This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cosleeping

So, the last time this topic popped up was a few years ago and I didn't have a baby then... I'm just curious, how's it going for those that do? For our newer folks, do any of you cosleep with your kiddos or plan to? Opinions?

I put the baby down to start the night in her playpen/bassinet thing and she usually sleeps there for 3-5 hours depending. Sometimes a little longer, but once she wakes up around 2-5 am she's in bed with me the rest of the night. I lay her down for some of her naps as well since I have to get things done. But... middle of the night, we often have me, my husband, the baby, and two dogs, one of which is prolly around 50 lbs now, in bed with us. But, I actually sleep at night so that's wonderful.
    We are what we are. Nothing more, nothing less. There is good and evil among every kind of people. It's the evil among us who rule now. -Anne Bishop, Daughter of the Blood

I wondered if he could ever understand that it was a blessing, not a sin, to be graced with more than one love.
    It could be complicated; of course it could be complicated. And it opened one up to the possibility of more pain and loss.
    Still, it was a blessing I would never relinquish. Love, genuine love, was always a cause for joy.
    -Jacqueline Carey, Naamah's Curse

Service to your fellows is the root of peace.

Re: Cosleeping

Though not actual sleeping,when My ex and I and our kids were about 2-5,Sunday mornings were pile into our bed and hang out until it was time for breakfast. That was a fun time with the kids.
    MAGIC is MAGIC,black OR white or even blood RED

all i ever wanted was a normal life and love.
    NO TERF EVER WE belong Too.
    don't stop the tears.let them flood your soul.

sigpic

my new page here,let me know what you think.

nothing but the shadow of what was

witchvox
    http://www.witchvox.com/vu/vxposts.html

Comment

I co-slept with my daughter til she was close to 2. Transitioning to her own bed was no problem. I am a HUGE advocate for co-sleeping. In fact, making babies sleep in their own space is a very recent fad, only in the last couple of centuries did it become popular. Babies were meant to sleep securely next to their mothers, your body heat and breathing rhythm actually help keep the babies breathing and body temperature regulated. You both get more and BETTER sleep.

Comment

If you are going to cosleep, blankets and dogs are a no-no.

Our daughter slept in her crib next to our bed until she was a year old and then she moved because we were waking her up. She would occasionally be in the bed as an infant, but without pets and with me sitting up and her on my chest.

I know this is a controversial topic, and it can be very safe, but sometimes kids die cosleeping and I think its better to be over-careful if you are gonna do it.

Comment

Originally posted by Rowanwood View Post
          If you are going to cosleep, blankets and dogs are a no-no.

Our daughter slept in her crib next to our bed until she was a year old and then she moved because we were waking her up. She would occasionally be in the bed as an infant, but without pets and with me sitting up and her on my chest.

I know this is a controversial topic, and it can be very safe, but sometimes kids die cosleeping and I think its better to be over-careful if you are gonna do it.

Yea, I worried about the dogs, but they sleep at the foot of the bed and I keep the baby up by me. The Boston will come up next to us if he wants under the blankets, but he never steps on her and as soon as I lift the blanket he goes down to cuddle by my butt or legs. If I roll over, I roll her with me. She's always right next to my side, and I keep her face clear. I sleep lighter having her in the bed, but at least I'm sleeping. She fusses a lot in the morning if we put her back in her playpen and then I don't sleep at all because I'm up and down every half hour/hour making sure she doesn't need her diaper changed, isn't hungry, etc.
          We are what we are. Nothing more, nothing less. There is good and evil among every kind of people. It's the evil among us who rule now. -Anne Bishop, Daughter of the Blood

I wondered if he could ever understand that it was a blessing, not a sin, to be graced with more than one love.
          It could be complicated; of course it could be complicated. And it opened one up to the possibility of more pain and loss.
          Still, it was a blessing I would never relinquish. Love, genuine love, was always a cause for joy.
          -Jacqueline Carey, Naamah's Curse

Service to your fellows is the root of peace.

Comment

Statistically, more babies die in their own separate crib than when sleeping next to their mothers The only time real risk is there is if there are any substances or alcohol being used, or if one of the parents has any kind of sleep issues such as violent nightmares or sleep walking.

Comment

Originally posted by Jillian View Post
              Statistically, more babies die in their own separate crib than when sleeping next to their mothers The only time real risk is there is if there are any substances or alcohol being used, or if one of the parents has any kind of sleep issues such as violent nightmares or sleep walking.
              You have to understand, I live near a big city that I swear we hear about a cosleeping death on a weekly basis...I agree there is usually substances involved, but seriously, that was my kid.

So she was within touching range, but safe from flailing oversized people.

Just my opinion.

Comment

the job of being a parent is always about helping a child be more independent (eventually). In tat way, I don't think that total co-sleeping is helpful. However, when you have a child who struggles to sleep separately for part of the night, then it's natural to comfort the child and take them into your bed.

If there is alcohol or sleep inducing drugs being taken, or if you are an unusually deep sleeper, then for the most part, parental instinct is present while asleep.

When my son was born, he wasn't feeding straight away, so I was advised to lay him next to me so that he might smell milk. I didn't sleep at all.

Comment

My mother coslept with both me and my brother and we're still here .
                  Warning: The above post may contain traces of sarcasm.

An apostrophe is the difference between a business that knows its shit, and a business that knows it's shit.

"Why is every object we don't understand always called a thing?" (McCoy. Star Trek: The Moive Picture)

Comment

Originally posted by Jillian View Post
                    You both get more and BETTER sleep.
                    You've never met my children...lol. This was not at all our family experience.

Originally posted by Rowanwood View Post
                    Our daughter slept in her crib next to our bed until she was a year old and then she moved because we were waking her up.
                    This was more in line with our experience too. None of us got sleep the few times they slept in our bed...but swaddled properly, they'd sleep pretty much through the night (from about 10-5) in the basinette. Both of them stayed in their crib in our room til they were about 18 months old...the only reason Phee "left" our room at that age was because Sharkbait was born and he'd wake her up at 10 and 5, and she likes to sleep in.

We didn't have any trouble getting them to sleep in their own bed...though we still have some trouble keeping them in their own beds. They like to come and snuggle in with me and the hubby in the wee hours of the morning...and Phee would rather sleep in her brothers bed "so he doesn't worry or get lonely"
                    Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
                    sigpic

Comment

I really liked the idea of co-sleeping, but we do 'rooming in.' We keep the bassinet really close to my side of the bed and will keep him in there until 6 months.

We probably may as well have been doing a bit of co-sleeping. When bubba was very new, my husband used to hold him for a while he slept so I could sleep uninterrupted for a few hours. One night, he held him for 3 hours while also tapping his arm supporting arm with his other hand so to bubba, it would have felt like a comfy, heated, vibrating bed I also used to fall asleep accidently while nursing him! :lol: I'd really struggle to keep my eyes open. Now sometimes when he is not sleeping well in the wee hours of the morning, I will put him into the bed with me and my husband or let him sleep beside me for an extra hour if he looks tired when we are about to start the day. Usually though, he sleeps a lot more soundly in his own space where he is not distracted by the scent of milk or has me moving around and vice versa. He can hear me and sense my presence close by and that is usually enough for him for now.

When making decisions about sleeping and what kind of attitude to adopt, http://www.parentingscience.com/sleep-tips.html this website really helped me. There are sections that refer to ancient human survival instincts, which help to explain behaviours.

Comment

Working...
                      X