This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Modern Pagan Patriotic Artwork.

So, long story short, I was having a conversation with Nightingale and the topic of patriotism came up. Now, as I'm sure at least some of you are familiar with the VAST SWATH of artwork combining Christian imagery with the imagery of American Nationalism. Quick gallery if you're not:
    jesus_america_powerpoint_template_0610_title.jpgflagjesus.jpgamerican-christianity-flag_and_bible-796591.jpg
    Etc, etc, etc....

However, when it comes to images of patriotism in the modern day, the only ones related to Pagansim I could find were these Apollo patches (which are pretty awesome looking, in my opinion).
    Apollo_17-insignia.jpgApollo_13-insignia.jpg
    This led me to wonder:
    1. Is there more patriotic art combining Pagan imagery with Nationalistic imagery from the modern day (yes, we can all find stuff from before our current era) that I simply don't know about?
    2. If there was more of it, what would you want it to look like?

I'm also reminded of this film being made which has a segment which involves UK Soldiers and the Morrigan:

28th April and again we found ourselves back at Pippingford, this time with a much smaller crew to film the final flashbacks for the Morrighan film, ‘The Washer at the Ford” – indeed today were the…
    hey look, I have a book! And look I have a second one too!

Re: Modern Pagan Patriotic Artwork.

Honestly, the less associated patriotism becomes from religion, the better.

Also, this:
    The US are Satan

Check out my blog! The Daily Satanist

Comment

Yes, religion and Patriotism shouldn't be connected either in my opinion.

But this isn't a discussion about that.

Comment

Originally posted by Malflick View Post
        Yes, religion and Patriotism shouldn't be connected either in my opinion.

But this isn't a discussion about that.
        Oh, I know, I was just staying my opinion before contributing with the picture of a devil's head with the US flag photoshopped over it. I thought it was relevant. Perhaps not enough.

There's also this: US Flag Pentagram

Check out my blog! The Daily Satanist

Comment

Originally posted by SeanRave View Post
          Honestly, the less associated patriotism becomes from religion, the better.

Also, this:
          The US are Satan
          To use one of my favorite quotes of all time... Amen, hallelujah, peanut butter.

Comment

Originally posted by SeanRave View Post
            Oh, I know, I was just staying my opinion before contributing with the picture of a devil's head with the US flag photoshopped over it. I thought it was relevant. Perhaps not enough.

There's also this: US Flag Pentagram
            Ah, gotcha! Sorry, I misunderstood you.

- - - Updated - - -

A US flag Pentagram. There we go. I can't believe I didn't Google that (silly Malflick, I just googled gods' names next to patriotic words that got results with Jesus next to them :P). That is exactly the kind of thing I wondered if it existed.

The Satan in American colors also fits of course as well.

Though I still wonder if somewhere somebody has say, photoshopped Thor or Apollo in front of billowing patriotic banners.

Patriotic artwork is interesting for me in regards to religion as its a way of expressing a tie between one's faith and one's country so that questioning one questions the other in some ways. While I assume many people here would take umbrage with that sort of thing, I noticed quite a lot of the "Jesus/America" art was being posted by my friends with ties to the military, and I was in some ways curious if there was a similar phenomenon with Pagans.

Comment

Originally posted by Malflick View Post
              Ah, gotcha! Sorry, I misunderstood you.

- - - Updated - - -

A US flag Pentagram. There we go. I can't believe I didn't Google that (silly Malflick, I just googled gods' names next to patriotic words that got results with Jesus next to them :P). That is exactly the kind of thing I wondered if it existed.

The Satan in American colors also fits of course as well.

Though I still wonder if somewhere somebody has say, photoshopped Thor or Apollo in front of billowing patriotic banners.

Patriotic artwork is interesting for me in regards to religion as its a way of expressing a tie between one's faith and one's country so that questioning one questions the other in some ways. While I assume many people here would take umbrage with that sort of thing, I noticed quite a lot of the "Jesus/America" art was being posted by my friends with ties to the military, and I was in some ways curious if there was a similar phenomenon with Pagans.
              Some of us do, some don't. Personally I honestly don't feel any sense of loyalty to any earthly government or set of borders and think they cause more violence, greed, and bigotry than they're worth. I would just like to see a grand fellowship of the human race one day. I think that patriotism has a way of causing problems when it's combined with anything.

Comment

Erm...most classically inspired American imagery is Pagan in origin (as an example, the image on the Medal of Honor is of the goddess Minerva repelling Discord).

Malfick, not sure if you are aware of this or not, but there are Pagans that worship Lady Liberty (as a modern version of Libertas) and Columbia.

Also...as a Pagan that joined the military, and now a veteran that is Pagan...and specifically someone that worships (literally) the land I walk upon...I've written a few times on my general thoughts about the intersection between faith and country and service to said country in a number of blog posts (and again, and again, and again). (granted, this isn't artwork, just some opinions)
                Last edited by thalassa; 17 May 2014, 14:19. Reason: double post
                Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
                sigpic

Comment

There is SO much pagan based imagery on money, flags, seals etc already, many people just aren't aware of it's origin.

I worship the Sun, it's everywhere! But the Sun does shine on everything so I think it's more appropriate than slapping a Norse deity on an image of the flag. But I don't know as I am not much familiar with the Norse tradition.

I'm not Christian either but I find it offensive to Jesus to go around purporting that he is behind a country and ideology that didn't exist and that he made no commentary on when he was alive.

I'm an artist, and a pagan, and I create images and art honoring the Sun all the time, but I've never felt moved to combine it with patriotism, but that's just me.

Comment

I have a real problem with a lot of patriotism... as some of you may already know.

The Hungarian author George Mikes summed it up rather well when he wrote 'My country right or wrong is the same as saying My mother, drunk or sober.'

This discussion would get me into all sorts of aggro so it's probably best that I stay well away.
                    www.thewolfenhowlepress.com

Phantom Turnips never die.... they just get stewed occasionally....

Comment

Working...
                    X