Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Kids and water

Originally posted by Heka View Post
    Not to disagree really, you have more experience than me, but I'm sick of getting 5-6 yos who just refuse to try new things, especially opening eyes under water.

My prefered age to get your kid in the water is 6 months. Yes this might be a tub, but like you said to Shahaku, get their ears in etc.

Get them doing it before they are old enough to know whats going on!
    Lol...no, I totally agree that ASAP is best to get them IN the water. I'm just saying that formal swimming lessons (assuming you've regularly put your kids in the water to play and had the sense to teach them to blow bubbles and paddle and kick without making them scared to death of the water) seem to work best around 5-6 if you are actually hoping your child will learn to swim technically correct(ish) swimming strokes in a reasonable amount of time. Before that, most children just don't have the kinesthetic awareness necessary to learn to swim properly. Sure, I can teach them how to paddle around and float and blow bubbles (in our once a week, hour long lessons--assuming they enjoy the water), but if you are expecting them to be swim team ready by 5, you (hypothetical parent) need to invest a heck of a lot more time and money into their swimming lessons.

Its sort of like my experience in potty training with two kids. Sure, I could have started potty training them (and I did with Phee) before 2...but she still wasn't potty trained until she decided she wanted to be potty trained. Which happened on her 3rd birthday (after touring the program we were looking at) when I told her she couldn't go to school until she didn't have any more accidents and only used the big girl potty. After that, she never needed diapers and never had a night time accident either. With Sharkbait, I didn't bother with all that early crud, and he figured it out on his own by 3 (though we still had some night time accidents and we had a whole poop control thing to work through, which was a totally separate issue).
    Last edited by thalassa; 07 Oct 2014, 07:50.
    Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by thalassa View Post

Lol...no, I totally agree that ASAP is best to get them IN the water. I'm just saying that formal swimming lessons (assuming you've regularly put your kids in the water to play and had the sense to teach them to blow bubbles and paddle and kick without making them scared to death of the water) seem to work best around 5-6 if you are actually hoping your child will learn to swim technically correct(ish) swimming strokes in a reasonable amount of time. Before that, most children just don't have the kinesthetic awareness necessary to learn to swim properly. Sure, I can teach them how to paddle around and float and blow bubbles (in our once a week, hour long lessons--assuming they enjoy the water), but if you are expecting them to be swim team ready by 5, you (hypothetical parent) need to invest a heck of a lot more time and money into their swimming lessons.

Its sort of like my experience in potty training with two kids. Sure, I could have started potty training them (and I did with Phee) before 2...but she still wasn't potty trained until she decided she wanted to be potty trained. Which happened on her 3rd birthday (after touring the program we were looking at) when I told her she couldn't go to school until she didn't have any more accidents and only used the big girl potty. After that, she never needed diapers and never had a night time accident either. With Sharkbait, I didn't bother with all that early crud, and he figured it out on his own by 3 (though we still had some night time accidents and we had a whole poop control thing to work through, which was a totally separate issue).
      Yep, agree! There is some intelligence around starting kids at school at that age, it's an age where most kids are becoming self aware enough to actually function at these activities!!
      ThorSon's milkshake brings all the PF girls to the yard - Volcaniclastic

RIP

I have never been across the way
      Seen the desert and the birds
      You cut your hair short
      Like a shush to an insult
      The world had been yelling
      Since the day you were born
      Revolting with anger
      While it smiled like it was cute
      That everything was shit.

- J. Wylder