This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Let's talk about 'the scientific method'

Question: Is the scientific method the only way to gain truthful knowledge? Is it simply the most efficient way? The most subjective? Or are there other ways? Discuss. Debate!
    Satan is my spirit animal

Re: Let's talk about 'the scientific method'

The scientific method is pretty much synonymous with reasoned inquiry. In a very real sense it IS science, and science is the best way we have for explaining the physical world around us.

There's an entire universe of metaphysical reasoning beyond that, but we didn't land on the moon as a direct result of any of it.
    Trust is knowing someone or something well enough to have a good idea of their motivations and character, for good or for ill. People often say trust when they mean faith.

Comment

Pfft.

Scientific method.
      • Ask a Question/Research
      • Construct a Hypothesis
      • Test Your Hypothesis/Experiment
      • Draw a Conclusion - Accept or Reject Hypothesis

That, alone, varies greatly in the scientific/academic community. Some list 3, 4 or even 5 steps to the scientific method.

The thing of it is, not everything falls to science and the scientific method to reach a valid conclusion. For instance, "How do you feel?" The only way that comes into the realm of science is when the answer is, "with my senses," or "with my fingers." If the answer is more like, "I'm feeling pretty good. Didn't get much sleep but the sun is shining and it's a beautiful day." It can't be run through the scientific method, to find the truth of that statement. That knowledge is subjective, in the extreme.

There are many things outside of the normal objective or scientific view. Religion is a big one, and one that this forum is based upon. We *try* to encourage objective viewpoints while, at the same time, we exist purely because of the differences in beliefs... subjectivity. The [infamous?] nuclear family possesses a great deal of subjectivity - or there wouldn't be such a thing as broken homes and divorces. At least in the sense of agreement versus compromise. (Hell, *abuse* would be much easier to observe, treat and avoid if it were just simply some objective behavior thing.) Beliefs really are a fundamental part of everyday life. Even NOT in religious or spiritual terms, here. Those beliefs just can't stand up to the scientific method, at all. The method doesn't apply.

On the other hand, if we take into account differing perspectives of the same observation, where each perspective has its own clear view, we've just introduced the possibility of differing, or even conflicting, true viewpoints. One excellent example of this is how science can adopt a different true statement, when even more data comes in. When Apophis was first discovered, it was said to have a 1-in-200 chance of hitting the Earth. As more information was gathered, that chance increased to 1-in-37. As it now stands, that chance has dropped to less than 1-in-48,000. As the link, provided, indicates, "for reference, there is a 1-in-354,319 chance that you'll be killed in an airplane accident." Scientific method, again, doesn't apply. Accuracy improves and the truth changes.

On, yet, another hand. Scientific method is the most verifiable, supported and widely accepted manner with which to prove a given answer to others - by showing the data, the results of experimentation, the accuracy of whatever hypotheses. It's very, VERY useful but, honestly, it's best kept to science and scientific questions. (It won't come in handy, at all, to answer the question, "Do you love your dog/cat/spouse/child?") Also, one has to keep in mind that the theories that come out of such hypotheses (think: Big Bang) are based on limited evidence. In some cases, new evidence can completely change the theory. Coelacanths, for instance. In other cases, new evidence just further vindicates the original hypothesis.

Science is in a state of flux. The scientific method is only one small part of the puzzle solver, for any given moment, or other span of time, IN that state of flux.
      Last edited by ChainLightning; 22 Apr 2014, 23:44.

"Reason is not automatic. Those who deny it cannot be conquered by it." - Ayn Rand

"Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth." - Marcus Aurelius

"The very ink with which history is written is merely fluid prejudice." - Mark Twain

"The only gossip I'm interested in is things from the Weekly World News - 'Woman's bra bursts, 11 injured'. That kind of thing." - Johnny Depp

Comment

Originally posted by Denarius View Post
        The scientific method is pretty much synonymous with reasoned inquiry. In a very real sense it IS science, and science is the best way we have for explaining the physical world around us.

There's an entire universe of metaphysical reasoning beyond that, but we didn't land on the moon as a direct result of any of it.
        Well, that's just it. Purely metaphysical ideas are not falsifiable, and therefore cannot be tested with the scientific method. This makes it very annoying when people try to "prove" their religious, etc, beliefs...To the point of interfering with secular schooling, etc.

Comment

The best thing about the scientific method is that proving something wrong is just as exciting as proving it right.

This I know because i feel it changes too much over one persons life. Magick exists it just became physics and science. Energy exists that we dont fully understand so we call it a god.

There is bliss in not knowing something it allows the imagination and emotions to run wild. The key is to obtain knowledge while keeping your faith.

Comment

Originally posted by ChainLightning View Post
            Pfft.

Scientific method.
            • Ask a Question/Research
            • Construct a Hypothesis
            • Test Your Hypothesis/Experiment
            • Draw a Conclusion - Accept or Reject Hypothesis

That, alone, varies greatly in the scientific/academic community. Some list 3, 4 or even 5 steps to the scientific method.
            I'm one of theft people who would add steps.

Before the first step, add in "observation/experience."

One of the common misconceptions regarding the "scientific method" is that it actually follows the outline.

It is true that small, or incremental advances in science do follow that sequence. However, the BIG advances generally begin with intuition. The researcher may "intuit" a thing, based on observation, or experience, or something of which they are are completely unaware. Take the example of Kekule and the benzine ring as am example.

However, we can "intuit" truth as easily as we can "intuit" error. All kinds of things, such as wishful thinking, or a -priori assumptions, can lead into error.

The beauty of the scientific method method is that it allows for testing, and provides evidence where evidence is necessary.

So, while intuition can provide knowledge, the scientific method method is useful in determining whether that knowledge is valid or invalid.
            Every moment of a life is a horrible tragedy, a slapstick comedy, dark nihilism, golden illumination, or nothing at all; depending on how we write the story we tell ourselves.

Comment

Originally posted by Historyforall View Post
              The best thing about the scientific method is that proving something wrong is just as exciting as proving it right.

This I know because i feel it changes too much over one persons life. Magick exists it just became physics and science. Energy exists that we dont fully understand so we call it a god.

There is bliss in not knowing something it allows the imagination and emotions to run wild. The key is to obtain knowledge while keeping your faith.
              I love that last sentence.

It sorta reminds me that there's lots of people that feel, or sometimes even claim, that science and religion are mutually exclusive. I just wish those of us that had 'the key', there, could make copies to give to those less fortunate.

"Reason is not automatic. Those who deny it cannot be conquered by it." - Ayn Rand

"Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth." - Marcus Aurelius

"The very ink with which history is written is merely fluid prejudice." - Mark Twain

"The only gossip I'm interested in is things from the Weekly World News - 'Woman's bra bursts, 11 injured'. That kind of thing." - Johnny Depp

Comment

Working...
              X