This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pagan Gods and Popular Media

The other day I was at a restaurant and the waitress complimented me on my necklace- a shiny black plumbob with' I ❤ Loki' on it. Her fellow waitress took a peek and said' Loki? Oh, he's that guy from Thor, right?'

I gently mentioned that Loki is a Norse god.

Cue the awkward pause.

The original waitress saved the day with a well-timed' Tom Hiddleston is hot, isn't he?'

I jumped on the subject change, but I'm wondering if there wasn't a better way to handle that.

I do like the Thor movies. They pair Norse themes with hot gguys, making the world a better place for all. But you want to say something.

Sure, when I have my Loki Charms shirt on, talk to me about the movies all you want, but when I have my Mjolnir necklace on, I feel the need to state the difference.

How do you guys handle it?

Re: Pagan Gods and Popular Media

The need to state the difference is understandable. If people ask about one of my Kemetic necklaces (though I wear them rarely, so people don't ask very much about them), I just tell them: "This is the _________ sign. It means/ this god is....." calmly.
    But if you don't want to go any further than this, it's your choice and it's absolutely ok. You can just ask them to change the subject.

- - - Updated - - -

Though it freaks me out sometimes. People tend to say things like: "Hor likes to destroy things..." only because He is the war and sky god. People say it because of lack of their knowledge, I don't blame them for it.
    I just avoid any sort of conversation in order to avoid any arguments about it.
    "Fair means that everybody gets what they need. And the only way to get that is to make it happen yourself."

Since I adore cats, I might write something strange or unusual in my comment.Cats are awesome!!! ^_^

Comment

While I obviously can't really relate, when I get in awkward religious situations cracking a joke, even a REALLY LAME one that isn't funny but is said like its a joke helps ease things over. Humor smooths a lot of things over.

- - - Updated - - -

Originally posted by Gleb View Post

Though it freaks me out sometimes. People tend to say things like: "Hor likes to destroy things..." only because He is the war and sky god. People say it because of lack of their knowledge, I don't blame them for it.
      I just avoid any sort of conversation in order to avoid any arguments about it.
      Having anybody try to inform you about your own religion is awkward. I had to sit in a room where someone tried to tell a worshiper of Thor (eclectic not Asatru) that Thor was a really awful guy (he wasn't trying to convert her, he just really hated Thor as a character.... He didn't know she worshiped him.) It awkward as well.
      And so have been the million or so times people have tried to tell me what I believe as well. Why is it so many people are apparently better informed than the people who practice their own religions what those religions believe? :P
      hey look, I have a book! And look I have a second one too!

Comment

Originally posted by Malflick View Post
        Why is it so many people are apparently better informed than the people who practice their own religions what those religions believe? :P
        I believe that people are generally predisposed towards being self-important and will naturally think that they know something you don't..now this doesn't mean it is done with a sense of malice, quite the contrary, I think many people do it out of a sense of goodwill; they are truly trying to help.
        ----------------
        Now when it comes to the topic at hand..it's a mixed bag of nuts.

While it helps with proliferation it often tends to exaggerate and sensationalize the often marketable aspects of whatever has been brought to the media..I see it as the same way with Kung Fu..were it not for all the flicks/media/etc it would not be as pervasive in our culture but at the same time what is often packaged and sold can also cheapen the 'soul' of it.

Comment

Those who believe in something, often take closer to heart what people say.
          "Fair means that everybody gets what they need. And the only way to get that is to make it happen yourself."

Since I adore cats, I might write something strange or unusual in my comment.Cats are awesome!!! ^_^

Comment

I've never had an awkward moment with Norse gods and their Marvel counterparts, but I imagine humor and a light-hearted 'by the way' would wipe away any confusion quickly. Most I do is discuss differences between Marvel's characters and the actual gods with a friend of mine who's really interested in Norse mythology (though she's not quite sure what she believes).

Comment

Originally posted by Hekla View Post
              I've never had an awkward moment with Norse gods and their Marvel counterparts, but I imagine humor and a light-hearted 'by the way' would wipe away any confusion quickly. Most I do is discuss differences between Marvel's characters and the actual gods with a friend of mine who's really interested in Norse mythology (though she's not quite sure what she believes).
              If it's someone I know, I have no problem going into greater detail, but this was a waitress; it's likely she's not really interested in my personal spiritual path. I just don't want to ignore the real gods for Marvel's version.

Comment

Yeah, I get what you're saying. I've just never been in that kind of situation. But I'd say it's totally okay to geek out a little. You don't even have to say this is what you believe. My only good example is Godzilla. I saw the new movie with a friend and his brother and as we discussed it afterward, I went into total geek mode, giving examples from various of the older Japanese films versus some of the things/people in this new movie. So geeking out with actual Norse mythology is completely okay to do.

Comment

I had someone comment on my Pent at work once,she said,I did not know you were Jewish.....Nuff said...
                  MAGIC is MAGIC,black OR white or even blood RED

all i ever wanted was a normal life and love.
                  NO TERF EVER WE belong Too.
                  don't stop the tears.let them flood your soul.

sigpic

my new page here,let me know what you think.

nothing but the shadow of what was

witchvox
                  http://www.witchvox.com/vu/vxposts.html

Comment

Definitely, that person didn't know very much about the topic. Pentacle and David's star look differently.

Comment

Originally posted by anunitu View Post
                      I had someone comment on my Pent at work once,she said,I did not know you were Jewish.....Nuff said...
                      Ditto but 'Satanist', in a room full of Christians... (It was under my shirt, still no idea how she knew I was wearing it), Luckily we're all fairly good mates so I just laughed it off and the others had no clue what she (the 'accuser') was on about.
                      I can see this kinda stuff happening in the future (fairly new to paganism, in a mainly Xian orientated social group), any advice would be a great help ^^
                      *Following this thread with notepad + popcorn*
                      Work hard Play hard.
                      What is history?

Comment

Dresden Files pulled off an entertaining Hades in Skin Game. Given how rare a decent Hades is in fiction, thought it was noteworthy.
                        life itself was a lightsaber in his hands; even in the face of treachery and death and hopes gone cold, he burned like a candle in the darkness. Like a star shining in the black eternity of space.

Yoda: Dark Rendezvous

"But those men who know anything at all about the Light also know that there is a fierceness to its power, like the bare sword of the law, or the white burning of the sun." Suddenly his voice sounded to Will very strong, and very Welsh. "At the very heart, that is. Other things, like humanity, and mercy, and charity, that most good men hold more precious than all else, they do not come first for the Light. Oh, sometimes they are there; often, indeed. But in the very long run the concern of you people is with the absolute good, ahead of all else..."

John Rowlands, The Grey King by Susan Cooper

"You come from the Lord Adam and the Lady Eve", said Aslan. "And that is both honour enough to erect the head of the poorest beggar, and shame enough to bow the shoulders of the greatest emperor on earth; be content."

Aslan, Prince Caspian by CS Lewis

Comment

Personally, I would just politely point out that the Marvel characters are based on actual Norse gods. I don't think most people mind being educated so long as it is done politely. Like, "Actually, this is for the actual Norse god, Loki, who the Marvel character is based on, just as Thor and Odin are." I think politeness is key. Unless they become rude of course or are determined to stay ignorant.

Comment

Originally posted by anunitu View Post
                            I get that a bit. "Oh is that a star of David" "no, that would have 6 points..." And leave them to wonder.....
                            ThorSon's milkshake brings all the PF girls to the yard - Volcaniclastic

RIP

I have never been across the way
                            Seen the desert and the birds
                            You cut your hair short
                            Like a shush to an insult
                            The world had been yelling
                            Since the day you were born
                            Revolting with anger
                            While it smiled like it was cute
                            That everything was shit.

- J. Wylder

Comment

For me it very much depends on the situation. If someone talks about how they loved the Alvin and the chipmunks movie, I'm not going to start explaining that actuallychipmunks don't sing, etc etc, even though I've studied animal behavior. Because they are just talking about the made up tv/movie version.

That which I worship is constantly, pervasively depicted in the most bizarre and ridiculous way all over the place. Those are different folks interpretations, understandings and whimsy based around their idea or understanding of things. Sometimes, rarely, it makes sense to talk with them about my relationship with that thing etc etc, but most of the time I let it slide.

What their relationship and understandings are isn't much of an issue for me, but if I feel strongly moved to address it, then maybe in that situation it is.

I don't feel like any deity or higher power requires me to be it's champion, but occasionally it's messenger. I mean, I never know if somehow the deity is behind that image of it and is somehow using it. Staying spiritually connected is my best means of discerning in any given situation.

Comment

Working...
                              X