Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: about Depression

Originally posted by Jera View Post
    This is why I am on a psychiatric forum for this sort of thing...you get less ignorant answers
    Honestly? If you're getting your Psychiatric advice from anyone that's not a doctor you're an idiot (not you personally, the "you're" meaning "the individual that's getting advice from random people on the Internet")

And yes, there's some ignorance here. But some of us have lived it, that should not be dismissed.

Comment

Originally posted by Roknrol View Post
      Honestly? If you're getting your Psychiatric advice from anyone that's not a doctor you're an idiot (not you personally, the "you're" meaning "the individual that's getting advice from random people on the Internet")

And yes, there's some ignorance here. But some of us have lived it, that should not be dismissed.
      It's not for psychiatric advice, it's for support and finding others whom you can share feelings and experiences with, and don't give you answers like, "all you have to do is challenge your negative thinking".
      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Jera View Post
        It's not for psychiatric advice, it's for support and finding others whom you can share feelings and experiences with, and don't give you answers like, "all you have to do is challenge your negative thinking".
        Ah, so you stopped reading with the troll. That explains a lot.

Comment

Thanks for sharing.

Comment

Many people are going through anxiety and depression which are the most common mental concerns. Depression symptoms include: 1. Persistent sad
            2. Loss of interest in pleasurable activities
            3. Periods of crying
            4. Feel guilty, helpless or hopeless
            5. Changes in sleep and appetite patterns
            6. Low energy levels
            7. Low self-esteem
            8. Suicidal thoughts or attempts

Comment

Originally posted by Aikadon View Post
              I... suffer from bipolarity. I haven't been diagnosed, so perhaps i shouldn't use the term, but mmy mood tend to be instable.
              I want to be happy, and i'm really trying, but good lord it's difficult. I'd appreciate it if you guys could share some of your spiritual practices on how to deal with depressive feelings, or just getting out of the blue in general. Spells, rituals, prayer, etc.

Thanks, and blessed be.

I think you should go for an outdoor trip or tour with your family or friends. I believe that travel around beautiful surrounded areas is the best way to control the depression. It is very good for mental relaxation and helpful to reduce the depression lever. I hope you will find it much better than any kind of rituals and other activities.

Comment

I meditate i invision light filling me and darkness leaving and repeat often while i take a shower. I have rocks i hold dear to help ground me. I ask my goddes for love and light in my darkest of moments. I go to the humane society and love on the animals there. I spend time with children life always seems simpler through their eyes they know the joy in small things. I spend time outdoors staring at water trying to be embrace its adaptability. I push harder to define my spirituality i listen to music. I write the good and bad and the moments where the pen writes what it feels it needs to. Working at a nursing home spending time with people near deaths door makes me appreciate my youth. I have to fight my depression i cant allow the negative thoughts power. when i do i have a breakdown..... i become more upset that i lost control its a fast moving downward spiral if i dont fight it. Meds may work for some but having sucidal thoughts listed as a side effect is unacceptable for me.

Comment

I meditate... but I always imagine things like flight. Kind of feels like "leaving things behind" to be dropping through the clouds and seeing land appearing and reappearing below, like nothing earthly could possibly keep up.

These things work well as mood management techniques and help preserve a sense of stability if you find a good one to train your brain in, but that's about it. Things like depression can have some deep roots that take a lot of unraveling to find (in some cases, there might not be anything to point to), which I found out while working through mine.

Comment

Well I don't really have much of a way of dealing with depression . I was depressed , had severe anger and anxiety issues from six years old to thirteen years old which also developed into a tendency to self harm. I never took medication for any of these problems
                    I didn't even go to a psychiatrist . I still suffer from anxiety a little and depression but I no longer self harm . The thing that helped me the most was meditation and my friend who kinda brought me out of my shell which helped take my mind off of it. Best advice I can give is stay strong .
                    Knowledge is the key to eternity. Not bowing before a deity not grovling at the feet of a messiah. Knowledge is power beyond mesure - satanic witch

Comment

Originally posted by Aikadon View Post
                      I apologize for reckless use of the term, It was never my intention to insult or be disrespectful to anyone, and I didn't intend to claim that I had self-diagnosed myself, as I understand how lacking my competence is on the subject. I do not claim to be diagnosable with bipolarity, and by using the term I rather hoped to explain my subjective experience, rather than the definable diagnosis, which I realize was stupid, and again, I'm sorry.
                      Not to discredit MoonRaven's feelings in any way, as they are completely valid, but as someone who suffers from Bipolar Disorder, I can say that I felt no disrespect or insult. When you stated you were Bipolar, you stated that you haven't been diagnosed and might be misusing the term, so that shows understanding in that some may take offense.

I do highly suggest talking to a mental health clinician and getting a professional opinion. From your description, it does sound more like depression, however as I'm not a clinician, don't take any of what I say as fact. All I can speak from is personal experience being involved in mental health in my personal life and in my professional life. If you're able to speak with a doctor about your feelings, thoughts, and symptoms, they'll be able to help you start to put your finger on the issue and help you feel better.

My suggestions when choosing a mental health clinician is that don't feel like you're stuck with the first clinican (psychologist, psychiatrist, clinical social worker, etc.) you see. You should feel some sort of understanding and connection with your clinician, so you can feel comfortable truly talking about what you're going through. As difficult as it may be, try to be as open, raw, and honest as you can. Even if you have thoughts or emotions that you may find embarrassing, it's their job to listen, be supportive, keep it confidential and not place judgement on you. From personal experience, if you hold back, you could be misdiagnosed and will only feel relief from what you're feeling for a short time, rather than feeling like your usual self. I was misdiagnosed from an early age, and just recently discovered that I don't just suffer from severe depression, but rather a myriad of other disorders that require different types of medication and counseling. I'm now feeling better than I ever have, and yes I still have down days that I just can't explain. It's all part of learning to live with the disorder.

Please remember, that you're not alone. Meditation, Mindfulness, and Cognitive Behavior Therapy (CBT) are really good things to take a look into if you're interested. You can find books relating to them, and internet articles rather easily.

Sorry for rambling on. I have a tendancy to be a little wordy at times when I feel a strong connection to a subject.

Comment

A lot of my family have bi-polar tendencies, along with a few diagnosed "multiple personality disorder" and several are very severe, yet most of them live with denial of it. A big thing is to always remember that you are never alone

Comment

I can sympathize with your plight. I too have dealt with depression since my childhood. I also have a lovely anxiety disorder that can be quite crippling at times. As has been stated above, seeking help can be quite beneficial. I saw a dramatic change after I got put on the right medication. But it's not an instant process. It took years for me to even be able to socialize with people again, so have patience.

Comment

I realise this thread is kinda old, but the answers in it helped me immensely, thanks guys

Comment

Working...
                            X