This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: What Are You Thinking About?

Damn B.De.,I myself never earned any where near enough to be that deep in taxes. Never owned a house,raised two kids on a month to month basis,and this with myself and my ex both working full time.

Well the only good thing is I made it to retirement without shooting anyone at work,and remaining at least a tiny bit sane.
    Actually,as to the sanity,some people might differ as to my being sane....
    MAGIC is MAGIC,black OR white or even blood RED

all i ever wanted was a normal life and love.
    NO TERF EVER WE belong Too.
    don't stop the tears.let them flood your soul.

sigpic

my new page here,let me know what you think.

nothing but the shadow of what was

witchvox
    http://www.witchvox.com/vu/vxposts.html

Comment

Originally posted by anunitu View Post
      Damn B.De.,I myself never earned any where near enough to be that deep in taxes.
      Yeah - that's the point. I don't earn enough either. It's the end result of trying very hard to succeed, and failing horribly.

I would be in better economic shape (to say nothing of physical shape and mental shape) today if I had gone on welfare instead of working.

Oh, and the whole idea of "retirement" is out for me - my pension is shit, and my retirement accounts are gone.
      Every moment of a life is a horrible tragedy, a slapstick comedy, dark nihilism, golden illumination, or nothing at all; depending on how we write the story we tell ourselves.

Comment

Well you get SS,that what I get,and $1000 a month to live on...Only thing that would make things better is a BIG Lottery win,but maybe not that ether.

sigpic

witchvox

Comment

Originally posted by B. de Corbin View Post
          I'm not sure. I think there are instructions for making meth somewhere on the internet, though.

Oh wait. You mean the $12,000...

Well, here are the instructions for anybody who wants to end up where I am.

Fall into the perfect storm of hard luck. Begin when you are young, or you can't get there as easily.

Graduate from college during a very bad recession. Get a low paying job. Work for about 15 years, 10-16 hours per day, 6-7 days a week.

While doing that, go to night school, so you can get a better degree, and a better job.

Graduate, get the job. Buy a house.

Have a long series of disasters which cause you to take out a home equity loan so you can keep the house.

Have the home equity fall due when the economy collapses, so that you can't refinance the house to pay off the loan, because after paying on the house for 15 years, it is now worth less than you owe on it.

Continue to have unavoidable and costly disasters.

Suddenly discover that the job you worked so hard to get has made you the political scapegoat of "the powers that be," who cut your pension, while also requiring you to pay more into it for the less you will be getting.

Have the "powers that be," who have now declared you to be evil incarnate because you'd like to see kids get a decent education, force pay cuts on you year after year after year.

Gut your retirement account to pay off the home equity loan.

Figure out the penalty for gutting your retirement account.

End result?

You owe the IRS $12,000.

This all isn't nearly as easy as it seems - it requires a lot of luck, and all of it needs to be bad.
          Maybe it's because I'm not American, and the system is different for you guys, but I don't get it. Even on a year where I don't work very much, have to go on unemployment, etc....I still get BACK $1000. Last year was terrible for work for me, and I still got back $2.5k. And my mom, who hasn't had a job in over a year and gets all her money from the government in various ways? She owed $95.

I just don't understand how you can owe on your taxes, unless you don't work, or don't pay your mortgage or something.

Mostly art.

Comment

Originally posted by volcaniclastic View Post
            I just don't understand how you can owe on your taxes, unless you don't work, or don't pay your mortgage or something.
            It's because I had to cash in my retirement account.

The money that goes into that account isn't taxed until I take it out. I took out enough money to almost double my income for the year. So I had to pay taxes on it that I hadn't already paid (I had paid the taxes on my regular income already. Normally I get a few hundred back). In addition, there are penalties for taking the money out of the retirement account before I retired.
            Every moment of a life is a horrible tragedy, a slapstick comedy, dark nihilism, golden illumination, or nothing at all; depending on how we write the story we tell ourselves.

Comment

My hubby cashed out his retirement account a few years ago.... We're still paying for that miscalculation, I totally feel for you on this Corbin, I think we may have it payed off now, but the irs will bug the piss outta you till you pay it, but you don't have to pay it all at once. It's shitty, but I hope you come through this ok, it really sucks to be in deeper than you thought you could be.
              http://catcrowsnow.blogspot.com/

But they were doughnuts of darkness. Evil damned doughnuts, tainted by the spawn of darkness.... Which could obviously only be redeemed by passing through the fiery inferno of my digestive tract.
              ~Jim Butcher

Comment

The evil side of money rears its head, its name is greed, and this particular monster lives in government. I understand, now, the unbelievable debt to the IRS. They let you have free, untaxed income if you lock it away in one of various retirement accounts. Touch those funds and pay not only the taxes due on them earnings but penalties due for using your money.

It's a lose-lose more situation, hardship is. When we start to sink, our individual ships of disaster, along comes the government to take a chunk out of any possible self rescue. "Sink. Sink, damn you!" Like, their preferred plan of survival is bankruptcy and government aid - neither of which are open or available to just anyone.

I've been trying for nearly 12 years to locate *some* kind of income, be it employment, welfare, Social Security, *something*, anything, and have failed at every step of the way. I just received my last denial, in fact, from the Social Security Administration. I failed to get disability, going all the way to a judge. Now, I failed to get SSI and the next step, with this appeal, is another judge.

Is it any wonder that my wife divorced me? I lost my home, lost my job, lost my wife and have come deathly close to losing my life. All because of money, the lack of it. The lack of being ABLE to earn it. The lack of fitting into the very precise mold that is required, in order to get assistance, welfare or Social Security.

But as soon as some of my belongings get sold, so that I can buy something, like clothes... gas for our truck, even, I have to report that sale as income, which is taxable, and if I sell too much stuff - to break past the "standard deduction", I have to pay the feds, the state, whoever, to ensure that my abject poverty remains in the "beggar" level.

Oh, fuck yeah. Now, it makes perfect sense, B. $12,000 is far too much money for you, you must give all of it to the government - what? Don't have 12k? That's alright, they'll bill you.

I know this is the wrong thread for such a tirade. But jumping fucking holy shit balls! This is class struggle, nay, class warfare, extending the gap between the Haves and the Have-nots.

22 years of gainful employment got me nothing.
                Having a financial emergency, where you have to cash in you retirement fund, life insurance, or whatnot, only makes the financial emergency directed at a new sink hole.

Please excuse my french, here.

FUCK!

"Reason is not automatic. Those who deny it cannot be conquered by it." - Ayn Rand

"Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth." - Marcus Aurelius

"The very ink with which history is written is merely fluid prejudice." - Mark Twain

"The only gossip I'm interested in is things from the Weekly World News - 'Woman's bra bursts, 11 injured'. That kind of thing." - Johnny Depp

Comment

My problems are not exactly comparable to being in debt, and anyone who is has my sincerest condolences.

I'm just feeling poopy today. Woke up feeling fine but when I went out to run errands I found that it was not a good day to be around people. Those times when I feel the need to flee and hide in a hole suck.
                  Children love and want to be loved and they very much prefer the joy of accomplishment to the triumph of hateful failure. Do not mistake a child for his symptom.
                  -Erik Erikson

Comment

Sorry to hear that Chain It's been awhile since we've chatted...we sholuld make time to do so.

Comment

I'm just tired. Too much going on in too short a space of time and no chance to take a real vacation in the midst of it (or the foreseeable future).

Oh well. I'm testing out a bread recipe that allows me to make several batches of dough at once, freeze it and bake as needed. Hope it does what it says it should, it would save me a lot of headache at home.

Comment

Had vivid X-Men dream! Full on secret agent type plot and all. Involved all of us in a station wagon. There were super villain bugs chasing us. Some Marty'd Wolverine sub plot and me kicking ass!
                        Satan is my spirit animal

Comment

Ya,so who needs netflix or TV,ya gots movies running inside your head...

sigpic

witchvox

Comment

Originally posted by Ljubezen View Post
                            I'm just tired. Too much going on in too short a space of time and no chance to take a real vacation in the midst of it (or the foreseeable future).

Oh well. I'm testing out a bread recipe that allows me to make several batches of dough at once, freeze it and bake as needed. Hope it does what it says it should, it would save me a lot of headache at home.
                            The bread turned out ok... :P Still exhausted, but whatever I have tonight and tomorrow off to try and decompress.

Comment

Originally posted by Ljubezen View Post
                              The bread turned out ok... :P Still exhausted, but whatever I have tonight and tomorrow off to try and decompress.
                              I'll have my slice with apple butter, please.
                              Children love and want to be loved and they very much prefer the joy of accomplishment to the triumph of hateful failure. Do not mistake a child for his symptom.
                              -Erik Erikson

Comment

Is anyone else having major issues with pf lately? The website just won't load sometimes.
                                Circe

Comment

Working...
                                X