This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Do pets become spirits when they die?

I ask this, because one time I was thinking of a dog my family had, and I wasn't very kind to her. I was pondering if she forgave me, and that very night, I had a dream where I saw a girl in white (I think) sitting down outdoors, and I think her hair was blonde (the dog's fur was tan). The scenery was beautiful, and she was laughing and smiling. Before anything else happened, I woke up.

So, do you think this dog turned into a nature spirit, and appeared in my dream to reassure me that everything is ok?
    What one believes in is infinitely more important than WHO they believe in.

Re: Do pets become spirits when they die?

In my opinion they don't. Animals can be holy for some deities, but I doubt they become spirits when they stop their living.
    Perhaps it just a matter of every religion's point of view. I am not certain about it, everything is possible. Perhaps they do become spirits. It's also a matter of perspective.
    "Fair means that everybody gets what they need. And the only way to get that is to make it happen yourself."

Since I adore cats, I might write something strange or unusual in my comment.Cats are awesome!!! ^_^

Comment

i believe every living thing has a spirit , that may be do to my study of energy (soul) in animals and my own study of human energy , i am certain that animals have souls maybe not in the convintional christian idea of the spirit but a spirit none the less
      Knowledge is the key to eternity. Not bowing before a deity not grovling at the feet of a messiah. Knowledge is power beyond mesure - satanic witch

Comment

Originally posted by jcaternolo View Post
        I ask this, because one time I was thinking of a dog my family had, and I wasn't very kind to her. I was pondering if she forgave me, and that very night, I had a dream where I saw a girl in white (I think) sitting down outdoors, and I think her hair was blonde (the dog's fur was tan). The scenery was beautiful, and she was laughing and smiling. Before anything else happened, I woke up.

So, do you think this dog turned into a nature spirit, and appeared in my dream to reassure me that everything is ok?
        My childhood pets live on in my dreams too, and with the revelations attending the infinite dilation of the final moment I believe this was known to them - it was known they would become part of something larger than themselves. I too regret how I treated my pet cat on one occasion when she was ill but I trust that my remorse was among the mysteries revealed to her.

Comment

I think it's possible, at least in the context of the religion(s) I practice.

In Kemeticism, animals at least have a ka (vital essence), which is one of the prereqs of afterlife existence. I've heard some people say they lack a ba (which is a combination of a soul, personality, and reputation that allows movement outside of the body), but I disagree.

My guess would be that most animals would lack an akh (basically a super-purified "shining body" version of the deceased that's pure enough to join Ra in His boat). That doesn't mean they'd be barred from the nicer places in the afterlife, IMO. The reason humans can be barred is we have greater powers of reasoning as opposed to animals, so we have greater responsibilities.

In Hinduism, there's a soul in every animal (hell, in every *thing*), but it's a soul that's been reduced to a "sub-human" state through the karmic mechanism.

That said, from my spiritual perspective, it's possible that pets could come back to us in one form or another for various reasons.
          Blog: http://thestarsafire.tumblr.com

Kuchi wa wazawai no moto (the mouth is the origin of disasters)

Comment

Myth is full of stories of pets that remained to look after their owners or marked where their owners fell awaiting a proper burial. To me when I hear people speak of pets not having souls or spirits that can remain it irritates me for it reeks of Christian dogma that only humans have souls or spirits. Granted not all Christian's but a fair amount of them. I know when my two dogs passed this last year their spirits stayed with me for a few days after each one passed. Even now over a year later I still fell them at times, especially when I am very sad about their passing and the hurt returns.
            I'm Only Responsible For What I Say Not For What Or How You Understand!

Comment

My dogs - and other pets - all have spirits. And most of them have stayed close, even decades later. Maybe it's wishful thinking on my part. But as Mr Penry says, most animals are nicer than many humans. And after all, whoever heard of a st Bernard starting a war?
              www.thewolfenhowlepress.com

Phantom Turnips never die.... they just get stewed occasionally....

Comment

The British Society for Psychical Research recorded anecdotal descriptions of pet ghosts. They were one of the more common types of ghosts, if I recall.

You can get a quick rough history from checking Wik... ah, I mean, one of the many sites that cribbed from Wikki.
                Every moment of a life is a horrible tragedy, a slapstick comedy, dark nihilism, golden illumination, or nothing at all; depending on how we write the story we tell ourselves.

Comment

Honestly I think every living being has some sort of soul. Many infinitely less ~complex~ than others, but it's there. I'm inclined to think that when wild animals die they kind of merge together with the billion nature spirits that exist in any forest area, it's a whole other spiritual world out there. As for pets, I don't really know, but I think all the energy created by the love we had for them must do something positive.

Comment

I'm an animist... I believe that all living things have spirits (along with a great many non-living things). I believe that some pets will continue to stick around once they have died. We have a ghost cat that lives in our house... it was here when we moved in and we'll invite it to come with us when we leave. My hides all have spirits, which are a combination of the essence of the animal that lived in them when they were alive, and spirits sent to inhabit them by the overarching animal spirit of the species involved. I work extensively with animals, both alive and dead... so this is absolutely a part of my spiritual path and experience.

Comment

I also believe that all living things possess a spirit that continues after they die, not necessarily as a ghost, but it returns to the collective life force of the planet. Though I have also encountered ghost animals, in particular a cat which followed me and my boyfriend to different houses over a few years.
                      sigpic

Comment

I fully believe that animals have spirits and can stick around if they wish to. My first cat, who really belonged to my stepmom, grew really close to me over our years together (and I now refer to her as my sister). She died 5 years ago at the old age of 15. I still miss her greatly. It's heartbreaking, but she died right after my dad kicked me out. I would normally spend summers with my mom but this time was different. She knew I wasn't coming back. So I believe she followed me in the only way she could. A few years later, two years ago now, she saw I was suffering. And out of nowhere, a friend plopped a tiny black furball into my hands. Her name is Bellatrix and she is my soulmate. I believe my sister brought us together. I never do see her, but I know she is with me.

Comment

I believe everyone has spirits. Animals are too personal to not have spirits. You hear to much about ghost animals that they cannot just be animals without some type of spirit. My dogs who are yorkshire terriors, are the most craziest things you ever did see. Not crazy as insane, but they know what their doing when they want to make me mad. My boy dog will jump up and down off the bed when i'm half asleep because he hears something and will start barking. Now you can't tell me that an animal doesn't have a spirit. They have personalities and they love their human owners, it just has to be true.
                          Anubisa

Dedicated and devoted to Lord Anubis and Lady Bast. A follower of the path of Egyptian Wicca.

Comment

Working...
                          X