This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Isolated People Who Gave You a Good View of Religon

This is the flip side of this thread: http://www.paganforum.com/showthread...w-of-a-Religon which was requested of me to create.

This is a place to tell stories about people who opened up your eyes to a religion not being what you thought, and showing a good side to it .
    hey look, I have a book! And look I have a second one too!

Re: Isolated People Who Gave You a Good View of Religon

Do you count? Cause you surely count as a good view of Christianity to me!

Comment

Originally posted by Ektor View Post
      Do you count? Cause you surely count as a good view of Christianity to me!
      Aw, shucks ^_^. Thank you.
      hey look, I have a book! And look I have a second one too!

Comment

My first experience with an adult practising pagan was at my Catholic school's Study of Religion curriculum. I didn't attend the particular class on paganism based on religious grounds, but I did see one of the guest speakers at the school library stairs. The man invited to speak on paganism was not what I expected. He wore simple linen clothes and just had something about him. He carried a staff which at the time I thought was odd, but it didn't seem like a prop. When I think back now, he is what you might expect an elder Druid to look like, I suppose. He definitely had something extra about him in a scary-good way. Scary because I couldn't identify it though I knew it was spiritual, and good because it was grounded. It was then when I understood not all people practising Wicca or some other kind of paganism were off the planet and making it up.

Comment

I had a college instructor who is Buddhist. Only Buddhist I ever met in my life. One interesting thing is he couldn't get angry. Yeah, he got mildly annoyed every now and again, but never off-wall yelling angry. I don't know if I should attribute this to his religion entirely, but I've also never heard of a Buddhist blowing up at someone. So Buddhists: they're pretty chill.

Comment

Well, Gesh Medusa gave me probably the best explanation of Satanism that I've ever heard, which is probably one of the primary reasons that I just became an Atheist instead of a Satanist.

There was a blog post that I read ages ago...it was more like an online book, but I haven't been able to find the biography and I can't for the life of me remember the name of the guy that wrote it. He described, in depth, his youth in regards to religion, how he went to Seminary and was actually a considerable intellect when it came to spiritual studies (even gaining access to some of the less accessible libraries). He explained some of the bullshit involved with the Christian organization as a whole (hiding the Truth to protect the church, that sort of thing). How he had decided to, as the prophets and such did from the Old Testament, leave home with naught but the clothes on his back. He described in detail picking up an elderly Jewish woman, and his conversations with her regarding her feelings about a God that would allow the Hollocaust. Meeting his Buddhist friends, and briefly converting to Paganism before giving up on religion entirely. It was moving (for me) to read about someone that had approached religion with a sense of Reason and arrived at a conclusion that I was pretty close to arriving at on my own.

Of course, many of the long time members here have been quite an education for me as well

Comment

I have a very good catholic friend. I met him through a high school buddy. Unfortunately, he lives hours and hours away from me, but we keep up contact through facebook and occasional phone calls.
              Obviously, I disagree with a lot of his catholic dogma. However, he is one of the most deeply, truly spiritual people I have ever known, and he always expresses his ideas in the gentlest, most poetic, and least jugemental of terms. He embraces hearts of all kinds, including the little heathen one beating in my own chest. Though he holds true to his beliefs, he does so in the most open minded fashion possible. He is open to the practices of other philosophies and religions. He does not push his ideology on me. Perhaps most important of all, our apposing ideologies are joined together by a common thread of inner truth and spiritual understanding that reaches far past lifestyle and religion. In short, he is one of the most Christ-like Christians I have ever come across, and it has been enriching to know him.

Oh, and Mal is pretty cool too :P

Comment

Working...
              X