Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

A good protective gloss for painting on wood?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A good protective gloss for painting on wood?

Does anyone have experience painting on wood? I recently inherited some of my mother's old art supplies the last time I visited home. I've thought about painting on a wooden surface perhaps for some altar tools, but I would like to cover anything I paint with some kind of glossy overcoat to prevent whatever I paint from getting damaged in the future.

Are there any particularly good substances for this?

Re: A good protective gloss for painting on wood?

Experience with this? Oh yes, yes and totally yes lol.

My suggestion, especially if you're painting it, is to use a good polyurethane sealer for your works. That way, its got a good sealer on it to protect it but you've still got lots of options on what to buy. Personally, I use a water based one made by Minwax both for when I paint on wood, and when I do my wood burnings. It doesn't have too terrible of an odor, and it goes on clear without messing up the color of the paint or the wood afterwords.
    Always taking art commissions, especially for fantasy and pagan related artwork
    Featured on Deviantart, Storenvy, Facebook, and Cafepress
    sigpic

Comment

"Taking notes"....

Comment

Wouldn't you rather have the all natural feel and smell of the wood, instead of some mineral oil smell and feel? If it that precious, try linseed oils or as I used to do & use Oil of Abramelin to seal it.

Comment

Yes, it is called a varnish. Lacquer. It is the stuff that is used on patios. There is a acrylic spray paint for some applications.

Comment

Clear nail polish works great: comes with it's own handy brush; it's relatively inexpensive; and ya don't gave to buy a gallon at a time.
            I often wish that I had done drugs in the '70s. At least there'd be a reason for the flashbacks. - Rick the Runesinger

Blood and Country

“Barbarianism is the natural state of mankind. Civilization is unnatural. It is the whim of circumstance. And barbarianism must ultimately triumph.” - Robert E. Howard

Tribe of my Tribe
            Clan of my Clan
            Kin of my Kin
            Blood of my Blood

For the Yule was upon them, the Yule; and they quaffed from the skulls of the slain,
            And shouted loud oaths in hoarse wit, and long quaffing swore laughing again.

Comment

Thanks for all the tips, guys! Hopefully I can try a few of these out and see which one I like the best.

Comment

Working...
              X