X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What is a Wiccanate?

I have no idea.

I literally just came across the term, and a Google search has proved no answer. It seems to be a more recently coined term having to do with Wicca, but besides that I do not know what it is. Mostly I'm finding blog posts on how 'insensitive' and 'offensive' it is...

Can someone please explain what a Wiccanate is, where the word comes from, etc?

Re: What is a Wiccanate?

My understanding is that it's a relatively new trend.

I have met all sorts of Wiccans and have even read a book with the word "Witta" in the title. What I've never come across is anyone describing themselves as "Wiccanate."

In other words, it's a newly-coined term that is meant to replace the term "Neo-Wiccan" - i.e., those "Wiccans" who do not follow a pre-established tradition.

Comment

well Wiccanate is a newly coined term . it is an umbrella term that describes a host of pagan traditions that have certain rituals in common like using tools like a wand,athame, chalice.as well as similar rituals as quarter casting,casting circles. so this will include BTW wiccans,Dianic and Feri as well (although the last group does not consider themselves Wiccan.) as well as people who are using non-traditional Wiccan practices found in books. and there was debate about including Feri into this term as they do not cast circles. they cast spheres. and then you have some Wiccans who also cast spheres instead of circles. Even using it in this sense it can be problematic. but it was used to differentiate between groups/people who use these practices in Paganism and those who do not use these practices.

then of course as you heard it was often misunderstood as being negative or someone not from an initiatory tradition.
      Do Not Meddle In The Affairs Of Dragons, For You Are Crunchy And Good With Kethup.

Comment

Apparently its the new term for what I used to call "Wiccan-esque"--things that are Wiccan (descriptor) without being Wicca (religion)
        Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
        sigpic

Comment

I saw this term on Panthos and I was even confused. I'm still confused, which isn't pretty.

Comment

So it's just another case of using cutesy words where they aren't needed, and therefore further reducing understanding among adherents. Awesome.

All anyone needs to know is that there is British Traditional Wicca - Gardnerian and Alexandrian Traditions, for example, the ones which claim direct lineage to Wicca's genesis; and Neo-Wicca, looser traditions and paths which derive from Wicca but which became so diluted that they're closer to Eclectic Paganism. Not that there's anything wrong with that...I fall into the latter category myself.
            Children love and want to be loved and they very much prefer the joy of accomplishment to the triumph of hateful failure. Do not mistake a child for his symptom.
            -Erik Erikson

Comment

I myself kinda think "Fluffy Bunny" is very cute,hell you can call me a fluffy bunny anytime,AND look Easter is just around the corner. To bad I am not a "Furby" I would probably like it even more if I was.
              MAGIC is MAGIC,black OR white or even blood RED

all i ever wanted was a normal life and love.
              NO TERF EVER WE belong Too.
              don't stop the tears.let them flood your soul.

sigpic

my new page here,let me know what you think.

nothing but the shadow of what was

witchvox
              http://www.witchvox.com/vu/vxposts.html

Comment

Working...
              X