This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Soul ties.

So, there are a few ladies within my religion that have talked to me about 'soul ties,' usually in connection with an unhealthy relationship. They talk about cutting soul ties through prayer when someone is hanging on to a relationship that is harming their emotional wellbeing or inhibiting the practise of their faith.

I found it a curious topic for Christian ladies to talk about because I haven't noticed it in the Bible (except perhaps when St. Paul is asking believers not to be yoked to unbelievers, but I don't know if this is the same thing). In my experience with Christian teaching, anything 'soulish' is considered corrupt and must be cut off, as it has the potential to hold the person back from experiencing spirit-filled life to the full or lead to sin.

I'm interested to know where this concept came from. Does anyone else's faith include soul ties? What are they, how are they formed? Would you want to nurture or cut them off?

**Not sure if this belongs here or in religion and spirituality discussion. Feel free to move the thread if needed.**

Re: Soul ties.

Not at all,I find this interesting. Though I have never heard the term before. With any religious group,sometimes people kind of create their own add on type perspective. As long as it is positive, and does not become a method of exclusion or cause a person to view others in a kind of "I am more holy than thou" way it would seem harmless. I have however seen people use their own ideas that become less christian towards others. You must remember I am not Christian,but I did grow up in a Seventh Day Adventist setting,and some people can get a bit carried away with their own righteousness,and lose sight of their connection to god or Jesus in a more personal way.
    MAGIC is MAGIC,black OR white or even blood RED

all i ever wanted was a normal life and love.
    NO TERF EVER WE belong Too.
    don't stop the tears.let them flood your soul.

sigpic

my new page here,let me know what you think.

nothing but the shadow of what was

witchvox
    http://www.witchvox.com/vu/vxposts.html

Comment

Originally posted by Azvanna View Post
      So, there are a few ladies within my religion that have talked to me about 'soul ties,' usually in connection with an unhealthy relationship. They talk about cutting soul ties through prayer when someone is hanging on to a relationship that is harming their emotional wellbeing or inhibiting the practise of their faith.

I found it a curious topic for Christian ladies to talk about because I haven't noticed it in the Bible (except perhaps when St. Paul is asking believers not to be yoked to unbelievers, but I don't know if this is the same thing). In my experience with Christian teaching, anything 'soulish' is considered corrupt and must be cut off, as it has the potential to hold the person back from experiencing spirit-filled life to the full or lead to sin.

I'm interested to know where this concept came from. Does anyone else's faith include soul ties? What are they, how are they formed? Would you want to nurture or cut them off?

**Not sure if this belongs here or in religion and spirituality discussion. Feel free to move the thread if needed.**
      I absolutely believe in a concept very much like this, though I tend to call them 'energetic ties' rather than soul ties. The soul in my faith is a complex matrix made up of several parts... and vulnerable to all sorts of energetic drainages, leakages, connections, trauma and deformities. Whenever you form a strong emotional connection with someone, you tend to end up with energetic connections. When there is a co-dependent or unhealthy relationship, the connections are much more one-way and can be difficult for the 'victim' to unravel. It's also possible to purposefully set up a one way connection for the purposes of draining energy or keeping a person emotionally dependent on you, though most abusers are unconscious about it. It's not just romantic relationships... friendships also form these connections, which can end up being unhealthy if there is unresolved issues or difficult breakdowns of the friendship. Anger and hatred can keep the connections strong, as can resentment, jealousy and all those lovely things. These sorts of ties are also what I believe are responsible for soul loss during relationships and breakups, (soul fragmentation and soul loss is a shamanic concept, with one of the primary duties of many shamanists being to retrieve lost soul fragments).

Whether you want to nurture or cut it off is dependent on the nature of the tie. If you are trying to make a clean break from an unhealthy relationship then you absolutely want to cut it off, preferably after you've pulled all of yourself back to yourself first. I once had an energetic connection that an old shamanist friend set into me. The friendship had been breaking down slowly and I'd been withdrawing for a while, then had finally had enough and called it off, which apparently came as a big surprise to her as she had thought we were still close. She then spent a good six months being passive aggressive and weird about the fact that I was still being nice to her. She ended up deciding that I must have cursed her (which I hadn't) and so cursed me in perceived retaliation. I had to remove her energetic ties several times, because in the initial months she kept sending them back, I suspect simply because she had a lot of unresolved resentment, insecurity and focus on our broken friendship.

On the flip side of that, the energetic ties that I have with my husband are quite healthy and something that I consider to be nurtured. As well as all those I have with my friends and family. These ties strengthen our relationships and increase our ability to have empathy and understanding for those close to us.

Energetic ties themselves aren't a problem, nor are they inherently unhealthy or something to be discouraged. The problem comes when one or both sides of the tie have issues... this then leads to ties that drain rather than enrich, or ties that don't disconnect when you break up a relationship. These are the ones you have to consciously go in and cut off sometimes. The healthy ones take care of themselves; and a healthy breakup will remove the ties automatically.

Comment

Wow! Thanks Rae'ya. Fount of knowledge, you are.
        The new thing to me in your post is the idea of soul fragmentation and pulling yourself back into yourself before you cut a tie.

You're right about the 'holier than thou' attitude that tends to appear from time to time, anunitu, especially when you have faith that has special pet teaching like no caffeine etc.. I haven't really heard that appear yet alongside conversation regarding soul ties, they sound more like the kinds of relationships that have broken down and leave behind that list of emotions Rae'ya was describing like jealousy, sticky regrets, anger, etc. It would be something to stay aware of, though.

I have a few questions, but I need to think on it first! ^.^

Rae'ya I wonder if this is a good example of that Wiccan slant some modern Christian thoughts have taken on as per a previous discussion.

Comment

I know this thread is a couple weeks old, but I believe this is exactly what has happened to me. I had a good friend that I was close to for many years. We used to draw and write stories together and tell each other secrets, typical teenage girl stuff. As we got older, she started treating me more and more like dirt. She started spreading lies about me and doing little petty jealous things that I couldn't understand. I even woke up one day because I had a horrible feeling someone wanted to hurt me, only to find her standing over me watching me sleep. O.O I decided, after that, to end our relationship. I believe she had become quite obsessed and never stopped projecting / fixating on me.

I've been feeling a dense energy like a fog constantly in my mind. Sometimes it's strong enough to make me feel tired and want to do nothing but sleep. Sometimes I do, even up to 12-14 hours unless I consciously fight it. I feel another energy within that energy like little worms moving around in my head. It's blocked pieces of my memory that I've had to fight through just to remember a part of myself. I've been consciously struggling against it, but this energy is so integrated, it is difficult to get rid of.

I've noticed that I'm a difficult read for empaths as well at times. I've sense myself through my bf to see what others were seeing. I did not sense my own energy. I sensed hers. She has bottled up anger, jealousy, resentment, fear, hatred... I know she's seen some rough times in her past which would explain that, but I really don't know how to stop this.

I thought after I started taking iron supplements it would help. It's helped me have the strength to fight, yes, but since this problem seems to officially not be part of my iron deficiency and seems to be something I've suspected has existed for a long time now, I wonder if it's possible to fix this. I've been working steadily for six years about and my progress has been at a snail's pace. I don't want to experience this forever. It's not fun in the least.

Comment

Originally posted by feathered_regalia View Post
            I know this thread is a couple weeks old, but I believe this is exactly what has happened to me. I had a good friend that I was close to for many years. We used to draw and write stories together and tell each other secrets, typical teenage girl stuff. As we got older, she started treating me more and more like dirt. She started spreading lies about me and doing little petty jealous things that I couldn't understand. I even woke up one day because I had a horrible feeling someone wanted to hurt me, only to find her standing over me watching me sleep. O.O I decided, after that, to end our relationship. I believe she had become quite obsessed and never stopped projecting / fixating on me.

I've been feeling a dense energy like a fog constantly in my mind. Sometimes it's strong enough to make me feel tired and want to do nothing but sleep. Sometimes I do, even up to 12-14 hours unless I consciously fight it. I feel another energy within that energy like little worms moving around in my head. It's blocked pieces of my memory that I've had to fight through just to remember a part of myself. I've been consciously struggling against it, but this energy is so integrated, it is difficult to get rid of.

I've noticed that I'm a difficult read for empaths as well at times. I've sense myself through my bf to see what others were seeing. I did not sense my own energy. I sensed hers. She has bottled up anger, jealousy, resentment, fear, hatred... I know she's seen some rough times in her past which would explain that, but I really don't know how to stop this.

I thought after I started taking iron supplements it would help. It's helped me have the strength to fight, yes, but since this problem seems to officially not be part of my iron deficiency and seems to be something I've suspected has existed for a long time now, I wonder if it's possible to fix this. I've been working steadily for six years about and my progress has been at a snail's pace. I don't want to experience this forever. It's not fun in the least.
            That sounds awful, feathered_regalia. I hope you can find someone to help you with this. Have you tried anything apart from the iron supplements? I mean in the way of a spiritual solution.

Comment

Working...
            X