This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A Broom and Two Crosses?

Hello! I figured I would repost this here on the forum for a friend, seeing as I'm completely stumped on the symbolism of this event...

"Found this as I was leaving my house. It is a broom across my door and a cross on either side of my stairs. Thoughts?"

Comments on the facebook page range from it being a blessing, to an attack. What are your thoughts? Nobody knows who she is in her neighbourhood.

Re: A Broom and Two Crosses?

I would personally take it as a good thing. Just my initial thoughts of a broom and 2 crosses would be the phrase `good luck`
    Click Meh!!

Comment

...what are those crosses made of? o_O

Also, that is weird as I'll get out.
      hey look, I have a book! And look I have a second one too!

Comment

My first thought is Hoodoo - there is a great deal of lore concerning brooms keeping witches or evil spirits at bay when placed at the doorway. That being said, there are plenty of other beliefs and traditions involving brooms that have nothing to do with evil - and more to do with good (as has already been said).

This symbolism is far too vague to be interpreted with 100% certainty without any context - all this is, is a picture of a doorway with a broom and two homemade crosses. Is there any backstory to this? In what part of the world was this picture taken?

Comment

Originally posted by Malflick View Post
          ...what are those crosses made of? o_O

Also, that is weird as I'll get out.
          She says they seem to be made out of foam.

Originally posted by Torey View Post
          My first thought is Hoodoo - there is a great deal of lore concerning brooms keeping witches or evil spirits at bay when placed at the doorway. That being said, there are plenty of other beliefs and traditions involving brooms that have nothing to do with evil - and more to do with good (as has already been said).

This symbolism is far too vague to be interpreted with 100% certainty without any context - all this is, is a picture of a doorway with a broom and two homemade crosses. Is there any backstory to this? In what part of the world was this picture taken?
          The picture was taken in Saskatchewan, Canada. There is no backstory to really say. Nobody knows of her beliefs. She just went out to work one day and this was in front of her house.

Comment

Those aren't just crosses though. Someone went to some trouble to make the buds on each point which makes it seem more Catholic or Gaelic in form. So your dealing more with a stylized cross than what i'd think of as a simple cross. It almost seems reflective of a form of protection. If the picture is true then the crosses were placed towards the opening of the walkway framing and the broom inside of that. Sort of forming a protected walk way Figure the broom to sweep away danger and bad omens with the crosses being the "Power of Christ" type thing to aid and strengthen it.

Inversely though I could see it as a warning as well. The broom symbolic of some form of warning and the crosses meant to drive it away and let you know someone is watching. The location of the crosses before the broom seems to suggest "Christ" or "Christianity" is outside of the boundary of the home.

Surprised there is no "Written" part to it. If it is a warning or charm you'd think there would be something written on paper or scratched into the cement or door frame. Which could mean your dealing with kids and not adults.
            I'm Only Responsible For What I Say Not For What Or How You Understand!

Comment

I keep coming back to this, and my first impression, before and after reading the comments always seems to be the same. And I'm inclined to agree with monsno on this one. That's about what it seems to be to me, as well.

Comment

Working...
              X