quitting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: quitting

Does anyone know of any spells,chants or such to help a person stop smoking?
    I'm also interested in any masculine pagan chants, web sites you-tube links etc.

Comment

Originally posted by oldhippie View Post
      I'm also interested in any masculine pagan chants, web sites you-tube links etc.
      The only thing I know is pure plain self determination. If you truly want to quite you will if not you won't. Sad part is I know of and have heard of a lot of failures but when they look at themselves they didn't want to quite. They tried for many reasons, most often for others, but all their reasons lacked a true desire within to quit. Every success I am aware of, including mine, has been the person finally decides they really want to quit and for themselves then simply does. I stopped when I was doing a pack to a pack and a half a day. Simply said I was ready, put them down and never picked them up again. A lot of people talk about cravings but for me its been 15 years and I have never had a craving in all that time, even when I continued to go to the same places and participate in the same things that I had associated with my smoking.

Sorry that's the only answer I can give. No spells, no chants, no nothing just a plain, straight forward decession to on the smokers part that they want to truly quit and for their own self no one else.
      I'm Only Responsible For What I Say Not For What Or How You Understand!

Comment

Originally posted by oldhippie View Post
        Hi, I quit about 9 years ago - and I say 'about' because it took me at least a year to give up completely. At first I'd relapse around other smokers, but manage when by myself. Then I'd relapse when I'd had a glass of wine or two. But every time I did, I got up the next day and told myself 'today I'm a non-smoker'... and eventually I have become a non-smoker.

I think the wording that you use is important. The words, "today, I am a non-smoker" helps to sever the ties to your self-perception as 'a smoker' and enables you to see yourself as you are without cigarettes.

Comment

Best of luck to you. I can't even imagine how hard quitting must be.

How are you coming along?

Comment

Originally posted by GardenOfShadows View Post
            Best of luck to you. I can't even imagine how hard quitting must be.

How are you coming along?
            yes it is not easy quitting, I did back slip a bit and mooched a couple cigs
            but it is still better that I was,at least I'm down to a couple now and then
            instead of 3-4 packs a day.
            hopefully soon I will avoid them altogether

Comment

a bit of an update.
              I finally after trying several times I have not touched cigarettes in about 2 weeks.
              I have taken up vaping instead but I use the stuff with 0 nicotine level.
              since I started vaping I have had 1 cigarette and found that it tasted like shit
              so I am done with them

Comment

If you were doing 3-4 packs a day,that's a pretty strong habit.At my most when younger 2 1/2 packs a day was my max,and that with drinking,so a lot of them just burnt out. I am right now doing E-cigs,and doing ok. I was about a pack a day before this,that down from about almost 2 a day.

Good luck.
                MAGIC is MAGIC,black OR white or even blood RED

all i ever wanted was a normal life and love.
                NO TERF EVER WE belong Too.
                don't stop the tears.let them flood your soul.

sigpic

my new page here,let me know what you think.

nothing but the shadow of what was

witchvox
                http://www.witchvox.com/vu/vxposts.html

Comment

I hate to hijack this thread, or dig up old stuff, but I'm 62 days without without a cigarette and I'm still craving them every single day. I guess I just need to let it out.

I've been smoking for about ten years, and yet I only really got to a pack a day at my very worst. Which is crazy because at my very worst I was chainsmoking all day long. How people smoke 2 packs packs a day day and work at the same time seems impossible to me, but I don't know.

I'm drunk and alone and very aware that all I have to do is walk drive down to the liquor store and buy a pack of smokes, and nobody can stop me. I could have the whole night, smoking away.

I think the worst part is knowing that I don't feel any better than I did before. The only difference is that I'm fatter. The only thing stopping me from going to get some cigarettes I'd the idea that I've wasted 62 days of not smoking, and that I'd gave to start over

Ugh, what to do. ..

Comment

Originally posted by KarrinMurphy View Post
                    I think the worst part is knowing that I don't feel any better than I did before. The only difference is that I'm fatter. The only thing stopping me from going to get some cigarettes I'd the idea that I've wasted 62 days of not smoking, and that I'd gave to start over

Ugh, what to do. ..
                    Everytime you want a cigarette, run around the block (for the fatness, and to reprogram the habit) and eat some carrots or celery sticks (for the hand-to-mouth sensation). The chemical addiction is out of your system, its all psychological now.

Its what my roomie did to get over the cravings.

There's a really good book called The Power of Habit that explains the research around how habits form, how they are maintained, and how they can be changed...it might be useful.
                    Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
                    sigpic

Comment

Attention shoppers,I have ceased smoking,been about 2 months now,first month I used electronic ones,then cold turkey off the butts. If at times I seem a bit out of sorts,just take into account that I have smoked for 55 years. Wish me luck in not going back...One thing I can't quit is my coffee though.
                      MAGIC is MAGIC,black OR white or even blood RED

all i ever wanted was a normal life and love.
                      NO TERF EVER WE belong Too.
                      don't stop the tears.let them flood your soul.

sigpic

my new page here,let me know what you think.

nothing but the shadow of what was

witchvox
                      http://www.witchvox.com/vu/vxposts.html

Comment

^ 55 years is a hell of a habit, good luck in staying off them. Cigs are such an insidious addiction, it's so easy and casual.

Comment

Working...
                        X