Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

May Day: Beltane almost here, what are your plans?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

May Day: Beltane almost here, what are your plans?

Years ago I had acreage and a 22 foot Maypole. We had a big party, picnic and May Pole dance as well as fertility related games..

Such as "cream the fertility goddess" where I drew a fertility goddess on a big cardboard posted to a tree and the men threw water balloons filled with a cooked cornstarch and water "slurry" that was alarmingly similar to semen. The goal was to aim at the appropriate spot. Good fun for all!

For the gals we had throw the loop around the balloon.

A long balloon was attached by it's tail to a weight on the ground where it danced around a bit and the gals threw hoops over it.

Then there was the eat the donut or twinkie suspended by a twine from the clothesline.

And the popular pie eating contest (yes, real pie, pun intended)

And just for fun...because I had small livestock at the time. Bunny or chicken bingo! A canvas was painted with squares with a number in each. A small pen was put around it. People paid $2 for a number, when all the squares were sold an bunny or chicken was put in, and whichever square it pooped on first..won the pot!

And another goodie was "sticky face" each person gets a roll of lifesavers, and a timer is set for three minutes (or a song is put on the stereo) and the contestants have to unwrap the roll, lick the candies and stick them to their face. Whoever has the most stuck to them when the song ends (or timer beeps) is the winner!

Ah, those were good times.

Also, washing the face in the dew on May 1 for a year of beauty (no longer feasible as I live in the desert and there is rarely dew on May 1)

And doing the fertility wiggle with a willing partner on the ground (what a lovely eco friendly use of the forest or field!)

Alas, this year no acreage, party, May dew or partner, what's a girl to do?

Plant seeds. Decorate the alter. Do a gratitude ritual for the fertility of body and mind and land that I am grateful for.

Pick flowers (not actually legal where I live but good for other folks) and share them with friends.

Have a bonfire (actually fire restrictions were called early this year so that's not happening either)

so, since my resources are limited this year I NEED you all to help me out by sharing what you do on May Day.

Thanks!

Re: May Day: Beltane almost here, what are your plans?

The kiddos usually make May Baskets (with paper flowers) and deliver them, and we bake sun cake (we pretty much do this for every sabbat--its basically an orange bunt cake with lemon icing). And we often go to the local festival...though we are not camping this year.
    Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
    sigpic

Comment

I typically go out of my way to make honey cakes both for myself, and to set out as an offering. One of these days I'm gunna have the stuff to make the Marigold Custard recipe I found for Beltane too. I'm thinking Imma see if I'm off work that day and spend it with a fire at the beach though.

But if you're interested-here's the recipes for both of those:

Fried Honeycakes

These cakes were left in the garden to please Faery visitors. If you plan to leave an offering to the Faery, double the recipe to keep some for your family. They're scrumptious.

1/2 cup sweet white wine (Woodbridge puts out a very nice Reisling for only $7 that I found works fantastic for them)
      2 tablespoons sugar
      1 egg
      1 cup honey
      2/3 cup flour
      1/8 teaspoon nutmeg
      1/8 teaspoon cinnamon
      Oil for frying
      1/8 teaspoon salt

Beat the wine & egg in a medium bowl. Combine the flour, cinnamon, salt & sugar in a small bowl. Stir into the egg mixture. Let stand 30 minutes. Combine the honey & nutmeg in a small bowl.

Heat 1/2-inch of the oil in a frying pan until hot, but not smoking. Drop the batter into the oil 1 tablespoon at a time; fry until golden brown. Drain on paper towels. Dip into the honey.

Yield: 1 1/2 Dozen.

Marigold Custard

2 cups milk
      1 cup organic marigold petals
      pinch salt
      3 tablespoons sugar
      1 vanilla pod
      3 egg yolks slightly beaten
      cinnamon & nutmeg according to taste
      1/2 teaspoon rose water
      whipped cream

Using a clean pestle and mortar (or a spoon will suffice) crush the marigold petals. Mix the salt, sugar and spices together. gently heat (do not boil!) the milk with the marigolds and the vanilla pod to let the flavours infuse.

Remove the vanilla pod and add the slightly beaten yolks and dry ingredients. Cook on low heat until it thickens. When the mixture coats the spoon, add rose water and cool.
      Top with whipped cream, garnish with fresh marigold petals.
      Always taking art commissions, especially for fantasy and pagan related artwork
      Featured on Deviantart, Storenvy, Facebook, and Cafepress
      sigpic

Comment

I will probably be working, but I am tucking that honey cake recipe of Yorin's away, see if I've got time for that.
        http://catcrowsnow.blogspot.com/

But they were doughnuts of darkness. Evil damned doughnuts, tainted by the spawn of darkness.... Which could obviously only be redeemed by passing through the fiery inferno of my digestive tract.
        ~Jim Butcher

Comment

Yorin, where did you find those recipes? Also, do you mind if I share them on my blog?
          Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Maria de Luna View Post
            I will probably be working, but I am tucking that honey cake recipe of Yorin's away, see if I've got time for that.
            They seriously take like maaaaybe 10 minutes to make, if that once you've let the batter sit a while. Just be careful not to splash yourself with the hot oil-that shit hurts from personal experience.

Originally posted by thalassa View Post
            Yorin, where did you find those recipes? Also, do you mind if I share them on my blog?
            Honestly, I don't remember for the life of me. Random searching back when I first joined PF online for Beltane recipes cause I was doing something with a friend of mine and happened to come across them. So I totally don't mind, and hopefully the creator wont throw a hissy fit either lol
            sigpic

Comment

Beltane is usually a time for me where I bless my seedlings, clean my altar, and start my outside altar. This year, Beltane is going to still see snow on the ground (though, the ground is actually poking through in places, so...spring is coming) and it's nowhere near time for seedlings, though I might be able to start planting seeds in little pots in the house soon. And my outside altar, well...I'm still going to try for one, but with so much wildlife and high winds, it may not work.

This year however, I can have a bonfire (though I guess I did last year too) and for years I have been making oatcakes on Beltane. I've got a really good recipe that's flourless (aka gluten free unless you can't have oats) with oats and applesauce and egg. (I'll dig it out later, I'm getting ready for work).

Mostly art.

Comment

Wow, that marigold custard sounds divine! Definately putting that on my list...gotta see about marigold petals, if I can't find them I think I will use saffron, that often finds it's way into holiday baking here.

The wine in the honey cake recipe also reminded me we used to make "May Wine" . We didn't have sweet woodruff so I used wild mint that grew in our yard. Wonderful stuff!

Comment

I'd like to have gone up to the Beltane Fire Festival nearby but am out of luck with childcare this year. So instead my son and I will be having a special meal together on Wednesday evening, then when he's in bed I get some peace and quiet to myself after dark. On May Day itself I'll be going out with my camera (I feel more connected when out taking pictures than with any ritual).

Comment

Awwwwwwww -____- I just realized I'll be working. Phooey
                    sigpic

Comment

Happy Almost Beltane! It's my first, and I am very excited.

I will be making Scottish Oatcakes, as well as jumping over a candle (instead of a fire) and saying a prayer.

Blessed be!

Comment

I'm stoked. I was able to find the marigold petals (calendula) for the custard!

This morning I found this lovely Beltane prayer, wanted to share it here.

awakening (a prayer for Beltane)

here lie new hope,
                        new life,
                        re-birth,
                        here are the
                        endless possibilities
                        of the warming earth,
                        may we too
                        respond
                        as seeds
                        opening,
                        driving
                        roots down
                        into fertile ground,
                        and reaching
                        to the light,
                        awakened by the
                        Spirit's breath
                        to the rhythm
                        of our days,
                        to grow,
                        to glory,
                        to dance,
                        to praise....

Comment

Sadly, Nightingale is off on a school trip today, so no plans for us.
                          hey look, I have a book! And look I have a second one too!

Comment

Happy Beltane!

We used to celebrate it, but eventually we were no longer really sure why we separated it from Spring Equinox, since they are so similar in the way we celebrate them.

Comment

I always feel like it falls on the wrong day.... Like it isn't in the right space in the calendar.
                              http://catcrowsnow.blogspot.com/

But they were doughnuts of darkness. Evil damned doughnuts, tainted by the spawn of darkness.... Which could obviously only be redeemed by passing through the fiery inferno of my digestive tract.
                              ~Jim Butcher

Comment

Working...
                              X