Weight Watchers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Weight Watchers

Yup so I figured I would post my weight watchers journey here on PF.

For those who may not know weight watchers is like a support group for losing weight. Every food is worth a certain amount of points, and every person has an individualized number of points they can eat. You weigh in every week and attend a meeting. Through out the course of losing weight you start to add different goals, more veggies, more fruit, more water, more exercise etc.

So here is me (on the right):

I am 5ft 4in, I weigh 292 lbs, my BMI is 50.

Please share your weight loss journey here too!
    sigpic

Re: Weight Watchers

I've never done it, but I have lots of friends who have and they totally swear by it. I think that the points system is just a LOT easier than counting calories!

Good luck!

Comment

I've never done Weight Watchers or any gimmick or fad diet thing. All I did was cut down heavily on sat. fats, trans fats, and sugar, eat real food - fruit, veggies, whole grains, minimal meat and dairy - and exercise. In 1.5 years I went down from 250 pounds to 150.
      Children love and want to be loved and they very much prefer the joy of accomplishment to the triumph of hateful failure. Do not mistake a child for his symptom.
      -Erik Erikson

Comment

[quote author=Clive link=topic=922.msg16544#msg16544 date=1290543229]
        I've never done Weight Watchers or any gimmick or fad diet thing. All I did was cut down heavily on sat. fats, trans fats, and sugar, eat real food - fruit, veggies, whole grains, minimal meat and dairy - and exercise. In 1.5 years I went down from 250 pounds to 150.
        [/quote]

I do all those things, and never lose weight. Then again, I'm only 160. Actually, it's virtually impossible for me to lose more than 5 pounds, and then I gain them back all the time.

Mostly art.

Comment

I do Weight Watchers, too! I've been a member since June 2009. I started at 220 pounds, and am now down to 161.2 (every .1 pound counts!!)

I love it. It really works for me. I'm a bit anxious about it now, because the entire program is scheduled to change (in USA anyway) on the 28th.

I set a personal goal to lose 50 pounds in 2010, and so far I've lost 45.8 (yes, it took me making that resolution to start taking my diet seriously).

If someone could please tell me how to post pictures on here, I will post some before/progress pictures.

Comment

Weight Watchers has been around for a long time, and is in no way gimmicky! It's just eating less and moving more, but with a support group.

Comment

I follow the old weightwatchers plan now and again using my own books, purchased from ebay, and it really works for me. A friend have mine has started on the new plan and is struggling to eat enough to get all her points in, but she is losing about 2lbs a week.
              http://thefeministpagan.blogspot.co.uk/

Comment

Hopefully I posted this picture right... Anyway, this is me at 220+ and at 168.2 (I'm lost 6 pounds since here)

Comment

[quote author=newgirl24 link=topic=922.msg16548#msg16548 date=1290543560]
                  Weight Watchers has been around for a long time, and is in no way gimmicky! It's just eating less and moving more, but with a support group.
                  [/quote]

Sorry, I wasn't calling Weight Watchers a gimmick. God knows it's been around long enough. I just meant that I didn't use any group or any of that sort of thing.
                  Children love and want to be loved and they very much prefer the joy of accomplishment to the triumph of hateful failure. Do not mistake a child for his symptom.
                  -Erik Erikson

Comment

;D okay!

Comment

I did weight watchers a few years ago and lost 70lbs. I have since put 30lbs back on when my dad died so once I move and get settled into my new place I plan on joining WW again

Comment

[quote author=newgirl24 link=topic=922.msg16551#msg16551 date=1290543999]
                        Hopefully I posted this picture right... Anyway, this is me at 220+ and at 168.2 (I'm lost 6 pounds since here)
                        [/quote]

You look wonderful! Congrats!

I did weight watchers once before. I lost 20 lbs in 4 months. But then I mover away to go to college and couldn't afford a lot of things. Now that I have been out of school for 18 months there is no excuse!
                        sigpic

Comment

[quote author=Clive link=topic=922.msg16544#msg16544 date=1290543229]
                          [/quote]

Weight watchers isn't really a "fad" diet though. Basically it breaks things down into a point system so that people who have a bit more trouble keeping track of what they eat can do it easier. The focus is still on a healthy, balanced diet and they encourage exercise.

And on exercise: while it's important and does help you lose weight, it's not as important as diet. When I was eating a ton of cheese and oil, I was working out an hour a day and I didn't lose any weight until I cut back my calories. To put it in perspective, you have to do 2 hours straight of medium speed biking to work off one Big Mac alone. Exercise for the toning and the boost to your metabolism and for your heart, eat for the weight loss.

And while my oil and cheese thing sounds like I was eating unhealthy, I wasn't. I just used olive oil fairly liberally in cooking (just because it's olive oil doesn't mean you can use tons of it!) and didn't know exactly how small a serving of cheese was (it's like, a slice). I also habitually ate high calorie foods like cheese because I used to have a VERY low appetite and if I didn't I'd struggle to take in 1000 calories a day, but I switched to a different bc pill in Feb last year and it made me super hungry.

Comment

[quote author=DanieMarie link=topic=922.msg16732#msg16732 date=1290595922]
                            And on exercise: while it's important and does help you lose weight, it's not as important as diet. When I was eating a ton of cheese and oil, I was working out an hour a day and I didn't lose any weight until I cut back my calories. To put it in perspective, you have to do 2 hours straight of medium speed biking to work off one Big Mac alone. Exercise for the toning and the boost to your metabolism and for your heart, eat for the weight loss.
                            [/quote]

NOVA did this marathon challenge, and if you watch it, the only person that lost weight was the person that also cut calories...and that was from a group of average people, a good number of which were overweight, training for a marathon

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/nova/marathon/ ( I think this is only viewable if you are in the US)
                            Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
                            sigpic

Comment

In April of 2009, I sold my Dodge Ram, and committed myself to commuting by bicycle.
                              At the time I weighed 260lbs.

In October of 2010, I broke down and bought a Ford Escape.
                              Yesterday, I weighed 200lbs. (I'm 6'1&quot

I've never used Weight Watchers, although I've heard very good things about it.
                              But, I can say from experience:
                              A bicycle will work wonders.
                              "Don't ever miss a good opportunity to shut up." - Harvey Davis "Gramps"

Comment

Working...
                              X