ritual practice during the Roman empire, I was wondering how his absence could be dealt with.
    [/quote]

My religious practice does not include the Imperial Cult. I think the act of doing so is profane. Though I do revere them, just not worship.
    SPQR