This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fatwa against Mars travelers

I could have put this in news and current events...but I figured I'd plop it here.

Interesting stuff!

Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
    sigpic

Re: Fatwa against Mars travelers

When one's soul mission in life and livelihood is based on the issuing of fatwas, issue fatwas one will. Two million of 'em...

...the General Authority of Islamic Affairs & Endowments, or GAIAE, the United Arab Emirates' religious watchdog...

...Since its inception in 2008, the GAIAE has released nearly 2 million fatwas. The fatwa on the Mars mission is now among them.

P.S. Fatwa is a fun word to say, I just discovered.
    Every moment of a life is a horrible tragedy, a slapstick comedy, dark nihilism, golden illumination, or nothing at all; depending on how we write the story we tell ourselves.

Comment

It's an interesting argument. I think they've passed judgement too early but it does serve as a reminder that a one-way mission requires exceptional amounts of preparation. Without exceptional prep for a host of problems, the accusation that such a mission is suicide will have merit. That said, 5-9 years from now as the preparations unfold, the organization may repeal its decision. They appear to be historically pro space travel so it's just a matter of making the mission non-suicidal.
      life itself was a lightsaber in his hands; even in the face of treachery and death and hopes gone cold, he burned like a candle in the darkness. Like a star shining in the black eternity of space.

Yoda: Dark Rendezvous

"But those men who know anything at all about the Light also know that there is a fierceness to its power, like the bare sword of the law, or the white burning of the sun." Suddenly his voice sounded to Will very strong, and very Welsh. "At the very heart, that is. Other things, like humanity, and mercy, and charity, that most good men hold more precious than all else, they do not come first for the Light. Oh, sometimes they are there; often, indeed. But in the very long run the concern of you people is with the absolute good, ahead of all else..."

John Rowlands, The Grey King by Susan Cooper

"You come from the Lord Adam and the Lady Eve", said Aslan. "And that is both honour enough to erect the head of the poorest beggar, and shame enough to bow the shoulders of the greatest emperor on earth; be content."

Aslan, Prince Caspian by CS Lewis

Comment

the question is, if they set up a legitimate colony or place to live on Mars, is it really suicide?
        hey look, I have a book! And look I have a second one too!

Comment

Any Islamic Institution can issue a Fatwa/Fetva. They used to do it to depose Sultans, different Sunnah and Shi'a organizations issue fatwahs all the time against each other. Any Fatwa can be formally rescended.

Comment

Working...
          X