Right and Left handed paths

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Right and Left handed paths

I am wondering what people think of these paths and which do you follow and if anyone can explain it. Are there certain religions in which if you follow it, you automatically follow a certain path? Can you be a Christian and follow the left handed path and be a Luciferian and follow the right handed path? Also I personally follow the right handed path more. Mostly because I recognize higher powers but also because I don't see many good things about the left handed path. This could be my experience, but almost all of the left handed path I have met and known are usually unethical, arrogant and a bit selfish, wanting things for their own personal gain. I am wondering if anyone can enlighten me on this subject.

Re: Right and Left handed paths

Originally posted by Alienist
    I am wondering what people think of these paths and which do you follow and if anyone can explain it.
    I wrote a rather lengthy essay on the topic of Right and Left Hand Paths in which I go into much further detail, but I will give my thoughts on the matter here.

There are essentially three primary definitions of "Left Hand Paths". I will do my best to explain:

1. The "popular" and most common definition for a Left Hand Path is any path in which the following criteria are met:

• The important of the Self and personal power are forefront in ideology.
    • There is little to no reservation regarding the use of offensive magick or magick that some consider to be "negative" (i.e., cursing, hexing, binding, etc.)
    • Personal gain and gratification is often prioritised over indiscriminate altruism
    • "Immortality" is sometimes sought by means of either achieving notoriety, fame or a meaningful legacy or through various advanced disciplines supposed "lasting spiritual consciousness" in which one desires to be aware of one's own death occurring and to be aware of one's own reincarnation by retaining the memory of one's past life or lives
    • The practitioner rejects "union with the Divine" or the merging of the spiritual essence with the "Source" after death

2. A Left Hand Path may refer to Vedic interpretations and Indian-inspired traditions that may be considered profoundly divergent from common practice. The term for these variations is vamacara.

3. The Left Hand Path is sometimes interpreted, in a Qabbalistic sense, to be those paths and practices aligned with Boaz, the Pillar of Severity as opposed to those (Right Hand Paths) aligned with Jachin, the Pillar of Mercy.

Or, an alternate indication which most assume of the term is that Left Hand Paths include "darker" traditions such as Satanism, Luciferianism, etc. whereas a generic indication for Right Hand Paths is that they include "white light" paths such as Wicca, etc.

I follow a Left Hand Path in regards to my first and third definitions.

Are there certain religions in which if you follow it, you automatically follow a certain path?
    Not in actuality due to the fact that the terms "Left Hand Path" and "Right Hand Path" do not have one singular definition, as I have explained above. But, if one is assuming that "Left Hand Paths" include the paths of Luciferianism, Satanism and Demonolatry, for instance, one could then claim that anyone practicing any of those paths would be classified as following a Left Hand Path.

But, no - you do not "automatically" become classified as either as the definitions of what constitutes a Right or Left Hand Path vary.

Can you be a Christian and follow the left handed path and be a Luciferian and follow the right handed path?
    This would depend, again, on which definition(s) you are applying to a Left Hand Path or a Right Hand Path. I will illustrate interpretations of your scenario within the context of my above definitions:

Definition #1:

The "popular" and most common definition for a Left Hand Path is any path in which the following criteria are met:

• The important of the Self and personal power are forefront in ideology.
    • There is little to no reservation regarding the use of offensive magick or magick that some consider to be "negative" (i.e., cursing, hexing, binding, etc.)
    • Personal gain and gratification is often prioritised over indiscriminate altruism
    • "Immortality" is sometimes sought by means of either achieving notoriety, fame or a meaningful legacy or through various advanced disciplines supposed "lasting spiritual consciousness" in which one desires to be aware of one's own death occurring and to be aware of one's own reincarnation by retaining the memory of one's past life or lives
    • The practitioner rejects "union with the Divine" or the merging of the spiritual essence with the "Source" after death
    A traditional Christian would not likely (deliberately) align themselves with any of the aforementioned criteria. In this example, I would be compelled to say that one would not be able to operate as a traditional Christian and follow a Left Hand Path.

Definition #2:

A Left Hand Path may refer to Vedic interpretations and Indian-inspired traditions that may be considered profoundly divergent from common practice. The term for these variations is vamacara.
    This depends entirely upon to what degree the Christian in question holds to his or her Christian traditions and what role(s) the aforementioned practices play in his or her lifestyle or spiritual existence. There are many, many variations of these practices and it would be well beyond the scope of this post to contrast Christian belief with each of them.

Definition #3:

The Left Hand Path is sometimes interpreted, in a Qabbalistic sense, to be those paths and practices aligned with Boaz, the Pillar of Severity as opposed to those (Right Hand Paths) aligned with Jachin, the Pillar of Mercy.
    This concept can become rather complex.

When people think of the Pillar of Severity, they first associate it with "evil" and Chaos and this simply is not the case. While these concepts can be aspects of Boaz, they do not define it. Boaz encompasses the Sephiroth of Binah, Geburah and Hod. It is primarily feminine, which may seem to contradict the masculine energy of Christianity - but that isn't to say that a Christian can't align themselves with the virtues of Boaz. Again, this is well beyond the scope of this post - but if you are at all familiar with the essences of Binah, Geburah and Hod then you will understand that being aligned with the Pillar of Severity is not to be simplified and reduced to "that which destroys or is utterly wicked". So in this case, I would say that it is possible for a Christian to be aligned with a Left Hand Path inclination.

Regarding the opposite and whether or not a Luciferian or a Satanist can be aligned with a Right Hand Path - again, you would need to define "Right Hand Path" and deduct from that definition whether or not the ideals and cosmologies of those particular paths mesh with it.

Also I personally follow the right handed path more. Mostly because I recognize higher powers but also because I don't see many good things about the left handed path.
    I'm curious as to why you feel that "recognising higher powers" is more accurately associated with Right Hand Paths and in what context? Certainly, you are free to interpret either Path as you like, but I assure you that there are good things about Left Hand Paths. Again, how you define it will dictate your perceptions.

This could be my experience, but almost all of the left handed path I have met and known are usually unethical, arrogant and a bit selfish, wanting things for their own personal gain.
    Well, "wanting things for personal gain" is not confined to practitioners of Left Hand Paths. Regardless of your spiritual path, human beings will innately act, for the most part, out of motivation driven by the desire for personal gain.

There are plenty of "unethical, arrogant and a bit selfish" people practicing Right Hand Paths. In fact, the majority of nasty, arrogant people whom I have met are "Right Hand Path"-associated. Interesting.

Comment

I don't hear too many good things of left handed practicing people. When I say for personal gain, I mean they do it out of other people's expense, at least from I've seen and heard. They often practice things that are considered strange or taboo when it comes to practice or magic. Of course taboo doesn't always mean bad, it just means something not ordinary or frowned upon whether it actually is bad or not. Some things I hear could be bias against left handers but who knows. But it seems like it's quite opposite. As opposed to helping others, you help only yourself, as opposed to being humble, you instead become overconfident. It doesn't seem like a very ethical path to follow.

Comment

Alienist, in all seriousness - you post some really great topics for discussion and you are probably the only person here who actually asks questions pertaining to what I practice. Thanks!

Originally posted by Alienist View Post
        I don't hear too many good things of left handed practicing people. When I say for personal gain, I mean they do it out of other people's expense, at least from I've seen and heard. They often practice things that are considered strange or taboo when it comes to practice or magic. Of course taboo doesn't always mean bad, it just means something not ordinary or frowned upon whether it actually is bad or not. Some things I hear could be bias against left handers but who knows. But it seems like it's quite opposite. As opposed to helping others, you help only yourself, as opposed to being humble, you instead become overconfident. It doesn't seem like a very ethical path to follow.
        Yes, the key phrases in your statement are "I don't hear too many good things of left handed practicing people", "some things I hear could be bias", "seems like" and "doesn't seem like a very ethical path".

You are operating on hearsay and what you have read from and seen from others who claim to be associated with a Left Hand Path.

Left Hand Paths are not defined by what you're making examples of here. There is no "law" within Left Hand Paths that says that you don't help others, that you are arrogant and cocky, etc. From whose examples are you drawing these illustrations?

Certainly, there are nasty people who claim to follow Left Hand Paths just as there are nasty people who claim to follow Right Hand Paths.

What is your definition of "ethical"?

How do any of the legitimate definitions I provided you with above actually match these examples of "unethical" practices that you are giving me?

Comment

IMO the modern, western conception of 'left hand path' is a meaningless semantic and aesthetic distinction fueled by either a) a desire to adopt a certain image, or b) a fundamental misunderstanding of metaphysics leading to a fear that the "RHP" method of spiritual development necessarily results in a loss of identity/self awareness. As a categorization it achieves nothing except to create confusion.
          Last edited by Aeran; 22 Feb 2014, 19:21.

Comment

Originally posted by Torey View Post
            Alienist, in all seriousness - you post some really great topics for discussion and you are probably the only person here who actually asks questions pertaining to what I practice. Thanks!

Yes, the key phrases in your statement are "I don't hear too many good things of left handed practicing people", "some things I hear could be bias", "seems like" and "doesn't seem like a very ethical path".

You are operating on hearsay and what you have read from and seen from others who claim to be associated with a Left Hand Path.

Left Hand Paths are not defined by what you're making examples of here. There is no "law" within Left Hand Paths that says that you don't help others, that you are arrogant and cocky, etc. From whose examples are you drawing these illustrations?

Certainly, there are nasty people who claim to follow Left Hand Paths just as there are nasty people who claim to follow Right Hand Paths.

What is your definition of "ethical"?

How do any of the legitimate definitions I provided you with above actually match these examples of "unethical" practices that you are giving me?
            Glad to be of service. I like asking questions about this kind of thing. It's the only way I'll learn of course.

I guess you're right about the paths that it's only what I have experienced and heard. After all intolerance is caused by ignorance. If one is ignorant about a faith they are more likely to less trustworthy of it. I do appreciate certain parts of the left handed path like questioning authority and wanting spiritual freedom ect. I guess when it means focusing on yourself it doesn't necessarily mean one should be selfish. After all I believe I am important which isn't really bad as long as it's not overconfidence.

It'd be difficult to explain how many ethics I have and what I consider to be ethical. It'd probably be several pages describing it. But I just found some things strange about the left handed path like using sex in rituals and so on. It doesn't seem bad but why would one do that, out of curiosity? To enhance arousal or to empower the ritual, or both?

Comment

I am wondering what people think of these paths and which do you follow and if anyone can explain it. Are there certain religions in which if you follow it, you automatically follow a certain path? Can you be a Christian and follow the left handed path and be a Luciferian and follow the right handed path? Also I personally follow the right handed path more. Mostly because I recognize higher powers but also because I don't see many good things about the left handed path. This could be my experience, but almost all of the left handed path I have met and known are usually unethical, arrogant and a bit selfish, wanting things for their own personal gain. I am wondering if anyone can enlighten me on this subject.
              Torey has answered the OP in great detail, and there's not that much to add to his post.

What it boils down to is that most people who come from a Christian background into one of the 'love and light' neo-pagan faiths actually misunderstand the whole RHP versus LHP designation. To an extent it's just semantics, but it's not about 'good' vs 'bad' or 'us' vs 'them' or 'altruistic' vs 'selfish'. It's about the core concepts that differ between ideologies.

There are a number of people who use being a LHPer as an excuse to be selfish jerks. These are the same sorts of people who use being a Satanist as an excuse to be selfish jerks. They would be selfish jerks regardless of what path they follow, but they have specifically chosen to claim a path that they think validates their behaviour. Which just indicates that they don't actually understand the path nor the spirituality behind it.

Serious LHPers, Satanists, Luciferians et al are not generally selfish jerks. They are generally serious spiritual and magickal practitioners who happen to hold a fundamentally different ideology to the average neo-Wiccan or Christian person. It's not about being selfish, caring only about yourself, hurting other people for no reason, doing taboo things just because you can and you think it's edgy, or walking around being cocky and insulting everyone else. That's not what a LHP path is. It's about valuing the self, making careful choices about when altruism is appropriate, knowing yourself and your limits and talents, recognising that the self is Divine and is not subservient or inferior to deity, and having a slightly more realistic set of ethical guidelines than 'harm none'.

The reality is that most of us (in the wider neo-pagan community) actually walk somewhere up the middle, and are neither LHP nor RHP. I know an enormous number of neo-pagans who would never consider themselves to be LHP, but who lean further in that direction than the other. Personally, I'm not into dichotomous linear models of ethics or persuasion. I think that life and ideology is a great deal more complex than that and I just don't resonate with binary models. But I am one of those practitioners who you could say fits more at the LHP end than the RHP end.

It's not opposite, but that's what most hardcore 'love and light' people would have you believe. The LHP doesn't say you can never help others... it's about understanding that always helping others and being altruistic is not practical, and that your own self deserves just as much help as other people. It's not about being overconfident, but recognising your own worth and talents.

When you think about it, the extreme RHP is actually not realistic at all. It's a goal that some people strive towards, but it's one that very, very few people can actually achieve. ALWAYS help others, no matter the cost to yourself? Always give up your own resources, no matter if it leaves you starving or vulnerable? Trust everyone and always give them the benefit of the doubt, even if they are liable to stab you in the back or cheat you out of your money? Be nice to everyone and never say anything against them? Never harm another living thing? Always be humble and never boast or be prideful of your own deeds or skills? Strive to meet some deity's unrealistic model of virtue so that you can bask in their eternal presence when you die? Walk in the light always? Really... what does that sound like to you?

But I just found some things strange about the left handed path like using sex in rituals and so on. It doesn't seem bad but why would one do that, out of curiosity? To enhance arousal or to empower the ritual, or both?
              The use of sex in ritual is normally one of two things. Actually three... no five.

1) The Great Rite, which in neo-pagan circles is a traditional Wiccan thing (not neo-Wiccan, Gardnerian and Alexandrian Wicca) that Gardner pulled from certain earlier ceremonial practices. It's about joining the male and female essences and energies and is a celebration of the joining of the two. It comes from earlier Ceremonial Magick practices, where there is even more symbology and esoteric meaning behind it, which gets rather complex and abstract when you dig into it. Basically... this is not about sex. It's about what the sex symbolises.

2) Sex magick purely for the energy source. Sex is a brilliant way to raise and focus energy... if you can keep control of it (which is a skill that takes practice). This can either be done alone or with a partner (or partners)... I wont go into the mechanics of it but needless to say it's a way of raising energy which is then released towards a goal. There are all sorts of ways to do it, and all sorts of skills involved that can make it a very profound and effective tool for all sorts of magickal goals.

3) The sort of 'ritualised orgies' and 'gratuitous dirty sex' that gives Christians and extreme RHPers nightmares... which is utilised largely as psychodrama designed to break down ingrained concepts of taboo and 'virtue', thus opening up the psyche and self to more profound growth and experience. You see this in the writings of people like LaVey and Crowley, which is often misinterpreted into 'gratuitous dirty sex' but actually has a much deeper meaning. This is the sort of thing that is copied by superficial pseudo-Satanists who want the shock value to make everyone think that they are dark and edgy and cool (but who have really just missed the point and proven their own ineptitude). There are some modern groups who now use BDSM sex magick in a similar way.

I should probably also add...

4) Fertility rituals and magick. Sometimes sex in ritual is just about celebrating the human body and fertility, especially at common neo-pagan festivals like Beltane.

Oh and...

5) Tantric sex. Lots of neo-pagans are exploring tantric sex, which is a form of energy work that you do with your partner and is about balancing and purifying your own and your partner's energy, and enriching your relationship. Some people use it to enrich their love lives without all the spiritual stuff (and mix it up with kama sutra), but it is originally a very spiritual practice and not at all just about sex in odd positions.

Comment

I don't hear too many good things of left handed practicing people.

This for me was one of the most interesting parts of this thread (although I must say that both Torey and Rae'ya have given excellent replies).

The thing is, we should always question what we hear and from whom we hear it. 'I don't hear too many good things of....' is a statement we need to explore thoroughly (and truly, this is no criticism of you, Alienist).

When people tell us things it's always important to explore what and why they make such statements. Do they have a hidden agenda perhaps? Are they misinformed? Practising disinformation? Or what?

When I was young, I was always questioning things. And this often got me into trouble. It certainly got me a reputation as a trouble maker and rebel. It was Mr Penry who hit the nail on the head when he remarked 'You're not a rebel - you just hate injustice.'

It's been my experience that 'other people' are far too ready with opinions, based on far too little information. And this is something we all need to be aware off. Because it's not LHP or RHP that is really the issue - it's how far do those who criticise really know what they're talking about?
                www.thewolfenhowlepress.com

Phantom Turnips never die.... they just get stewed occasionally....

Comment

LHP practitioners are pretty much still just people. The end result being that you'll come across any number of great people that follow a LHP, any number of LHP practitioners that you want nothing to do with and a host of people somewhere in between. A philosophy doesn't define a person. The choices made in applying a philosophy to life will.

Comment

I think what gets me is the notion of RHP / LHP is very much an oriental mysticism concept, much akin to Karma and karmic debt. When carried into the Western model it looses so much of its content and purpose. Consider sex for instance. In RHP concepts you get into gods / goddesses and enlightenment through resistance and acceptance. Yet in many LHP concepts you arrive at the same conclusions but by engaging fully in exploring it from the self. Yet the exploration is seen differently in that it becomes an issue of self gratification versus self enlightenment and discovery of the higher self. Even what i've written not fully defining the Eastern Mysticism usage of LHP / RHP.

In a lot of western practices it seems more a godliness versus and ungodliness and obtained through divinity vice obtained through humanity. SO much discolored by the assumption of Christian notions of Satanism and such and its equation as a LHP.
                    I'm Only Responsible For What I Say Not For What Or How You Understand!

Comment

Each side naturally criticize each other. RHP is said to be too restrictive, too strict and too dogmatic. LHP is said to be too rebellious, too selfish, too anarchic. It's difficult to tell exactly which path is right for me. Maybe it has something to do with my brother, who seems to follow a LHP life. We've had conflict with each other for a while and, wanting to protect myself and wanting to stay clear of whatever path he's following, it just seems better that I follow a RHP life.

Comment

For 20 years I followed a left hand path. I evolved to my current path over the last 10+ years. I mention this because the op reminded me about my daughter. She was raised with the essential LHP ideals and with that others often gave her some difficulties.

We spent a lot of personal time developing her mind reading books with her, listening and taking her to symphonies and plays, developing her physical strength as well as teaching her how to use her beauty.

Her intelligence threatened others and even teachers gave her a hard time, mostly because she questioned everything. Her natural beauty and early development threatened other girls who gave her a hard time. Her physical strength and martial arts training ment verbal abuse was all anyone could do to her. Which she learned to use that as a weapon against others, which made some think she had a cunning streak that off put some.

Hardest yet for most of her peers was seeing a girl with a happy smile and great family life seemingly having and getting anything she wanted but being open and honest to others. This really drove many kids to try and find a kink in her armor.

I mention all this because many just assumed she was selfish or stuck up or manipulative. They treated her differently because they could not understand her, the small church doctrine based community she grew up in felt she threatened their ways.

Instead in reality she is smart (physics major at University) and lives life to the fullest. While others sit around she does things and experiences stuff and learns. She is quiet and always assessing her surroundings but when its time to play she lets loose with all her passion. She can come across as cold or insensitive to those who give her a hard time or speak down to her and she can be void of emotion if deeply involved in a task.

To me this is the ideals of the LHP don't hold back or let things stand in your way and live life with no fear. If others are offended or think you are snobby or selfish than they have their own personal faults to deal with.

Comment

Each side naturally criticize each other. RHP is said to be too restrictive, too strict and too dogmatic. LHP is said to be too rebellious, too selfish, too anarchic. It's difficult to tell exactly which path is right for me. Maybe it has something to do with my brother, who seems to follow a LHP life. We've had conflict with each other for a while and, wanting to protect myself and wanting to stay clear of whatever path he's following, it just seems better that I follow a RHP life.
                          Which is why I advocate doing away with the divide entirely. Once you strip away aesthetics and a bit of misguided and baseless philosophical semantics, you'd be hard pressed to find any firm differences between the practices, lifestyles and goals of people who call themselves 'LHP' and the rest of the occult/spiritual community. Figure out what you want in life and practice the things which will get you there and stop worrying about how to label it.

Comment

Personally, I'm a fan of equilibrium.
                            Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
                            sigpic

Comment

There are many reasons for people exploring pagan practices. But those who stick with it for a long period of time who weren't, say, born into a practicing family, usually are doing it to search for themselves. Not always, but commonly. Sticking to a label like left-handed or right-handed is counter-productive, in my opinion, for people who are trying to find an avenue to explore. I mean, the path to self-discovery and finding where you best fit in in the world cannot be done by forcing the bits and pieces of you that don't agree with either path to fit into that path. One thing that is important to understand is that the question of semantics in practicing only comes down to perspective.

For example, in a hypothetical scenario, a right-handed person may see themselves as a proud follower of tradition and see a left-hander as an upstart rebel whose out to upset the balance of the natural order. That right-handed person may take action to halt the progress of the left-handed follower, and as a consequence this person's life gets thrown into chaos, they lose faith in themselves, and ultimately commit suicide. The right-handed person learns what they have done, becomes upset, and ceases to practice their faith, then goes on to throw themselves into an extremist religion where they become a mindless follower of an ideology where they no longer take action on their own, but instead have given all control of self-responsibility to this religion and doctrine they choose to follow. They go on to post youtube slam campaigns about the evils of their previous religion, citing it as being a left-handed, selfish mind-controlling organization who breaks with tradition, because they are no longer capable of feeling personal responsibility. In their mind, they went from being on a right-handed path where they knew they kept the natural order, acted in what they thought was that order's best interest, only to have their plan backfire. Then they took extreme action to say that they had been tricked into following a left-handed path. In the end of this hypothetical story, upon reflecting on the paths taken and followed, if this person had never adhered to a single way of thinking to begin with and never limited their definition of what was left or right handed, thinking of it in terms of right and wrong instead of left or right, this person would never have taken action that led to the death of another nor left to pursue another path.

The path of self-discovery is not about discovering an organization or religion where you belong, though many take this route because there are, in fact many benefits to it. Self-discovery is not about a label to pin to yourself. Because what that label says you are, doesn't say the same thing to another. Self-discovery is, in fact, finding out what makes you feel a certain way, why it makes you feel that way, and what actions can you take that you are okay with. What kind of person are you okay being? And if you choose to adopt a label, are you okay with knowing that there will always be people who are going to judge you for wearing that label? I mean if you choose to wear that right-handed label, are you prepared to accept that there will be a left-handed person who looks down on you? Or vice-versa? Why do you want that label? Is it going to help you walk through your life the way you want to walk it? Or is it a label to make you different from the people around you? Or do you want another label to make you acceptable to the people you care about? Or to keep the people you've known your whole from controlling who you are? The best way to know who to be is not by chasing down a label and pinning it to yourself like a badge, but in those quiet contemplative moments where you get in touch with yourself and get to know who you are instead. Then you can choose to find a label you know you want to be pinned with and don't mind being ridiculed for wearing. Or maybe decide you don't even want a label, after all.

Comment

Working...
                              X