This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Whatcha thinking about now?

I hope everybody enjoys the eclipse today whether it be a spiritual event, or just something cool to gaze at (with proper protection of course) So enjoy!

Comment

In the BLM or other movements,we should remember human nature really means that for most people the only life that matters is their very own life. There are people who place value on others lives,but many seem only truly concerned with their own personal safety,and when push comes to shove,they would leave you behind if it meant they could then escape. Not always true,and in the military,acting this way is a mortal sin.(Cowardice in battle) I imagine many people have a moral dilemma on this very topic.
      MAGIC is MAGIC,black OR white or even blood RED

all i ever wanted was a normal life and love.
      NO TERF EVER WE belong Too.
      don't stop the tears.let them flood your soul.

sigpic

my new page here,let me know what you think.

nothing but the shadow of what was

witchvox
      http://www.witchvox.com/vu/vxposts.html

Comment

Originally posted by anubisa View Post
        There is going to be a 'Black Lives Matter' Rally tomorrow in Charleston. I'm not against it, it's just that I get sick of people focusing on a race and saying that only it matters. All lives matter, not just one set of lives. We're separating instead of bringing people together. That's my opinion though.
        All lives matter is the statue quo line, and its a lie. All lives DON'T matter. If they did, there would be no need for BLM. Which is the point... If you say that all lives matter you aren't acknowledging the reality that they don't when you examine the actual facts on the subject. "All lives matter" is really just code for the fact that the lives of people of color have not mattered throughout the history of this coutry. The phrase #BlackLivesMatter matters because the status quo--that "all lives (should) matter" means, in reality, that black lives, right now, right this minute, don't.

#BlackLivesMatter because they've been living in a world where "all lives matter" for decades and the reality of "all lives matter" is that black men have a higher chance of being shot by police. Black lives matter because black people are more likely to be arrested for dealing drugs even though white people are more likely to be dealing them AND even though they use drugs at the same rate, white people are less likely to get arrested or go to jail. Black lives matter because NYC's stop and frisk is targets minorities (and the idea that it "is working" is highly debatable when crime is declining anyhow). Black lives matter because black defendants are offered plea deals with prison sentences more often than whites, because they have cases dismissed more often than whites (due to lack of evidence), because they are less likely to receive reduced charges and more likely to be jailed before trial (because bail is generally higher for black defendants than white defendants accused of the same crime--one more example of how a jacked up system all-together is more so if you aren't white). Black lives matter because white people are less likely to receive the death penalty. Black lives matter because we have a "justice system" where black lawyers are extremely underrepresented as elected prosecutors, black potential jurors routinely get dismissed, and because when a black judge who knows how the system works dares to fix it in his courtroom, the white commentary gets stupid.

And pointing out the egregious flaws and abuses in our judicial system and in law enforcement is NOT saying the "blue lives" or other lives don't matter. Playing one off the other is a false dichotomy. It also creates a weaker and more distrusted policing system that is more prone to the escalation of violence in a dangerous feedback loop of fear and misunderstanding. And no, pointing out that there are very real problems in how police are selected, trained, utilized, in the methods they use, among other problems, does not mean that there aren't good cops or that one is "anti-cop".

Black lives matter because when black children go to the emergency room with the same level of reported pain for the same condition get prescribed pain medication less than white children, because women and blacks (and especially black women) are less likely to offered cardiac catheterization, because black patients receive worse care than their white counterparts in general (because racial bias makes us ignore pain), and because black patients are less likely to receive parity in preventive care.

Black lives matter because people (not just cops) are more likely to shoot quicker at a black person "target" than a white one. Black lives matter because when there's a riot, the very worst offending white people get a pass from the media, from the police, and from the public as being "revelers" while black people (including the peaceful majority) get painted as "thugs". Black lives matter because when a black person gets the idea to run for office in a chance to address these issues, and others, its harder for black people to get campaign funding to run for office.

Black lives matter because white people have less black friends than black people have white friends but somehow think that one black friend means they aren't racist or that they are an expert on blackness. And the fact that white people have fewer black friends matters because when white people are taken out of their homogenous white neighborhoods and upbringing, white people are more likely to appreciate diversity when choosing a place to live...which essentially ,means we aren't such assholes, even though it shouldn't be black people's responsibility to have to teach us that we shouldn't be racist.

Blak lives matter because black people get screwed more when buying a car, screwed when they are prospective black home buyers buying a home (home ownership being a major component of the racial wealth gap). And as a result of all this getting jacked over by banks and sales people, black families are less likely to move up the socioeconomic ladder than their parents in comparison to white families.

Black lives matter because our society values my daughter's life more than that of her "very first bestie ever"...and if you don't believe it, then think about the names of missing children that you know from the media. How many of them are black?

Black lives matter because my husband's coworkers were pulled over for driving while black after getting off of a 14-hour overtime shift (on a trip for Uncle Sam) through a nice (white) neighborhood (which happened to be where their hotel was) and the cops were assholes til the white guy in the back seat asked for their badge numbers...that's jacked up. Black lives matter because a friend's son got pulled over three times in his hour commute in as many weeks for being black and owning a new truck.

Black lives matter because my son gets an IEP with specific behavior modifications and goals for his ADHD and OCD but if he were black, he'd probably just as likely get suspended or expelled---even in preschool. Black lives matter because race plays a huge role in how teachers judge misbehavior in the classroom. Black lives matter because and black children have less access to advanced coursework being offered in their schools. Black lives matter because more families are turning to homeschooling as a way to avoid the institutional racism of the education system--a system that sets black children up by cutting them out of the system and sending them into the injustice system as adults in far greater numbers than white children.

Black lives matter because maybe some of the problems that their children face in school are a result of economic disadvantage in addition to racial bias. And guess what--that economic disadvantage is also racial. Black parents are less likely to work standard hours, which affect their children and their children's education. And maybe they have to work the shitty job because 'white' names are more likely to get an interview for identical qualifications over a 'black' name (politicians are similarly less likely to respond to constituents with "black" names), white men with a record are more likely to be offered a job than black men without one, and once they have a job black employees receive harder scrutiny than white employees.

Racism may be often unconscious on an individual level, but that doesn't mean there is less of it, just that it is less obvious. And when racism is perpetrated on an institutional level, it is a serious miscarriage of the justice we claim, as Americans, to believe in. Black lives matter because generations of slavery and discrimination have created an economic underclass that is disproportionally composed of minorities and has burdened them with conditions that would be difficult enough to get out of if it were just a matter of poverty. Black lives matter because its easier for white people to be upwardly mobile. This country's default is white (and male) entitlement. If we can't examine their own bias and work to change it, then we are part of the makers of that travesty. The monster in the abyss is not wearing white sheets and burning crosses, the monster in the abyss is the racism that wears a suit and a smile, shaking hands with their one black friend at the dinner party on Friday but throws away the resume of a prospective employee with a "black name" Monday morning or fails to prescribe the same amount of pain medication that they'd give to a white patient presenting with the same symptoms.
        Last edited by thalassa; 21 Aug 2017, 05:13.
        Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
        sigpic

Comment

Anuitu- Yep. Bifocal.Trifocal. Whatever. I am wearing them almost exclusively. Still find myself lifting them up to see things better, which makes no sense, because that leaves me fairly blindish. Maybe I'm thinking they are sunglasses.

All lives matter is disingenuous. Of course all lives should matter. But the reality is that all lives matter (kinda,not really), but some lives matter more than others. Shouting all lives matter intentionally ignores the inequity. Also, if all lives matter, then Black lives still matter. Would you be offended by someone who said children's lives matter? Women's lives matter? Disabled people's lives matter? The truth is that one of the most painful lessons I have learned in life, is how cheap human life is in this world. I am sorry to say that it is even cheaper if the human is poor, or brown skinned, or disabled, or female, or challenges traditional gender roles and assumptions.

I imagine it is hard to believe everything isn't about race when you have to plan most details of your life around it.
          Last edited by Prickly Pear; 21 Aug 2017, 07:19.

Comment

Originally posted by Medusa View Post

- - - Updated - - -

I just caught this and wanted to add. Put the Hooch down. You are embarrassing yourself. Start acting like a man and quit being a petulant expletive removed.
            When I quit caring enough to not be angry every moment angry every day Ill let you know. At least I am actually expletive removed politically active in real life. Stuff that I dedicate almost all of my free time to. So you can imply I'm some raging alcoholic on an internet forum and you'll be be about 46% correct but in terms of manning up I am actually out here active on this expletive removed. And I'm just a cog in a greater machine but this is what I do. I got no chill left after Charlottsville.
            Last edited by Juniper; 21 Aug 2017, 11:25. Reason: edited by staff

Comment

I'm active too, about a lot of the same issues I was active about as a teenager, unfortunately. I attend town halls & meetings where we formulate strategies to properly communicate with Congress, etc., from a local level, sign petitions, and stay informed. We have a meeting with a local Rep. this week.
              sigpic
              Can you hear me, Major Tom? I think I love you.

Comment

Originally posted by callmeclemens View Post
                I hope everybody enjoys the eclipse today whether it be a spiritual event, or just something cool to gaze at (with proper protection of course) So enjoy!
                I did. From my front porch.

Separate note and not directed at callmeclemens (just clarifying because of the quote above):
                Editing cussing out of posts is annoying to me. Our general rule of thumb is PG-13 on the main boards. If you can't abide by such a simple request, the staff will issue infractions.
                �Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted. And experience is often the most valuable thing you have to offer.�
                ― Randy Pausch, The Last Lecture
                Sneak Attack
                Avatar picture by the wonderful and talented TJSGrimm.

Comment

Originally posted by Juniper View Post
                  I did. From my front porch.
                  I was at a meeting with a bunch of teachers - we all ran out with a welding mask and milled about for twenty minutes.

Nobody likes to take time out like a bunch of teachers.
                  Every moment of a life is a horrible tragedy, a slapstick comedy, dark nihilism, golden illumination, or nothing at all; depending on how we write the story we tell ourselves.

Comment

Originally posted by B. de Corbin View Post
                    I was at a meeting with a bunch of teachers - we all ran out with a welding mask and milled about for twenty minutes.

Nobody likes to take time out like a bunch of teachers.
                    Our schools superintendent sent a message out to all parents that all outdoor activities during the eclipse were cancelled due to the inherent dangers. I just about swore up a blue streak. Get the kids cheap glasses and use the learning experience. Ugh.
                    We are what we are. Nothing more, nothing less. There is good and evil among every kind of people. It's the evil among us who rule now. -Anne Bishop, Daughter of the Blood

I wondered if he could ever understand that it was a blessing, not a sin, to be graced with more than one love.
                    It could be complicated; of course it could be complicated. And it opened one up to the possibility of more pain and loss.
                    Still, it was a blessing I would never relinquish. Love, genuine love, was always a cause for joy.
                    -Jacqueline Carey, Naamah's Curse

Service to your fellows is the root of peace.

Comment

It was really cool here! I especially loved the weird shadows. We were at 96%, so it didn't get dark like in totality. I think I'm in the path of totality for the 2024 one....I'll be 67 LOL Long time to wait. Due to my involvement in horseracing, I'm accustomed to lots of waiting & preparation for something that's over in a few minutes.
                      sigpic
                      Can you hear me, Major Tom? I think I love you.

Comment

Out my way the clouds stole the shows moments before the peak, oh well.

And since we're on to other noting I just want to add this: Let's try to be productive in conversations here whether we agree or disagree?

Comment

Our president, setting - as usual - a good example during the eclipse today.
                          Every moment of a life is a horrible tragedy, a slapstick comedy, dark nihilism, golden illumination, or nothing at all; depending on how we write the story we tell ourselves.

Comment

Was only a partial eclipse here but I had a ritual planned for the moment the moon turned to new and it happened around the same time so was a nice added dimension to my ritual. I was meant to do it on my birthday but I had a bit of a breakdown that day so wasn't in the right state of mind to be entering spirit worlds. The new moon in Leo (my sun sign) seemed like the next best time to do it. The eclipse was just an added bonus. Glad I waited. It was perfect!
                            夕方に急なにわか雨は「夕立」と呼ばれるなら、なぜ朝ににわか雨は「朝立ち」と呼ばれないの? ^^If a sudden rain shower in the evening is referred to as an 'evening stand', then why isn't a shower in the morning called 'morning stand'?

Comment

Going to get my first set of Botox treatments tomorrow. Hopefully this will help with my headaches and migraines. Fingers crossed.
                              Anubisa

Dedicated and devoted to Lord Anubis and Lady Bast. A follower of the path of Egyptian Wicca.

Comment

Originally posted by anubisa View Post
                                Going to get my first set of Botox treatments tomorrow. Hopefully this will help with my headaches and migraines. Fingers crossed.
                                Best wishes!

Comment

Working...
                                X