This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

the way some people think..

Do you know those days you just want them to be over?
    Today was such a day for me and believe me it ain't pretty what I'm going to tell here.

It's by such events that I really think: "are some people really this shortsighted?"

Before you read this I want you to know that I am a proud wiccan and therefor I also wear wicca "alternative" clothing.. (nothing wrong with that u'd think?)
    after all we live on such a respectable earth..

here's the scenario:
    Today I came to work and just a few hours later my boss called me over to her office.
    She told me some of the people I work with are offended by my clothing and my "star" as they call it (my pentagram, just shows how much they know about religion)
    This person also told that people are afraid of me because I told them once I heal myself with herbs instead of medication..
    some of my collegues had told her I was probably high all the time and that I was I quoute: " a forestjunkie" in their eyes...
    The conversation got worse, cause I defended my religion and in other words: myself, the person who I am, my living soul.
    She got mad, and guess what? she fired me.. (since I only worked there with weekly contracts she didn't even needed a reason to throw me out..)

I felt so dissapoainted, not in myself but in the people I worked with..
    Are people so ignorant that they can't feel what they are provoking?
    I mean I lost my job because of my belief... where is the world going to?

~ Lady Levaenen =C

Re: the way some people think..

I'm sorry hon. People can be ignorant and not accept other religions. I wish everyone would accept our religion, but not everyone does. It's very unfortunate that people can be like that. I'm sorry that you were fired hon. This is why I only talk about my religion to my very best friends, people I know will accept me for who I am.
    Anubisa

Dedicated and devoted to Lord Anubis and Lady Bast. A follower of the path of Egyptian Wicca.

Comment

you're abslutely right! I know now that I can only trust those who I really know... I had to learn it the hard way sadly enough..
      and maybe it's because I didn't want to see this ignorance.. other members warned me for this, but I wanted to see that people aren't like this so much that I coulnd't see the true nature of them I guess :C

Comment

Consider that if anyone objected to someone wearing perhaps a "granny dress" and had a cross around their neck(not uncommon for some religious groups) what would be the outcome. It just seems to me these people are going by their own personal fear of "Different" I am sorry that you had to go through this,I have also had this kind of reaction,and I only wear a Pent ring. People become afraid of what they have no understanding of.

I don't feel you have to hide your beliefs,BUT be aware of how people react. These "beliefs"(theirs) are rooted in negative images by religious society's going back hundreds of years. Sorry you had to go through this.
        MAGIC is MAGIC,black OR white or even blood RED

all i ever wanted was a normal life and love.
        NO TERF EVER WE belong Too.
        don't stop the tears.let them flood your soul.

sigpic

my new page here,let me know what you think.

nothing but the shadow of what was

witchvox
        http://www.witchvox.com/vu/vxposts.html

Comment

It's fairly common for people to be afraid of what they don't understand. And sometimes, they aren't ready to hear your side of the story. In regards to you getting fired; It's unfortunate that you had to experience that. Was there some sort of dress code that you might not have been aware of? Perhaps there's some sort of legal action that you can take if you were wrongfully terminated... But I don't know the employment laws in your area so I don't know if that's even an option. I hope you have better luck at your next job, though.
          �Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted. And experience is often the most valuable thing you have to offer.�
          ― Randy Pausch, The Last Lecture
          Sneak Attack
          Avatar picture by the wonderful and talented TJSGrimm.

Comment

Thank you all for the comments!

juniper: well it doesn't make sense to me, inside the factory where I was employed, we all wore the same uniform, it's only at te lockerroom where they could see my clothing.. and that bothered them.. but I have the right to dress like what I want, don't I? it's not of their business. well the sad thing about that factory is, they only work with weekly contracts (in case if there isn't any work anymore they can fire som people) and they used that reason as a lame excuse to get me out.. my papers simply say: fired due "no productin work available" my father wanted to sew them but it's a factory who provdes millions for our country so there's now way we would have won...

it's a shame these manifestations live on... 'and to think we are the one who evolved"

Comment

Wow... I am so so sorry . I know nothing about how to sue people, but I wish it was more of an option for you...

I really hope you find a job somewhere better.
              hey look, I have a book! And look I have a second one too!

Comment

oh, Lady Levaenen, I am so sorry you had to go through that... you're right, of course, you WOULD think there's nothing wrong with personal expression, but some people just don't like anyone who is different. I think getting fired for expressing your beliefs is illegal though, at least it is in America where I live, but since you were on a contract that allows them to sadly overlook the law (I've worked on contract before too. it's insane how much they can get away with.) Sadly, if you had been wearing a cross I don't think there would have been as much uproar over your expressing your religious freedom, but since it was a pentagram... well... people are stupid, and they will use any excuse for hate that they can come up with.

*sigh*

it's times like these that make me think of that quote from Beauty and the Beast: "we don't like what we don't understand, in fact it scares us." from the Mob Song. their excuse to attack the Beast's palace. there's also the one from Pocahontas: "they're different from us, which means they can't be trusted! we must sound the drums of war!" from Savages.
                Notice how those are both from villain songs.... says something about the people saying those things about you, doesn't it?

You're in the right here, and you have friends who stand with you. Don't worry.

Comment

You might at least look at legal options. There may be something useful. I don't know anything about Belgian law or I'd try to be more helpful.

Regardless, that sucks, hopefully things improve.
                  life itself was a lightsaber in his hands; even in the face of treachery and death and hopes gone cold, he burned like a candle in the darkness. Like a star shining in the black eternity of space.

Yoda: Dark Rendezvous

"But those men who know anything at all about the Light also know that there is a fierceness to its power, like the bare sword of the law, or the white burning of the sun." Suddenly his voice sounded to Will very strong, and very Welsh. "At the very heart, that is. Other things, like humanity, and mercy, and charity, that most good men hold more precious than all else, they do not come first for the Light. Oh, sometimes they are there; often, indeed. But in the very long run the concern of you people is with the absolute good, ahead of all else..."

John Rowlands, The Grey King by Susan Cooper

"You come from the Lord Adam and the Lady Eve", said Aslan. "And that is both honour enough to erect the head of the poorest beggar, and shame enough to bow the shoulders of the greatest emperor on earth; be content."

Aslan, Prince Caspian by CS Lewis

Comment

I am so sorry...
                    Those people are really big scums. They are afraid because they can't explain your belief. There is nothing wrong with wearing something connected to your path.
                    But you should consider that people are not always aware of pagan belief followers and won't always be as open minded as other people are.
                    Just ignore them. A really wise and good person won't discriminate and treat someone differently because of things like religion.
                    "Fair means that everybody gets what they need. And the only way to get that is to make it happen yourself."

Since I adore cats, I might write something strange or unusual in my comment.Cats are awesome!!! ^_^

Comment

Nightengale, you are right those songs have very true words!

Like you guys said: I have to be more carefull about who I tell smt about my beliefs, I really learned my lesson in that.
                      I should be more careful (especially when there are bad concequences for me)

oh well, I have a jobinterview today so I hope this works out!
                      I won't look back to my shadow if the wun's there to warm up my face ^^

Comment

Good luck on the job interview.

If seeking legal action groups like the ACLU work with all people and backgrounds. In the US companies think they have control but they don't as much as people think they do. If a contract company lets you go do to no work than hires someone next day or even next week you can often sue for wrongful termination, especially if the company is the main employer in the area.

If everything you said is acurate filling a law suit is beneficial as your rights were clearly violated. A law suit like this tends to bring two things media attention and the firing of the person who fired you. Companies don't want people who bring this kind of attention to them.

If you go public a good tactic is to explain your beliefs and it never hurts to explain the god goddess dynamic. One could say I follow a god goddess belief whether that be Cernunnos and Cerridwen or Jesus and Mary. By throwing in the Christian names it can subconsciously create support, once they hear Jesus and fired all sorts of things can happen. Even though you may not believe in Jesus it is still possible for him to be part of a god goddess system.

Comment

yeah! you're right! I did search the internat and vacanies from the companie (and some of the rare people who are my friends, keep me updated) there are until this day no new employees.
                          My father is figuring things out (he has his own company so he knows way more about these things than me) I'll keep you guys tuned.

Did anyone ever had a sumiliar situation like this??

Comment

I actually got lucky here. I have a job a pizza hut as a cook (exciting i know >.>). The great thing is that most people that I work with live some sort of "alternative lifestyle". Be it my Homosexual RGM or the young non-religous co-workers, most are very open-minded and supportive. I even had a nice conversation with our one devout christian about the "essence of religion vs practice of religion". Im sorry to hear you had such trouble with those employers, but dont get down. The God and Goddess will always provide you with everything you need to make a living in this world I firmly believe this to be true (as I was once homeless but thats another story). I also dont know what field you are in exactly, but I will push positive energy your way and help where I can
                            Click Meh!!

Comment

Thank you very much Haseo! I appreciate every vibe of positive energy~ ^^
                              Well I graduated as a medical secretary but after working for 5 years in that field, I wanted to do something diffrent and so I came across Alcon (it's an American companie, maybe some of you know this company) they produce eye contacts and fluids for eye surgery etc.

However I went to my jobinterview and it was great, they're gonna introduce me to another company, so thumbs up

Comment

Working...
                              X