• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Sometimes women make me want to be a man

Originally posted by thalassa View Post
    ...just google "butt implants gone wrong"
    Concrete and silicon caulking material?
    Every moment of a life is a horrible tragedy, a slapstick comedy, dark nihilism, golden illumination, or nothing at all; depending on how we write the story we tell ourselves.

Comment

There's also the lady who was addicted to plastic surgery. The docs wouldn't work on her anymore. And she started injecting cooking oil into her face.
      face sauce here
      Satan is my spirit animal

Comment

I should probably add, in the interest of full disclosure, that I've had plastic surgery. I was 19, and I had a breast reduction surgery. And, having gone thru 5 pregnancies and having carried two kids full term that had to be delivered via c-section, I'd totally get a tummy tuck if it weren't so darn expensive (exercise only does so much there). I'm not opposed to plastic surgery...but its still surgery. Its an invasive medical procedure with real risks.
        Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
        sigpic

Comment

I think there's a big difference between (relatively) minor cosmetic surgery, plastic surgery for medical reasons (and I'd put most breast reductions in this category) and the sort of wildly exaggerated ridiculous cosmetic surgery like having JJ boobs or cat whiskers implanted. I don't have a problem with cosmetic surgery in general, and I think that sometimes people look at the extremes and forget that there's actually a lot of subtle cosmetic surgery work that goes on all the time and can be incredibly enriching for people's lives.

And I say 'relatively' minor because the reality is that an anaesthetic is an anaesthetic, and the most dangerous time period is actually in the first 20 minutes or so. We talk about 'minor' vs 'major' surgery so much that people get used to the idea that quick is safe, when that's not actually true. Any time that you are having anaesthetic drugs, being cut into or having something implanted into you actually carries a great deal of risk, yet that is often not the way that the general public understands it.

I honestly find it absolutely abhorrent that someone can pretty much just walk into a cosmetic surgeon's office and have their face plasticized beyond recognition or have their boobs giantized (and yeah... I totally made those words up), yet transgender and gender diverse people can't even have the relatively simple things like breast, butt and hip implants (for transwomen) or breast removals (for transmen) without jumping through some serious hoops. We're not even talking genital reassignment or facial feminization here... but the stuff that is actually not that different to what cosmetic surgeons do on cis-people all the time. There's just something fundamentally screwed up about that, in my opinion.

It's a double standards thing. I generally agree that some sort of counseling or psych evaluation should be a part of the process if one is radically altering their body. But that standard should be consistent across the board, not waived for some groups and upheld militantly for others.

Comment

Originally posted by Medusa View Post
            This woman wants to be a real Barbie Doll. No, not just look like one. But be one. She wants to be brainless. So she's taking an on-line hypnotherapy class to learn to be brainless.
            I don't see how it's any less ridiculous than the thousands of scientists who want to be the six million dollar man, or those balding middle age dudes who go to charm classes to learn how to pretend to be James Bond more effectively.

I get it, the need to be special. However some people, maybe even most people, are mediocre at best. It takes talent and dedication to be exceptionally gifted, unless you are willing to settle for exceptionally shameless or desperate.

That and some people are just weirdly obsessed with things.

Originally posted by Medusa View Post
            How can you 'learn' to become brainless?
            There are two parts to stupidity, willful ignorance and idiotic behavior. Both of which can certainly be learned.
            Trust is knowing someone or something well enough to have a good idea of their motivations and character, for good or for ill. People often say trust when they mean faith.

Comment

Working...
            X