about Depression

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: about Depression

To deal with my depression, I find it helps a lot to know what is likely to trigger it. Granted, it can come on without provocation. But knowing my triggers and staying away from them helps. To do that, I have a select few people who are very close to me who I trust who know what will cause problems with me and they help keep me away from it. For example, seeing gore and stuff in movies can cause panics attacks with me so my best friend screens any likely movies and shows and tells me if I can watch it. If I can't she tells me all about it so I either don't have to watch it or will know what is coming if I decide to watch anyways.
    Another thing I find that helps is crafts. And theres a lot that you can incorporate into your spiritual practices. I make jewelry and chainmaille and needle felting, and plan to learn wood burning. All of these can be used for spiritual prayers or rituals if you want. I've heard from a lot of people that hobbies and crafts are great for battling anxiety and depression. (My friend and I were discussing making needle felt animals with herbs and stuff in them as sort of poppets or something... And I've seen people wood burn little disks with runes on them)

Comment

BAH! This whole ADD/ADHD/bipolar is a scam to make normal people think that something is wrong with themselves. You are bombarded every day with useless commercials, listing hundreds of "symptoms" which could be caused by a thousand different things in the mundane life. All forms of main stream media communication will cause one stress, high blood pressure, ulcers, headaches, migraines, and loss of sleep. They intentionally want you to worry. Children are the most vulnerable as their un-qualified teachers are stuffing them full of drugs and dope that isn't even approved for human consumption, all the while "diagnosing" them with so-called behavioural problems when they are just merely acting like a kid!
      It's not the physical, it is, however, the mental. Crowley wrote "Determine then, to become the Master of your own mind". You have already recognized certain symptoms or ideas that you have which you associate with suffering, etc... but what you haven't discovered yet is how to shut the door on those concepts. It's all about your own mental attitude. Are you a beta male who will passively just take it and whine about it feeling depressed OR are you an Alpha Male, giving yourself a mental kick in the ass to get off the couch and DO something about it? Are you not the Master of your own mind?
      There is no one to forgive you nor help you but yourself. It might help if you imagined a deity talking you through it. Myself, I occasionally use the image of my old boot camp drill instructor screaming obscenities in my face, pushing me until I find the inner strength to make it over or through the challenge. It's all about making the conscious decision not to put up with the symptoms any more.
      This isn't even about depression but rather the lack of Will to succeed and overcome.

Comment

Originally posted by warwulf View Post
        Myself, I occasionally use the image of my old boot camp drill instructor screaming obscenities in my face, pushing me until I find the inner strength to make it over or through the challenge. It's all about making the conscious decision not to put up with the symptoms any more.
        That's a good thing to add to this post - your own way of dealing with things which is what was asked for.

BAH! This whole ADD/ADHD/bipolar is a scam to make normal people think that something is wrong with themselves. You are bombarded every day with useless commercials, listing hundreds of "symptoms" which could be caused by a thousand different things in the mundane life. All forms of main stream media communication will cause one stress, high blood pressure, ulcers, headaches, migraines, and loss of sleep. They intentionally want you to worry. Children are the most vulnerable as their un-qualified teachers are stuffing them full of drugs and dope that isn't even approved for human consumption, all the while "diagnosing" them with so-called behavioural problems when they are just merely acting like a kid! It's not the physical, it is, however, the mental. Crowley wrote "Determine then, to become the Master of your own mind". You have already recognized certain symptoms or ideas that you have which you associate with suffering, etc... but what you haven't discovered yet is how to shut the door on those concepts. It's all about your own mental attitude. Are you a beta male who will passively just take it and whine about it feeling depressed OR are you an Alpha Male, giving yourself a mental kick in the ass to get off the couch and DO something about it? Are you not the Master of your own mind?
        There is no one to forgive you nor help you but yourself. It might help if you imagined a deity talking you through it.
        This isn't even about depression but rather the lack of Will to succeed and overcome
        While you're welcome to your opinions on the existence or lack thereof of mental illnesses, the OP didn't ask for it - not to mention, it's rather insulting to people who suffer from mental illnesses on this forum to be told that all they need to do is "snap out of it". Do what works for you and don't project your theories on others who are suffering.

There's a time and place for this kind of discussion - create a new topic, if you like.

Comment

Warwulf is presenting the social model of illness as opposed to the medical model which does seem to be represented in force here. The medical model is seductive because it offers complete alleviation of responsibility - adherents are no longer culpable for wrong decisions because they are considered to be under the influence of an evil which cannot be mitigated save by solutions commandeered by licensed practitioners. Because the medical model doesn't permit its subjects to own the consequences of their actions, adherents cannot learn how to become experts in the field of their own minds and thereby implement actions and attitudes necessary to assert their position in society - which given their sensitivity - may be quite important.

Comment

This isn't even about depression but rather the lack of Will to succeed and overcome.
            If you would do some research, depression is very very real, as are the others you mentioned. Depression specifically (the one I am qualified to talk about) is caused by your brain not producing enough seratonin, a chemical that helps stabilize moods. Without proper amounts of serotonin, the person reacts to bad things much much worse than they should. Additionally, their mood is rarely stable so they can also get upset over nothing at all. I have been officially diagnosed with depression and have done my own research on it. Some people would not survive without the medication. Please leave this thread if you going to continue to berate the people here.

Comment

Originally posted by AutumnFox View Post
              If you would do some research, depression is very very real, as are the others you mentioned. Depression specifically (the one I am qualified to talk about) is caused by your brain not producing enough seratonin, a chemical that helps stabilize moods. Without proper amounts of serotonin, the person reacts to bad things much much worse than they should. Additionally, their mood is rarely stable so they can also get upset over nothing at all. I have been officially diagnosed with depression and have done my own research on it. Some people would not survive without the medication. Please leave this thread if you going to continue to berate the people here.
              Not needed. Who needs information or experience when you already "know"?

What I've found is that different people feel differently about different things. They also have different struggles, different backgrounds, different futures, different families, and different outlooks. I have met hundreds of thousands of people, from hundreds of different groups and social classes. There's always at least one douchbag.

Comment

BAH! This whole ADD/ADHD/bipolar is a scam to make normal people think that something is wrong with themselves. You are bombarded every day with useless commercials, listing hundreds of "symptoms" which could be caused by a thousand different things in the mundane life. All forms of main stream media communication will cause one stress, high blood pressure, ulcers, headaches, migraines, and loss of sleep. They intentionally want you to worry. Children are the most vulnerable as their un-qualified teachers are stuffing them full of drugs and dope that isn't even approved for human consumption, all the while "diagnosing" them with so-called behavioural problems when they are just merely acting like a kid!
                It's not the physical, it is, however, the mental. Crowley wrote "Determine then, to become the Master of your own mind". You have already recognized certain symptoms or ideas that you have which you associate with suffering, etc... but what you haven't discovered yet is how to shut the door on those concepts. It's all about your own mental attitude. Are you a beta male who will passively just take it and whine about it feeling depressed OR are you an Alpha Male, giving yourself a mental kick in the ass to get off the couch and DO something about it? Are you not the Master of your own mind?
                There is no one to forgive you nor help you but yourself. It might help if you imagined a deity talking you through it. Myself, I occasionally use the image of my old boot camp drill instructor screaming obscenities in my face, pushing me until I find the inner strength to make it over or through the challenge. It's all about making the conscious decision not to put up with the symptoms any more.
                Yes, forcing yourself to get up and do something can be helpful with depression, but the way you put that whole tirade was very ignorant and shows a total lack of understanding surrounding mental illness. Not only did you lump 3 different disorders (ADD, bipolar, depression) into one category, you also ignored the fact that there is a physiological component to depression. For some that component is more severe than others. Personally, I don't find that my depression is so severe that I need medication. I can usually pull myself out of it. But the bottom line is that some people do. That doesn't make them "beta", it just means that they have a more severe form of the illness.
                We can have a debate surrounding whether or not patients are overly medicated, but this is not the place. This person was reaching out for help.

Comment

Some of you people need some fing medication.
                  Satan is my spirit animal

Comment

Originally posted by TheDruid-3X3
                    For the First Thing:

Stop Believing That You Are A Godlike Being!!!

There are plenty of Herbs that can cause you to think you are Great with Nature. They are Sedative and Relieve Stress.

3X3
                    Hello, Ki No Ronin! Fancy meeting you here

What do you mean by "stop believing that you are a Godlike being"???

Comment

Torey;143104].While you're welcome to your opinions on the existence or lack thereof of mental illnesses, the OP didn't ask for it -

I can tell you're going to be a PITA, aren't you? I didn't ask for your petulant and belittleing reply either, but you sure wasted your time telling me about it, didn't you?

not to mention, it's rather insulting to people who suffer from mental illnesses on this forum to be told that all they need to do is "snap out of it". Do what works for you and don't project your theories on others who are suffering.

I meant no insult to anyone with any condition. I merely posted my own personal experiences. If that offends you, then perhaps you should conjure up some thicker skin from your Satanic lord. Until then, if you're not going to say anything nice then just STFU and ignore me.

Comment

Torey;143104].While you're welcome to your opinions on the existence or lack thereof of mental illnesses, the OP didn't ask for it -

I can tell you're going to be a PITA, aren't you? I didn't ask for your petulant and belittleing reply either, but you sure wasted your time telling me about it, didn't you?

not to mention, it's rather insulting to people who suffer from mental illnesses on this forum to be told that all they need to do is "snap out of it". Do what works for you and don't project your theories on others who are suffering.

I meant no insult to anyone with any condition. I merely posted my own personal experiences. If that offends you, then perhaps you should conjure up some thicker skin from your Satanic lord. Until then, if you're not going to say anything nice then just STFU and ignore me.
                        I see I have obviously struck a nerve?

Comment

1) You posted in a public forum. This invites a reply.

2) The response you're quoting is actually more tactful than what you initially posted and vastly more polite than the post I have quoted.

3) Learn diplomacy, don't post or have your posts and eventually your ability to make them removed. The choice is currently still yours. If you don't commit to one of the first two options soon then staff will select the third for you.
                          life itself was a lightsaber in his hands; even in the face of treachery and death and hopes gone cold, he burned like a candle in the darkness. Like a star shining in the black eternity of space.

Yoda: Dark Rendezvous

"But those men who know anything at all about the Light also know that there is a fierceness to its power, like the bare sword of the law, or the white burning of the sun." Suddenly his voice sounded to Will very strong, and very Welsh. "At the very heart, that is. Other things, like humanity, and mercy, and charity, that most good men hold more precious than all else, they do not come first for the Light. Oh, sometimes they are there; often, indeed. But in the very long run the concern of you people is with the absolute good, ahead of all else..."

John Rowlands, The Grey King by Susan Cooper

"You come from the Lord Adam and the Lady Eve", said Aslan. "And that is both honour enough to erect the head of the poorest beggar, and shame enough to bow the shoulders of the greatest emperor on earth; be content."

Aslan, Prince Caspian by CS Lewis

Comment

I would just like to make a friendly reminder for those of you...less fortunate to not have a medical degree yet prattle on about how to cure said medical condition. Depression resides in the chemicals of the brain. Think on that a bit. Try. Really really hard. Then speak. Thanks.
                            Satan is my spirit animal

Comment

Originally posted by midgnostic View Post
                              Warwulf is presenting the social model of illness as opposed to the medical model which does seem to be represented in force here. The medical model is seductive because it offers complete alleviation of responsibility - adherents are no longer culpable for wrong decisions because they are considered to be under the influence of an evil which cannot be mitigated save by solutions commandeered by licensed practitioners. Because the medical model doesn't permit its subjects to own the consequences of their actions, adherents cannot learn how to become experts in the field of their own minds and thereby implement actions and attitudes necessary to assert their position in society - which given their sensitivity - may be quite important.

I wouldn't entirely agree with this statement. I would agree with the previous social model of mental illness and the medical model of mental illness statement, but not that it gives patients who have to cope with psychological challenges a free pass to not take responsibility for themselves. That might be somewhat true in the past, I'm drawing my understanding from my own experiences regarding counseling. While there is the inherent understanding that the emotional fluxes (or whatever is going on psychologically) is not inherently the patient's fault, they have all the power in the world in deciding how to address those challenges (or not), and the understanding that certain behaviors can harm the people around them.

Everyone has a different situation, every type of diagnosis will have different gradients of severity, and different people will have different levels of resiliency and support constructs. I don't think it's fair to lump everyone into the same situation and create blanket statements about how the world perceives the situation.

Comment

Originally posted by midgnostic View Post
                                What in the hell are you talking about? Adherents? Evil? Commandeered?

It sounds to me like you're rationalizing abusive behavior. Forget biology, we've got social climates to neatly separate into various subverted roles for all those we want to claim are inferior.

What Warwulf was, and is, presenting, in that post, is abuse. Nothing less.

"Reason is not automatic. Those who deny it cannot be conquered by it." - Ayn Rand

"Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth." - Marcus Aurelius

"The very ink with which history is written is merely fluid prejudice." - Mark Twain

"The only gossip I'm interested in is things from the Weekly World News - 'Woman's bra bursts, 11 injured'. That kind of thing." - Johnny Depp

Comment

Working...
                                X