This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cat rescues boy from attacking dog.

This caught my eye today,and it makes me proud to be a cat person.

"A California child pulled from his bike by an attacking dog was saved by his family's cat on Tuesday, which quickly rushed in and attacked the dog, a video posted on YouTube showed on Wednesday."

A California child pulled from his bike by an attacking dog was saved by his family's cat on Tuesday, which quickly rushed in and attacked the dog, a video posted on YouTube showed on Wednesday.
    MAGIC is MAGIC,black OR white or even blood RED

all i ever wanted was a normal life and love.
    NO TERF EVER WE belong Too.
    don't stop the tears.let them flood your soul.

sigpic

my new page here,let me know what you think.

nothing but the shadow of what was

witchvox
    http://www.witchvox.com/vu/vxposts.html

Re: Cat rescues boy from attacking dog.

I've seen this all over the net. The little boy as a mild case of autism. I guess that cat was just not gonna take it! Sadly the puppy *only 8 months old* was put down. I have to wonder about the owners of that dog. What dog is vicious at 8 months! So sad. And the poor bites on the kid were pretty awful. I saw pics of the kid with his cat. So adorable!
    Satan is my spirit animal

Comment

Originally posted by Medusa View Post
      Sadly the puppy *only 8 months old* was put down. I have to wonder about the owners of that dog. What dog is vicious at 8 months! So sad.
      Dogs who are vicious at 8 months old generally have some pretty heavy duty psychological issues. 'Vicious' can be trained into a dog, but it is also genetic. In a young dog, it's more likely to be genetic than trained/neglected. When it's genetic, it's difficult to manage safely, even with extensive behavioural therapy. Sometimes we have to put dogs down for behavioural reasons. It sucks.

It always hard to tell when there are kids involved, because kids do some pretty awful things to dogs sometimes. Sometimes when kids get attacked it's because they were doing stupid things, or because they have never been taught to read a dog and know when to back off. But from the video this one looked like a genuine, unprovoked attack.

Comment

Sometimes we have to put dogs down for behavioural reasons.
        If only we could do that to people.

But yeah, amazing video...

It always hard to tell when there are kids involved, because kids do some pretty awful things to dogs sometimes.
        My dog snapped at a child one day when he happened to get out the yard. I was devastated but later found out through a bit of digging that the child in question and her friends had cornered my dog and were teasing him relentlessly. Of course the parents would never admit that their little bundle of joy was being a menace. I am currently staying with my friend who has a 2 year old, and my dog is absolutely gentle towards him, even when the child has pulled on his ears or tail. There was no way I was going to punish my dog just because he scratched some little brat who hasn't been taught to treat animals with kindness and respect.
        sigpic

Comment

This cat was so awesome
          There is something pagan in me that I cannot shake off. In short, I deny nothing, but doubt everything. - Lord Byron

Come forth into the light of things, let nature be your teacher. -
          William Wordsworth

Comment

Originally posted by Rae'ya View Post
            It always hard to tell when there are kids involved, because kids do some pretty awful things to dogs sometimes. Sometimes when kids get attacked it's because they were doing stupid things, or because they have never been taught to read a dog and know when to back off. But from the video this one looked like a genuine, unprovoked attack.
            Originally posted by Artemisia View Post
            My dog snapped at a child one day when he happened to get out the yard. I was devastated but later found out through a bit of digging that the child in question and her friends had cornered my dog and were teasing him relentlessly. Of course the parents would never admit that their little bundle of joy was being a menace. I am currently staying with my friend who has a 2 year old, and my dog is absolutely gentle towards him, even when the child has pulled on his ears or tail. There was no way I was going to punish my dog just because he scratched some little brat who hasn't been taught to treat animals with kindness and respect.

I've noticed (as a life-long dog owner) that it seems to be a matter of whom they consider "their person(s)"...also, to some extent, age. Dogs (and I'm obviously speaking in generalities, some breeds do better than others, and it depends on the owner and envrionment the dog was raised in) seem to recognize "human puppies", whether or not they are "theirs", and are generally speaking pretty tolerant (particularly when it is an older, well-treated dog that has had at least some exposure to children...younger dogs can be just as excited as the munchkin resulting in an unintentional problems, which is why children should *always* be supervised around animals). With older kids though, dogs are usually more tolerant of what their people do than they are strange kids. While there's not a good correlation for everything, a lot of dog behavior can be explained by wolf behavior (and how we've modified it via selective breeding).
            Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
            sigpic

Comment

The dog was put down. Apparently it bit two of the shelter people as well.
              Satan is my spirit animal

Comment

Originally posted by thalassa View Post
                I've noticed (as a life-long dog owner) that it seems to be a matter of whom they consider "their person(s)"...also, to some extent, age. Dogs (and I'm obviously speaking in generalities, some breeds do better than others, and it depends on the owner and envrionment the dog was raised in) seem to recognize "human puppies", whether or not they are "theirs", and are generally speaking pretty tolerant (particularly when it is an older, well-treated dog that has had at least some exposure to children...younger dogs can be just as excited as the munchkin resulting in an unintentional problems, which is why children should *always* be supervised around animals). With older kids though, dogs are usually more tolerant of what their people do than they are strange kids. While there's not a good correlation for everything, a lot of dog behavior can be explained by wolf behavior (and how we've modified it via selective breeding).
                This is not strictly true, but I understand what you are saying. Adult wolf behaviour has absolutely no correlation in the domestic dog at all, though there are some juvenile wolf behaviours that are still displayed. Domestic dog behaviour is incredibly complex, but we know much more about it now than we did twenty years ago... once we started actually studying domestic dogs instead of making arbitrary assumptions based on their ancestors, our understanding increased in huge leaps.

Many dogs have a certain instinct to remain non-confrontational to a point, which is what you see when you see dogs putting up with children. They give a plethora of body language signals to tell us that they aren't comfortable and would like the child to stop doing what they are doing, but they are often not recognised. To a point it's because they are 'their' people, living in their social unit. But it's not because they love and tolerate the child the way we do, it's because they recognise the need for social unity within a long standing group. Dog's don't live in family units 'in the wild' - they have a very different social structure and therefore very different social rules to animals who live in family units (such as wolves, african hunting dogs etc).

This video is a good example of body language that is usually ignored or misinterpreted by people. These people are incredibly lucky that their dog is as non-confrontational as it is and that the child broke off when it did. The next step is growling and warning snaps. (I saw the original video, which had been put up by the parents and had no captions, but just found this version that was re-done and captioned by some animal trainers who know what they are looking at, so you can see the body language I'm talking about).

Even behaviours that we THINK are 'happy' behaviours often aren't. Dogs wag their tails for appeasement as much as they do out of happiness. What we recognise as 'excited' is more often than not 'anxious' or 'uncomfortable with my surroundings'. Even when they are vocalising people usually still misinterpret it. You have no idea how many people say 'he loves coming to the vet' about their dog that gets all 'excited' when he's at our clinic, but just don't recognise the conflict that the dog is going through because he's wagging his tail and pulling to come in the door. Even simple things like having visitors to the house can be an anxiety-inducing event for dogs and a good time to really pay attention to what they are trying to tell us. Jumping, sniffing, tail wagging, whining, restlessness, pacing, indecision, constant 'checking in', eye movements, lip licking, panting, breathing rate, eyebrow position, ear position... all of that is telling us little things that humans just aren't wired to automatically recognise. Even after 15,000 years (approximately, anthropologists keep moving the dates and still can't agree) of living with dogs, we still suck at communicating with them.

I'm not saying that this is what's occurred in this particular case. Here I stand by my earlier comment that the dog who was chased by that cat was probably suffering from some sort of behavioural problem. I'm also more inclined to that the cat was protecting it's driveway, not the child, but that's another story lol

Comment

Working...
                X