Everything Changes -- A Confused Spiritual Path, Need Reassurance

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Everything Changes -- A Confused Spiritual Path, Need Reassurance

I hope that this is in the right place, but if it's not, I trust the moderators to move it. This might be a little bit personal for a "discussion" forum but I'm hoping to get feedback.

Today I signed up for this forum because I wanted and needed some guidance. I thought, coming in, that I was just angry with God (Yahweh) for a really rough patch in my life, but I don't think that's necessarily true. Instead, I think that sometimes I do everything whole-hog, putting tons of energy into it and then feeling let down when something doesn't work the way that I'd planned for it to. While I believe that all paths are equally valid (something I wouldn't have said a year ago), I'm feeling disconnected, frustrated and alienated.

Part of the problem is that my husband and I have never been able to agree on a faith-base. Even as a Christian (which he is also), I disagreed with what he believed. He's charismatic evangelistic and I'm more private and conservative. To be honest with you, these differing viewpoints have led me away from Christianity because it's clear to me that we're both reading the same Bible and getting something different out of it. Our views were simply too polarized for both of us to be "right," which meant that neither of us were "right," at least in my mind. This does relate to paganism, so please bear with me (and again, move this if it's in the wrong place).

I've read (mostly on the aforementioned Hubpages) that those who convert from Christianity to Paganism don't accept the fallen nature of man or that they weren't good Christians to begin with. But why not? I believed, and I did everything the Bible told me to until I was exhausted from sleeping on the floor during my menses.

If you've read up to this point, thank you. I'm sure it's pretty boring, but you can probably see where I'm going. Something I thought made sense stopped making any sense at all. But then there's the guilt. Oh dear goodness, there's all this guilt. My husband, obviously, is still a Christian. My ...friend... is leaning toward paganism but she's not experienced with it to begin with (she'd choose kitchen witchery most likely).

So basically, now I'm scared. And emotional and tearful and confused and just plain mad. I think in a way that I need help, but at the same I can't expect someone here to point me on a path -- that would be ill-advised even if it were allowed (and as I understand it, it's not). But I miss that happiness that I had from being spiritual. I miss it so much that there's something aching inside of me. I'm not going to find it in a church with my husband where they shout and speak in tongues. And I've seen too much to go back to a Messianic path.

This leaves me with one obvious, but terrifying, conclusion.

I was, at the last point in my paganism, on a Kemetic path. Sekhmet was the last deity to contact me before everything basically went dark. Now I think I understand more of why things went dark and what it means when they do. I'm no longer torn, just guilty.

Right now I'm crying. I remember these tears. They're healing, and they mean something. But I feel foolish coming to all of you with problems when none of you know me. I'm not really seeking -- not any more, I don't think -- I'm hoping to be found.

Does anybody have any reassurances or advice? My heart's pretty well open to hear it right now.

Re: Everything Changes -- A Confused Spiritual Path, Need Reassurance

Devin, I've tossed this into S.A.F.E. There wasn't anything particularly wrong with your original selection of where to place it but given the apparent amount of emotion behind it, I'm moving it into a zone where the staff have greater leeway in ensuring general courtesy.

I may have something more to say regarding the actual post in a few hours.
    life itself was a lightsaber in his hands; even in the face of treachery and death and hopes gone cold, he burned like a candle in the darkness. Like a star shining in the black eternity of space.

Yoda: Dark Rendezvous

"But those men who know anything at all about the Light also know that there is a fierceness to its power, like the bare sword of the law, or the white burning of the sun." Suddenly his voice sounded to Will very strong, and very Welsh. "At the very heart, that is. Other things, like humanity, and mercy, and charity, that most good men hold more precious than all else, they do not come first for the Light. Oh, sometimes they are there; often, indeed. But in the very long run the concern of you people is with the absolute good, ahead of all else..."

John Rowlands, The Grey King by Susan Cooper

"You come from the Lord Adam and the Lady Eve", said Aslan. "And that is both honour enough to erect the head of the poorest beggar, and shame enough to bow the shoulders of the greatest emperor on earth; be content."

Aslan, Prince Caspian by CS Lewis

Comment

Thank you. (:

Comment

Hi, Devin, and welcome to PF

You're certainly entitled to your feelings - and I can assure you that a great number of folks here can identify with how you are feeling now. You seem to have answered a few of your own fearful questions - you realise that you are not going to find what you need in your current situation. Regardless of whether you find an entirely new path or if you return to some previously held beliefs in the end, we will be here to support you and to help you find your way however we may be able. Feel free to question anything that doesn't sit right in your heart or your beliefs - there are many sub-forums here for nearly everything under the Sun. Perhaps the only real bit of advice I can give you is to understand that there is no such thing as a stupid question.

Good luck and I hope to see you around the boards.

Comment

I am too exhausted after a 8 hour drive to answer this properly...but, you aren't alone here. Over the years I've seen plenty of folks in the same boat. So, welcome to a safe place to explore where you are at.

And, if I get some good sleep, I'll see about answering this properly!
          Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
          sigpic

Comment

Thank you so much. I really do appreciate it. I feel like I'm reaching conclusions too quickly but this isn't new to me. It's just returning to something I already knew.

Comment

I'm sorry you're having such a hard time. It sucks, but the journey through life works that way. We all hit rough spots and it's nice to be able to talk about 'em with others.

I think in your heart of hearts you know what you need to do. Just take it slowly. Don't throw yourself into anything too hard until you're sure it works for you. Feel free to browse the forums, ask questions, etc. We don't bite here, though we might nibble a little.

Good luck on finding your way! Hope you stick around these forums.
              Blog: http://thestarsafire.tumblr.com

Kuchi wa wazawai no moto (the mouth is the origin of disasters)

Comment

Personally, I think it's kind of wrong to say someone who is Pagan was never Christian or doesn't believe in the fallen nature of man. A lot of Pagans (and non-Pagans) come out from a Christian background, so...? I dunno. Maybe I shouldn't talk because I didn't believe in some of the core beliefs of Christianity as a child. -shrug-

That being said, a lot of us go through or have went through something similar, you're really not alone in it! I'm sure you'll figure it out sometime, give it some time and don't rush to find the answer!

Also, welcome~
                Wild Witchy Dusk | TwitterMy Art Blog | My Deviantart

Comment

Most of us have gone through this struggle and have come out stronger on the other side. This struggle you are going through. This search and doubt? It's what's really needed in a spiritual quest. You must first rid yourself of everything false before you can be honest with who you are. You don't need a god to be spiritual. I'm an atheist. And I'm pretty spiritual inside.

Oh. And welcome to the forums.
                  Satan is my spirit animal

Comment

Originally posted by LuciaStar View Post
                    Personally, I think it's kind of wrong to say someone who is Pagan was never Christian or doesn't believe in the fallen nature of man. A lot of Pagans (and non-Pagans) come out from a Christian background, so...? I dunno. Maybe I shouldn't talk because I didn't believe in some of the core beliefs of Christianity as a child. -shrug-
                    The problem I've been having is that I agree with you and it's hard for me to simply keep my mouth shut. Many people convert in spite of or even because of their understanding of the Christian teachings. Some of us (this includes me), wind up leaving either because the teachings are consistent but the believers are not, or because the teachings are inconsistent. I haven't figured out yet which it is for me, but I do know that if my husband and I both believe the Bible but we each believe something entirely different, that means that the teachings are confusing.

Paganism is about following your own path. Some things remain consistent and others don't, but that's okay, because it's meant to be that way.

I realize that there are people who disagree with my assessment. I've not spoken openly with any of my Christian friends about this (yet) because I don't know where the conversation is going to go and whether or not it's going to be a safe place for me. I have a lot of healing to do right now to get back what I've lost, and it's obvious to me already that things are different for me now than they once were.

Originally posted by Medusa View Post
                    Most of us have gone through this struggle and have come out stronger on the other side. This struggle you are going through. This search and doubt? It's what's really needed in a spiritual quest. You must first rid yourself of everything false before you can be honest with who you are. You don't need a god to be spiritual. I'm an atheist. And I'm pretty spiritual inside.
                    Thank you so much! I've always believed in a god or gods, and I cannot imagine being atheist. I respect the path and understand how it's possible to be spiritual and an atheist, but I can't imagine being on that path, if that makes sense? Sometimes I think I've come close, but every time something draws me back to deism.

Actually, "Deist" is a good word to describe me over the past few months, and I've used it a few times.

Comment

You have shown both wisdom and maturity by understanding that the decisions must be yours alone. I have seen so many who reach this type of crisis and go looking for some one to tell them what to do next, what to believe next, and those people can always be found, but that is just a way to delay the inevitability of sorting through ones own thoughts and arriving at one's own decisions.

It also sounds as though you know one of the first steps you want to take: "I have a lot of healing to do right now..." Be kind to yourself as you go about it. Healing takes time; try to refrain from picking the scabs because that increases the possibility of scarring. It may also be useful to bear in mind that whatever pain you feel is probably also reflected in those around you, at least that has been the experience of my life thus far. When the fabric is torn, both edges are tattered.

It seems to vex you that people can read the same book and have different take-aways. Have you ever been in a book club? Rather than it being an extraordinary occurrence, it is typical that different readers find different things in a book. I have reread a book years later and found something entirely different than on the first reading, and I decided that it was because the book was not informing me, rather I was informing the book. The book is like a container that takes on the shape of the reader.

Seeking takes courage, Devin. It is always easier to go along to get along. It also takes strength and patience. Heal up and listen to you inner voice.

"No, no, you're not thinking; you're just being logical." -- Niels Bohr

Comment

Working...
                      X