This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Whatcha thinking about now?

I am very concerned B. De.,not so much for my personal freedom and ability to speak truth with no constraints. I am concerned for my Grand children and their whole brand new world.
    MAGIC is MAGIC,black OR white or even blood RED

all i ever wanted was a normal life and love.
    NO TERF EVER WE belong Too.
    don't stop the tears.let them flood your soul.

sigpic

my new page here,let me know what you think.

nothing but the shadow of what was

witchvox
    http://www.witchvox.com/vu/vxposts.html

Comment

Originally posted by B. de Corbin View Post
      My journalism students are going to write an editorial about Steve Bannon and the alt-right.
      The best part of the election is that Pepe the Frog is going to be in history books.

Our children's children are going to be graded on their knowledge of the dank memes of our time.
      Last edited by Denarius; 18 Nov 2016, 14:42.
      Trust is knowing someone or something well enough to have a good idea of their motivations and character, for good or for ill. People often say trust when they mean faith.

Comment

Awful lot of "secret" fb groups popping up. It makes me sad that we're all so divided, yet so alike, and can't see the similarities.
        sigpic
        Can you hear me, Major Tom? I think I love you.

Comment

Secret is a relative term,truth be told nothing is secret online. The internet givith,and the internet takith away...All hail the digital swamp...

sigpic

witchvox

Comment

My journalism students are going to write an editorial about Steve Bannon and the alt-right. This may be the one that gets me fired...

Doing the research looks dangerous, but real world is real world.
            I hope it will be well received as an assignment. Whether one agree's or disagree's with a person's perspective I personally think critical analysis and thinking is something we all need and it has to be taught, encouraged and cultivated. Sad part is it can by be discouraged by biases on the part of the student, their parents and their teacher / instructor.

I recall a paper I did in college about Kennedy and our professor was very much anti-Kennedy. So we had a choice write a paper that was researched and supported with facts or write a paper that was heavily biased to support the professor's biases and hatred. Definitely made it difficult to write and more than a few in the class received marginal grades or failing grades on that assignment. Sadly I along with a few other's elected to go for a higher grade as it was part of our final and write to his biases even though we believed differently.

Ethically we betrayed our own morals and ethics I suppose for a grade. Yet that professor was gone the next semester as there were enough complaints filed against him. Well we presumed that was the reason why, never did find out exactly why we was gone.

But playing the devil's advocate here what conclusions do you expect your students to arrive at? What if they do not find the person you think they should?

While I probably agree with you regarding Steve Bannon and his racist published face via his brietbat publication / site they may not.
            I'm Only Responsible For What I Say Not For What Or How You Understand!

Comment

It's an opinion piece, and the opinion expressed doesn't matter. What does matter is that the position taken has solid support - that's where the trouble comes. In order to understand the pros and cons of Bannon, you have to understand the "alt-right," and exploring the alt-right gets pretty rank pretty quickly.

But, IMHO, since the alt-right has become a major force in contemporary American politics (they've even staged a coup in computer games, science fiction writing, and the Whitehouse), it's worth it to me to take the time to force students to see what they are going to be living with.
              Every moment of a life is a horrible tragedy, a slapstick comedy, dark nihilism, golden illumination, or nothing at all; depending on how we write the story we tell ourselves.

Comment

It's an opinion piece, and the opinion expressed doesn't matter. What does matter is that the position taken has solid support - that's where the trouble comes. In order to understand the pros and cons of Bannon, you have to understand the "alt-right," and exploring the alt-right gets pretty rank pretty quickly.

But, IMHO, since the alt-right has become a major force in contemporary American politics (they've even staged a coup in computer games, science fiction writing, and the Whitehouse), it's worth it to me to take the time to force students to see what they are going to be living with.
                Don't disagree at all. Wasn't aware of an influence in the game industry or SF genre but admit I probably do not see the alt-right within the same parameters. We probably closely agree as to the outside extreme right where we're seeing the extreme hatred that is being displayed but not sure where the so called left side or center of the alt-right might be defined. Sometimes it seems defining that center point or medium from which the extremes are being judged is as fluid as the extremes being judged.

Comment

Originally posted by monsno_leedra View Post
                  Wasn't aware of an influence in the game industry or SF genre but admit I probably do not see the alt-right within the same parameters.
                  I think he's trying to tie in #gamergate and the Sad Puppies. Because the media has painted all of the above in as negative a light as possible, they tend to use the same accusations. Racist, sexist, harassers, nazis... The thing is, that the only real thing tying all of them together is them being anti-establishment and/or calling out media bias/corruption.

Basically we are going through a contemporary red scare. Except this time people are demonizing the right and just like last time it is becoming a very easy way to paint people and movements that you don't like as the bad guys... regardless of their actual political positions.

the alt-right has become a major force in contemporary American politics

The Alt-Right is not a "major force" it's just a vaguely defined nationalist/populist movement, or more accurately a loose collection of movements. Played no, or at most a very little, role in the election but was a very good scapegoat.
                  Last edited by Denarius; 19 Nov 2016, 16:55.
                  Trust is knowing someone or something well enough to have a good idea of their motivations and character, for good or for ill. People often say trust when they mean faith.

Comment

I had to put down the oldest of our Yorkshire Terriers today. She was very sick and we couldn't keep her alive with her being so sick. It would have been very selfish. I cried for a good while. I still am. I considered her my fur sister. It's so hard to put a pet down. I miss her so much.
                    Anubisa

Dedicated and devoted to Lord Anubis and Lady Bast. A follower of the path of Egyptian Wicca.

Comment

It is as always,politics,and as everyone knows politics make strange bedfellows. It need not make sense,or even have any true meaning. At times it is only for show to distract the average public from understanding the deeper movements of the Body Politic. Slight of hand,and a neat trick if you can pull it off.

As someone once said,everything you know is wrong.

Have a nice day,and remember,it may be that it is all a bad dream,or not.

- - - Updated - - -

Originally posted by anubisa View Post
                      I had to put down the oldest of our Yorkshire Terriers today. She was very sick and we couldn't keep her alive with her being so sick. It would have been very selfish. I cried for a good while. I still am. I considered her my fur sister. It's so hard to put a pet down. I miss her so much.
                      I missed your post,it might have been as I was posting the other one. Sorry for your loss,it is hard to see someone or an animal go away. Life happens as we are trying to understand it,it seems we are always just a bit behind our understanding.

sigpic

witchvox

Comment

Originally posted by anunitu View Post
                        It is as always,politics,and as everyone knows politics make strange bedfellows. ..
                        Yep, Politics and war always makes for strange bedfellows, that or some really strange one night stands.

Comment

I'm sorry to hear that. I know it is hard. Best wishes to you.
                          Every moment of a life is a horrible tragedy, a slapstick comedy, dark nihilism, golden illumination, or nothing at all; depending on how we write the story we tell ourselves.

Comment

Sorry to hear this. I can relate we had to put our older dog down a couple of years ago and it tore me apart as he was my dog. It was a struggle as I battled between what was best for Fred's best interest, Fred was his name, and my own needs. He was ready to go but you know he also wanted to be here, but the pain in his eyes when he looked at you told you please let me go. It hurts but you did the right thing.

For me I still hurt inside for Fred and when I am really aching I think his spirit knows it for I feel him flop down on my feet the way he used to do. That or I feel him crawl up on the bed and stretch out along my back and feel his breath at my neck. Then once he's sure I'm fine he'll get up and i'll hear the thump as he jumps from the bed and walks down the hallway. I imagine he's out in the fields or running in the mountain fields with the other dogs we've had that have crossed until he knows we need him again. I should say Fred was a large Dalmatian and part Pit.

So don't be surprised if you see a shadow or hear a familiar clap of nails when it's quiet.

Comment

With the pet deaths we've had recently, I wonder if we should start a memorial thread in the Pets forum

Comment

Missed this too (trying to avoid this thread until everyone has stopped being a politician).

I'm very sorry for your loss. I know the pain of losing a beloved pet is intense but you did the right thing for your fur sister so I hope you can find comfort in that. My prayers are with you. I'm not sure how many other dogs you have, but give them plenty of hugs and loves because I'm sure they'll be sending you love and healing too in the way only a dog can.
                                夕方に急なにわか雨は「夕立」と呼ばれるなら、なぜ朝ににわか雨は「朝立ち」と呼ばれないの? ^^If a sudden rain shower in the evening is referred to as an 'evening stand', then why isn't a shower in the morning called 'morning stand'?

Comment

Working...
                                X