This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Java

There once was a time where I thought I could get into software engineering as a career... and then I look at things like this and remember why I never tried....

Me: "How do computers work?"

Friend with a computer engineering MS: "Techygibberishweirdness-rocketscience."

Me: "Faeries, got it."

Comment

We do talk about magic smoke a lot.
      Blog: http://thestarsafire.tumblr.com

Kuchi wa wazawai no moto (the mouth is the origin of disasters)

Comment

Originally posted by Satu View Post
        We do talk about magic smoke a lot.
        never let the magic smoke escape!
        "Don't ever miss a good opportunity to shut up." - Harvey Davis "Gramps"

Comment

Sometimes when I write something in the notebook, or on the computer (exercise), the teacher might sometimes insist to write the same thing in another way. -__-
          It freaks me out sometimes. If it works (and correct!), what's the problem?
          By the way, my exam is a big torture for him. My handwriting is hard to understand.

Oh and I must get some magic pipes!!! :creepy:

- - - Updated - - -

I hope MO won't be angry if I borrow some!! Muahahaha!
          "Fair means that everybody gets what they need. And the only way to get that is to make it happen yourself."

Since I adore cats, I might write something strange or unusual in my comment.Cats are awesome!!! ^_^

Comment

Wow I feel old reading this thread lol!

I studied Java when it was first released in 1995 and was involved in the early beta testing of C# and .net.

We never had a computer in our home until I began my studies and I remember my first year was a result of pure grind plain and simple. I'm no brainiac, and I must have stared at a screen similar to the picture you posted for about 5 hours trying to make sense of it lol! My first assignment of "Hello World".

I feel your pain! If you stick to it like shit to a blanket then it will pay off in the long run. There are not that many good developers out there. The difference between a mediocre coder and a good developer isn't as big as you might think either.

- - - Updated - - -

Originally posted by Gleb View Post
            ... If it works (and correct!), what's the problem?
            There are often multiple ways to implement the same algorithm, but each way is more suited than the others under specific conditions.

For example, Java compilers are relatively primitive, and so even how you implement a simple loop can directly effect the performance of the application. The choice between a for loop and a while loop can make a difference believe it or not.

Being able to demonstrate your command of the language is the first step in applying it appropriately.

Comment

Originally posted by DON View Post

I studied Java when it was first released in 1995 and was involved in the early beta testing of C# and .net.

We never had a computer in our home until I began my studies and I remember my first year was a result of pure grind plain and simple. I'm no brainiac, and I must have stared at a screen similar to the picture you posted for about 5 hours trying to make sense of it lol! My first assignment of "Hello World".
              Hah! My first language at college was Fortran ... and we used punch cards, baby. Oh, yeah. Nobody had a computer at home because it took up a whole room. I survived Cobol and Crystal Reports, blah blah blah. Learning Java in the 90s was sweet! I never enjoyed most of programming, though; it was a necessity and I was good at it. As soon as I didn't have to, I didn't.

"No, no, you're not thinking; you're just being logical." -- Niels Bohr

Comment

Originally posted by DON View Post

I feel your pain! If you stick to it like shit to a blanket then it will pay off in the long run. There are not that many good developers out there. The difference between a mediocre coder and a good developer isn't as big as you might think either.

- - - Updated - - -

There are often multiple ways to implement the same algorithm, but each way is more suited than the others under specific conditions.

For example, Java compilers are relatively primitive, and so even how you implement a simple loop can directly effect the performance of the application. The choice between a for loop and a while loop can make a difference believe it or not.

Being able to demonstrate your command of the language is the first step in applying it appropriately.
                I definitely do stick to Java like it

Yeah the for loop and while loop are really different. My biggest problem right now is objects. We have been learning stacks for the last week. It's not easy - like every new topic, but it's not very hard, to be honest.
                The only difficulty with stacks is to figure out what to do and how.

Thanks
                "Fair means that everybody gets what they need. And the only way to get that is to make it happen yourself."

Since I adore cats, I might write something strange or unusual in my comment.Cats are awesome!!! ^_^

Comment

I remember being in a bookstore and seeing books about Java - my first thought was "Why aren't coffee books in the cookbook section?" I got through college with nothing but a manual typewriter. The good old days.......

My father was an AT&T lifer starting in the mid 1950's. Circa 1965 he told me he was going to be taking a test at work the next day (I was shocked that Daddies took tests!) That test was math/computer aptitude because computer stuff was just starting out. There were no classes- they learned on the job. I remember him bringing home flow chart templates, etc., which progressed to modems and "crazy modern contraptions" as my mother would say. When I was in high school in the 70's I visited him at work and I remember the whole room was full of huge reel-to-reel things, and big lit-up pushbuttons. By the time they split up into Lucent Tech., etc., he was a Sr. Systems Analyst.

I got married in 1981, and my (now) ex used to design pc boards and was building home computers that were all one piece, monitor and keyboard together. I remember playing Space Invaders at home and thinking it was the coolest thing ever. We had a printer that used the paper with holes on the sides and rocked back and forth when it printed.
                  sigpic
                  Can you hear me, Major Tom? I think I love you.

Comment

Recursion is an interesting part of java, tbh. It's a bit hard to understand how it works in the beginning, but through practice as far as I understand, it becomes more and more clear.

Comment

Working...
                    X