This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Whatcha thinking about now?

Just woke to the news there's been another attack on Muslims and this time in my city. I'm lost for words.
    夕方に急なにわか雨は「夕立」と呼ばれるなら、なぜ朝ににわか雨は「朝立ち」と呼ばれないの? ^^If a sudden rain shower in the evening is referred to as an 'evening stand', then why isn't a shower in the morning called 'morning stand'?

Comment

NJ had a tornado or 2 yesterday, and a humpback whale in the Raritan Bay. Rather unusual, all.
      sigpic
      Can you hear me, Major Tom? I think I love you.

Comment

I hate the heat. It is hot as heck down here. I'll just suck it up for now. Could be worse.
        Anubisa

Dedicated and devoted to Lord Anubis and Lady Bast. A follower of the path of Egyptian Wicca.

Comment

Originally posted by Jembru View Post
          Just woke to the news there's been another attack on Muslims and this time in my city. I'm lost for words.
          From what I understand it wasn't an attack but an accident, read earlier that it was a woman leaving the eid celebrations who lost control of her car and hit a group of people. At least if it's the same episode we're thinking of. Still sad.
          You remind me of the babe
          What babe?
          The babe with the power
          What power?
          The Power of voodoo
          Who do?
          You do!
          Do what?
          Remind me of the babe!

Army of Darkness: Guardians of the Chat

Comment

Yes, from what I can tell it was not terrorism. A terrible accident. I hope things work out as well as possible.

Comment

Can someone post a link? All I could find was a report from last week about a guy intentionally driving his van into a crowd celebrating Ramadan

Comment

It does look like it wasn't intentional. I think there'd have been more injured if it had been a deliberate attack. A friend of mine lives just a few streets over from where it happened and it was his post on Facebook that I learnt about it from. He posted before it was reported in the news, and everyone was assuming another terrorist attack at the time.

I wouldn't know though, because since arriving at work the news hasn't mentioned the incident at all. I guess because it didn't happen in London so who cares, right?

- - - Updated - - -

Originally posted by Chessa View Post
                Can someone post a link? All I could find was a report from last week about a guy intentionally driving his van into a crowd celebrating Ramadan
                SIX people, including three children, have been taken to hospital after a car crashed into Muslim worshippers gathering to celebrate Eid in Newcastle.
                夕方に急なにわか雨は「夕立」と呼ばれるなら、なぜ朝ににわか雨は「朝立ち」と呼ばれないの? ^^If a sudden rain shower in the evening is referred to as an 'evening stand', then why isn't a shower in the morning called 'morning stand'?

Comment

One of my former students was stabbed to death by his father, who then committed suicide by burning down the house. When the wife/mother found out, she had aheart attack.

It looks like the father was under investigation for "accosting a minor for immoral purposes" whilr driving a bus for the school system.

Generally, we don't get much violent crime around here - drug dealing (heroin is big), alcohol-related stupidness, that kind of thing. This was pretty disturbing. The student was a real nice guy, and I had had interactions with the father, who also seemed to be OK.
                  Last edited by B. de Corbin; 27 Jun 2017, 08:30.
                  Every moment of a life is a horrible tragedy, a slapstick comedy, dark nihilism, golden illumination, or nothing at all; depending on how we write the story we tell ourselves.

Comment

Oh, I'm sorry to hear about your student. That kind of thing is so shocking. I think the deal with these kinds of things is that they happen everywhere, but we don't hear about them as much as other crime. Or maybe it is easy to forget or not notice if you don't know the people involved. Something similar happened with a family friend of ours. Everyone loved him for years, and then he killed his wife and committed suicide. No one really knows why, but we weren't living in the house with them, so no one really knew how things were when they were alone. Apparently, there was a pattern of abuse. It took a long time before it stopped haunting me every single day. Sixteen years later, I don't think about it every day, but when I do it is still very upsetting. My hands are shaking a little typing this. And to be honest, I wasn't super close to him, he just had childhood significance as my parent's friend. I had seen him once or twice since I was an adult. He means certain things to me about choosing joy, and appreciating art. Before this happened, I used to use his house and yard as my happy place when visualizing. It was really beautiful, kind of the perfect small/tiny house in a lovely setting with a stream. He rebuilt it himself, with great care and talent.

Comment

Originally posted by B. de Corbin View Post
                      One of my former students was stabbed to death by his father, who then committed suicide by burning down the house. When the wife/mother found out, she had aheart attack.

It looks like the father was under investigation for "accosting a minor for immoral purposes" whilr driving a bus for the school system.

Generally, we don't get much violent crime around here - drug dealing (heroin is big), alcohol-related stupidness, that kind of thing. This was pretty disturbing. The student was a real nice guy, and I had had interactions with the father, who also seemed to be OK.
                      Wow, I don't even know what to say. Poor mother, I can't even imagine what she's going through. I really hope she finds people to support her and be with her during this time.
                      [4:82]

Comment

I just submitted an application, resume and cover letter to my previous employer. Time to go cry in a corner while eating a tub of cookie dough ice cream.
                        �Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted. And experience is often the most valuable thing you have to offer.�
                        ― Randy Pausch, The Last Lecture
                        Sneak Attack
                        Avatar picture by the wonderful and talented TJSGrimm.

Comment

Originally posted by B. de Corbin View Post

Oh my god! That's really crazy! :O

Comment

Originally posted by Juniper View Post
                            I just submitted an application, resume and cover letter to my previous employer. Time to go cry in a corner while eating a tub of cookie dough ice cream.
                            Aww. I'm sorry if it is an unhappy place to work. But major kudos for taking the action to change your life. Even if it didn't work out as you may have planned, you made the effort and I bet you learned quite a bit. Going back doesn't mean forever. It is just a means of financial support until you can move on with what you need to do in the future. Next time you leave, you will have that much more knowledge and skill to accomplish what you want.

And also, I hear ya. Sometimes you just feel bad, because things are kind of sucky. I hope they get better.
                            Last edited by Prickly Pear; 28 Jun 2017, 07:26.

Comment

I got tired of waking up to cigarette smoke in my work crew house, so I complained to my boss, and now none of my co-workers will speak to me, so instead of going home and eating and being responsible, I closed out a bar, and now I'm drunk.

I hate almost everything right now.

Mostly art.

Comment

Wondering what the heck my kid is doing in the garage. He has a project. I think he's just messing around with the tools.

Edited to note that he is old enough and educated enough to do so.
                                Last edited by Prickly Pear; 29 Jun 2017, 12:22.

Comment

Working...
                                X