The reason why there's conflict

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The reason why there's conflict

I know that it seems that certain religions like Islam or Satanism or Mormonism, or Christianity, are made fun of, and demonized for their beliefs because of some radicals. It's actually strange that in Satanism, it denounces ritual sacrifice and not wanting to do evil yet Christians are constantly saying they are. They do the same thing to Wicca too sometimes. It seems often that the extremists of each group, no matter what group, end up causing conflict between religions. Zionists, Fundamentalists Christians, Wahhabism in Islam and so forth. If different religious people worked together on some project, that might dispel the false beliefs of each religion with people then coming to the realization that not all Muslims are terrorists or not all Satanists are people who make ritual sacrifices. They will realize that the religion that they follow is not the problem, but the extremists within that pervert their religion.

Re: The reason why there's conflict

Unlocked. Feel free to discuss.
    �Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted. And experience is often the most valuable thing you have to offer.�
    ― Randy Pausch, The Last Lecture
    Sneak Attack
    Avatar picture by the wonderful and talented TJSGrimm.

Comment

Originally posted by Alienist View Post
      I know that it seems that certain religions like Islam or Satanism or Mormonism, or Christianity, are made fun of, and demonized for their beliefs because of some radicals. It's actually strange that in Satanism, it denounces ritual sacrifice and not wanting to do evil yet Christians are constantly saying they are. They do the same thing to Wicca too sometimes. It seems often that the extremists of each group, no matter what group, end up causing conflict between religions. Zionists, Fundamentalists Christians, Wahhabism in Islam and so forth. If different religious people worked together on some project, that might dispel the false beliefs of each religion with people then coming to the realization that not all Muslims are terrorists or not all Satanists are people who make ritual sacrifices. They will realize that the religion that they follow is not the problem, but the extremists within that pervert their religion.
      Hence why I often frequent Neo-Pagan websites and direct much of my writings to those from a Neo-Pagan inclination. I have been involved in Neo-Pagan communities for many years, and I have seen a great deal of (albeit, mostly unintentional) misinformation presented by Neo-Pagan authors and practitioners in regards to Satanism.

One such argument, amongst many Neo-Pagans, is the attempt to convince Christians that they do not worship "Satan". Sometimes, it is inadvertently (and other times, quite deliberately) implied that "Satanists" are evil and Wiccans are not because of points A, B, C, etc. Most of the "differences" that these "explanations" consist of are wholly false and are clearly the result of a lack of understanding of what (any form of) Satanism actually consists of. Theistic Satanism is often further invalidated with arguments that "Satan is a Christian invention and that's why Wiccans do not believe in Him". I attempt to bring attention to this ignorant invalidation and demonisation of Satanism by Neo-Pagans by educating them as to what it is that we actually believe and practice.

I must confess that I do not frequent Christian forums. Some part of me believes that it is rather far-fetched to hope that Christians would somehow cease to believe that Satan is "evil" and, hence, all Satanists are also "worshipers of evil". I also feel that it is partly unreasonable to attempt to expect to change such a fundamental aspect of Christian belief. I respect, strange as it may seem, that they believe that Satan is "the Devil".

I quite like the idea of interfaith exchanges overall. I enjoy learning about the beliefs of others and enjoy sharing my own. It's another reason that I enjoy interfaith discussion platforms such as forums like PF. Most people who were previously uninformed of the beliefs of individuals such as myself are nearly always gracious and genuinely accommodating.

But yes, there are extremists to be found in every religion, I believe. Even within Wicca. Even within Theistic Satanism. Radicals are almost always the most visible of any practitioner - unfortunately, for more obscure alternative religions such as Theistic Satanism, the groups which draw the most attention are (frankly, rather kooky) minority extremists or those with profoundly alternative beliefs such as the Order of Nine Angles or the Joy of Satan ministries.

Education through discussion really is key to dispelling erroneous preconceptions IMHO.

Comment

I think -- and forgive me for the strong wording I'm about to use -- that these wrong beliefs stem from willful ignorance. Some people simply do not wish to learn the truth about other belief structures. While it is, admittedly, sometimes difficult to find information about the more secretive sects, there really isn't any good excuse not to do your research before launching an attack on a person from a different belief system.

Of course, I also believe that it's okay to disagree with someone as long as you can do it without losing your mind. The problem is that so many people can't disagree about politics or religion without losing their minds about things. If one person believes that Satan is evil because that's what his or her religion teaches, then there's no arguing with that person that Satan is either neutral or a force of good, regardless of what you believe.

I must confess that even as a Christian I had difficulty with Christian forums. Too many people were too eager to jump on newcomers and point out the flaws in theology possessed by the newcomers. It's an aggressive scenario and not one that was ever comfortable for me. It always felt as though nobody was actually listening to anything I had to say and everyone only jumped on the perceived flaws in my logic rather than getting to know who I was as a person.

My problem isn't with Christianity -- it's with professed Christians who have a superiority complex when it comes to people who believe differently than they do.

Comment

What's sad is that there is more conflict among same faiths. I have removed myself from about 3 Satanic forums and 3 atheist forums. I just could not stand all the in fighting and one upmanship going on.
          Satan is my spirit animal

Comment

Originally posted by Medusa View Post
            What's sad is that there is more conflict among same faiths. I have removed myself from about 3 Satanic forums and 3 atheist forums. I just could not stand all the in fighting and one upmanship going on.
            That's a fantastic point and I have withdrawn from Satanic forums for the same exact reasons.

It also raises the issue of just how much ignorance and in-fighting can and does take place amongst those sharing a common faith. I think that it's quite easy to blameshift and to point the finger at those not of our faiths for "condemning" or "judging" us - but it's often our own "brethren" who cause us the most harm.

Comment

Personally I think the main reason for conflict is human nature rather than theology. A pursuit of power rather than spirituality.
              www.thewolfenhowlepress.com

Phantom Turnips never die.... they just get stewed occasionally....

Comment

Originally posted by Tylluan Penry View Post
                Personally I think the main reason for conflict is human nature rather than theology. A pursuit of power rather than spirituality.
                Hear, hear.
                Warning: The above post may contain traces of sarcasm.

An apostrophe is the difference between a business that knows its shit, and a business that knows it's shit.

"Why is every object we don't understand always called a thing?" (McCoy. Star Trek: The Moive Picture)

Comment

I know that human nature has always had it's conflicts but I am talking of religions and the reason why people have conflict with each other. Part of it is because of ignorance of the religious beliefs, that they don't know enough of a certain religion and the only they thing they base their arguments are exaggerations and stereotypes and propaganda. I mean it's easy to make any religion look bad, if you show and talk about the negative things of it. The same thing they did with the Jews and what they are now doing to the Muslims. That and the extremists of religions are quite a danger and can make many good religions look bad because of these extremists. An extremist is irrational and dangerous and there are extremists in almost every religion imaginable.

Comment

Originally posted by Tylluan Penry View Post
                    I am new here and this will be my first post. I have, though, spent a great deal of time speculating over what is at the core of conflict in not just religion but relationships. Tyll's comment here is very close to what I have come to observe and from my experiences seem to be consistently true. People are in pursuit of power. But why do people seek power? They want control. It is why there are arguments, why people want the upper hand in all things. Everyone wants to be in control of the situation because the alternative is to be the one who is being controlled. I also believe this to be why victims blame themselves in the instance of being bullied or abused. No one wants to feel that they are powerless and being swept along under someone else's whim. People want to be in control of their own lives, to shape their own destiny. I believe when people choose to follow a group or a leader, it is because they believe this will somehow help them to shape their life in a way that they deem is acceptable. And when they deride others and persecute them, it is so their own sense of control is not taken away. They have found what they believe is going to guide them to the life they want and they fear having that taken away from them so much, that they will doggedly harass anyone that they have been told or somehow recognize is a threat to that structure. I believe this is what is at the core of all conflict, from the political scale to religion and even down to a level as personal as marriage. I know a person who is obsessed with micromanaging and I believe this, too, stems from a need to control to feel empowered. People want to be the directors of their own life's plays.

Denial of personal fear goes to the same thing, which is something that people need to see within themselves in order to stop letting it control them. If you feel fear then that means you've lost control of your direction and your life because you are no longer in charge of where your life is going and how you are going to live. It's a basic human fear of the unknown, a fear of an unknown future. It comes with that feeling of a lack of security. The irony is that in this denial, people have lost control and are being directed from within by emotions that they are not in control of. But people are okay with this, because at least it is their emotions that direct their actions, which is a feeling most are comfortable with. People are not okay with moving outside of that comfort zone. That is an act of courage. And acts of courage are a steep order when crossing that line means moving into the unknown.

Comment

Working...
                    X