New to the site & new to Paganism

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New to the site & new to Paganism

Hi I'm Mindy. Over the last year or so I have come into the realization that most of my beliefs and feelings have lead me to living a Pagan life. That being said, I have no idea what I'm doing. There are infinite number of resources and lets be honest they all say different things. So where do I begin? What do you suggest? I have gotten Scott Cunningham's Wicca A Guide for the Solitary Practitioner but haven't cracked it open yet. Sorry for rambling. Thanks for helping. Blessed be. :shy:

Re: New to the site & new to Paganism

Welcome to PF Mindy ! I hope you love it here and it helps you on your journey ^_^
    hey look, I have a book! And look I have a second one too!

Comment

Hi, Mindy, and welcome to PF

As for where to begin - I would suggest collecting a few books from various Neo-Pagan paths (Druidry, etc.) and research - talk to others - signing up for this forum is a good place to start. You will find what resonates with you. Good luck.

Comment

Welcome aboard, Mindy!

As Torey said, you might want to start by collecting a few books. I would recommend Drawing Down the Moon by Margot Adler. It's good if you're looking for a general introduction to neo-pagan and wiccan thought/culture. Hope you enjoy it here

Comment

Hi Mindy! I'm Devin and I'm new here too. I've recently made the decision to revert back to Paganism from Christianity (I say "revert back" because I was a pagan for sixteen years before converting to Christianity), so I'm not new to Paganism, but am having to learn all over again. In the past I followed a different path (mostly Kemetic) than I'm looking to follow now (mostly Celtic) and so I'm having to learn a lot of new things too.

The most important thing, I think, is to understand that there are probably about as many ways to practice paganism as there are people practicing it (even in covens) and so it's very individual. Many of the resources that you'll find are written as much from personal experience as they are from research. I know, because I am working on some resources.

Don't be afraid to ask questions. I'm sure somebody will pick up the answers and help you out!

Comment

Welcome to the forum!
            Anubisa

Dedicated and devoted to Lord Anubis and Lady Bast. A follower of the path of Egyptian Wicca.

Comment

Mythology is a good starting point. Explore the myths and deities of various cultures and see which one really speaks to you.

Comment

Thanks everyone for being so kind. I've read a little bit on the internet and I have one more question before I dive into reading. Do I have to pick a "branch" of Paganism or can I just do what feels right to me without declaring a type of religion?

Comment

Originally posted by justmindy View Post
                  Thanks everyone for being so kind. I've read a little bit on the internet and I have one more question before I dive into reading. Do I have to pick a "branch" of Paganism or can I just do what feels right to me without declaring a type of religion?
                  Not only can you delay if not outright skip picking a label but I strongly advise it. You may eventually come across a tradition that feels perfect but until and unless that occurs, attempting to shove yourself into a mold is more migraine than it's worth.
                  life itself was a lightsaber in his hands; even in the face of treachery and death and hopes gone cold, he burned like a candle in the darkness. Like a star shining in the black eternity of space.

Yoda: Dark Rendezvous

"But those men who know anything at all about the Light also know that there is a fierceness to its power, like the bare sword of the law, or the white burning of the sun." Suddenly his voice sounded to Will very strong, and very Welsh. "At the very heart, that is. Other things, like humanity, and mercy, and charity, that most good men hold more precious than all else, they do not come first for the Light. Oh, sometimes they are there; often, indeed. But in the very long run the concern of you people is with the absolute good, ahead of all else..."

John Rowlands, The Grey King by Susan Cooper

"You come from the Lord Adam and the Lady Eve", said Aslan. "And that is both honour enough to erect the head of the poorest beggar, and shame enough to bow the shoulders of the greatest emperor on earth; be content."

Aslan, Prince Caspian by CS Lewis

Comment

You all are the best. I'm nervous but excited. This feels so right. I've tried to force myself to be Christian but felt like I was wearing someone's skin. Well I've found a lot of free e-books and a lot of libraries that let you check out e-books that have a lot of books to read. Thanks again.

Comment

Mindy, you can never go wrong by beginning with your own experiences.

Best wishes, and welcome home.
                      Every moment of a life is a horrible tragedy, a slapstick comedy, dark nihilism, golden illumination, or nothing at all; depending on how we write the story we tell ourselves.

Comment

Hi! Welcome
                        If I was going to give you any advice, I'd say that I've found for myself that keeping an open mind and exploring many different religions has helped make my own path more rich and fulfilling for me. I agree with the advice to avoid labeling yourself; my favorite thing about being a pagan is that my path is my own.

Good luck

Oh, for book recommendations, one of my favorites was:
                        'The Elements of Ritual: Air, Fire, Water & Earth in the Wiccan Circle'
                        By Deborah Lipp

I found it answered a lot of my questions about casting a circle in a way that really made sense to me that I felt like was missing from other sources, though that's just my opinion.

Comment

welcome

Comment

Working...
                          X