This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Are "genies" real?

Hey, uhm. Lately I've been dreaming of good world. No evilness, no corruption, no wars, everybody's got food etc., then I have been dreaming of "my" world. Plainly pure happiness, maybe something like heaven on earth or stuff. I was kinda dreaming away, as you think of something pretty often and want something really badly you are able to fool yourself. I don't mean to offend anybody by possible stereotypes or misunderstandings. I just want to ask whether there exists mythical(?) creature which could posses enough power to make that wish come true and could be "summon-able" to human. I would like to ask him/her/it, to create such planet. Maybe not in this reality, but in "virtual" reality, where actual universe (this) never comes in contact with that virtual universe (which would work as real one). Could you tell me if I'm making fool of myself. Believing in random fairies, impossible mantras and impossible wishes. Or it is possible, there is somebody who would be that powerful and though, reachable. ** Could you please stay on topic. Sorry for any irritation I'd cause if you think you need to roll it over and over again. But I think open surface Internet isn't good answer deliverer. So I ask it here. Sincerely, Anon.

Re: Are "genies" real?

Genies have their origins in Islam where they are called the Jinn. They are beings make of smokeless flames which, like humans, are capable of doing either good or evil. Where the three wishes for freeing one originates is up for debate but Jinn also serve the role of demons in Islam; evil Jinn are called Shaytans, the most famous being Iblis who is Satan in the other Abrahamic faiths. So seeking wishes from them is probably a sin.

As for your actual question, is there a being that grants wishes like this? Some spirits grant wishes, gods can grant boons. However, a wish like that either cannot or will not be fulfilled by any spiritual entity. Suffering is integral to life and pervades in all aspects of it. Not even the gods are exempt from suffering, from wars or corruptions. It's amicable to want to create a more perfect world, but it's not as easy as making a wish. We live in a human world, filled with evils perpetrated by humans, which must be fixed by humans.

The only change we see in the world is the change we make. Remain idealistic and look to make things better where ever you can in your daily life. Be nice to people, even those who are mean to you because they need the kindness most, volunteer for charities in your community, help people who need helping and never be afraid to accept help, always see the next day as a way to improve on the past and that's how you make a more perfect world. There is nothing worth getting which is not done with hard work, and even then there's no promising it will work.

Personally, I think it's an admirable but unobtainable goal. People in many cases are caught in their affairs, distant and only showing a facade of sympathy trying to mask the monotony of their thankless lives. A single person is functionally worthless. We gain virtue through our relationships with others and in groups people can bring about change. A single person can inspire but a group is the one who actually causes the change because there is strength in numbers. But people have different ideals, what is war and poverty for one is profit for another, each person with different experiences and perspectives that makes it difficult to band together. A little irony that social creatures like humans have such a hard time getting along with one another. But sometimes one finds a large enough number of people who think similarly enough, and are willing, and change is effected. It may take a long time and may not seem worth it but eventually something happens.

You are not the first or last person with this dream. It's a sad truth that humanity is subject to change. Peace is just a word. In a world of perspectives peace is the lull between conflicts but someone is always hurt somewhere. There is no such thing are happiness for everyone, not in this life.I remember hearing that in all of human history there is less than three hundred years of peace total. People fight so hard for what they believe in, but then they die, and people forget the lessons those people taught and then it's like what they fought so hard to achieve never really mattered. There is nothing truly permanent, peace or otherwise. Remember the moments of happiness you get because you won't always have them. Remember nothing is permanent but don't stop fighting for what you believe because even if it doesn't last long, hopefully you're helping someone. If you relieve pain from the world for even a moment you've reduced the sum amount of suffering in existence and that's something truly miraculous.

Some people believe in an astral dimension where people can change things and make and do things but even that wouldn't suit your wish. You long for a beautiful world which will never exist, except in your fantasies. It's sad but true. Try to work changing this world instead because even if you could make a peaceful world in some metaphysical dimension, no one could enjoy it. It would be peaceful because of it's emptiness and utterly worthless because of that emptiness. A prevalent belief is the afterlife is a beautiful place where everyone is happy, heaven, the summerlands, the west lands, whatever, but that doesn't really help you now and may or may not actually exist.

Also, don't be afraid of making a fool of yourself. Fools are best people because they don't know that they can't do something. In tarot cards the fool is the beginning and represents the infinite potential we have when we start anything. People believe a lot of crazy things but that doesn't necessarily make them crazy. Even here we have a lot of crazy beliefs. Never be afraid of being a fool because if you are you'll stop asking questions and then you'll stop learning which is really a sad thing. We're all fools because there is always more to know and always something not understood.
    Circe

Comment

Your answer seems to be extremely relevant. As I may refer to "repairing this world, instead of trying to create new one". Don't get me wrong, if you consider this world as unpeaceful and unfriendly in overall existence by it's lacking support for peace. You're just barely looking at surface of it. What you see is 10m of top of Mount Everest, there's no way to reverse back all the negative changes and all positives are just painted images which has been made up for money. Unnotorious fact is that everything in this world is going to very bad end. Our civilization heavily degrades and falls to it's knees. In last 4 years, things've gone much more terrible. Few hundred years ago, dear Sir. Lincoln predicted that fact. He knew this would happen... not it's too late to save it. I'm not kind of depressed sociopathic paranoid. I'm just watching what happens behind the scenes and such gore and terror, is nothing you would like people to go through. Not that I've been personally through this.

Comment

Satan is my spirit animal

Comment

Originally posted by Anonymouse012 View Post
          Your answer seems to be extremely relevant. As I may refer to "repairing this world, instead of trying to create new one". Don't get me wrong, if you consider this world as unpeaceful and unfriendly in overall existence by it's lacking support for peace. You're just barely looking at surface of it. What you see is 10m of top of Mount Everest, there's no way to reverse back all the negative changes and all positives are just painted images which has been made up for money. Unnotorious fact is that everything in this world is going to very bad end. Our civilization heavily degrades and falls to it's knees. In last 4 years, things've gone much more terrible. Few hundred years ago, dear Sir. Lincoln predicted that fact. He knew this would happen... not it's too late to save it. I'm not kind of depressed sociopathic paranoid. I'm just watching what happens behind the scenes and such gore and terror, is nothing you would like people to go through. Not that I've been personally through this.
          What does this wall of unreadable text have to do with the question of genies existing?

Do genies exist? Yes. But not in the way you seem to infer.

"Reason is not automatic. Those who deny it cannot be conquered by it." - Ayn Rand

"Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth." - Marcus Aurelius

"The very ink with which history is written is merely fluid prejudice." - Mark Twain

"The only gossip I'm interested in is things from the Weekly World News - 'Woman's bra bursts, 11 injured'. That kind of thing." - Johnny Depp

Comment

Do Powers with the capacity to act on behalf of mortals exist? Possibly.

Will these Powers arrange a utopia because some random mortal wishes for one? By virtue of not seeing mortal utopias around right now, I'm inclined to say no. If you want a perfect world then define what you consider perfect, get off your *** and go build one. If you lack the will to make the attempt without the aid of a Power then why should any Power feel that you deserve assistance? Outside certain conceptions of monotheistic Powers, building a universe is work. What have you done to earn such labor?
            life itself was a lightsaber in his hands; even in the face of treachery and death and hopes gone cold, he burned like a candle in the darkness. Like a star shining in the black eternity of space.

Yoda: Dark Rendezvous

"But those men who know anything at all about the Light also know that there is a fierceness to its power, like the bare sword of the law, or the white burning of the sun." Suddenly his voice sounded to Will very strong, and very Welsh. "At the very heart, that is. Other things, like humanity, and mercy, and charity, that most good men hold more precious than all else, they do not come first for the Light. Oh, sometimes they are there; often, indeed. But in the very long run the concern of you people is with the absolute good, ahead of all else..."

John Rowlands, The Grey King by Susan Cooper

"You come from the Lord Adam and the Lady Eve", said Aslan. "And that is both honour enough to erect the head of the poorest beggar, and shame enough to bow the shoulders of the greatest emperor on earth; be content."

Aslan, Prince Caspian by CS Lewis

Comment

Who knows, perhaps genies exist. However, if they do, I find it highly improbable that they would have the power to make a perfect world. Suffering seems to be an integral part of life. If it was possible to change that fundamental nature of the universe, I'm sure someone would have done it by now. After all, every living being suffers the pains of loss, grief, sickness, corruption, and death.

Comment

I would say perfection lies in the eye of the beholder. As such the OP's sense of perfection would probably not align with mine or another's. So how is a Genie going to magic such a transformation into existence? Seems hardly likely or that any other beings would allow such to occur as it would seem to suggest they would have to give up their influences. Still if there is a Genie out there to be had I'd like the Barbara Eden variety from I Dream of Genie but you can keep her sister.
                I'm Only Responsible For What I Say Not For What Or How You Understand!

Comment

Originally posted by MaskedOne View Post
                  Do Powers with the capacity to act on behalf of mortals exist? Possibly.

Will these Powers arrange a utopia because some random mortal wishes for one? By virtue of not seeing mortal utopias around right now, I'm inclined to say no. If you want a perfect world then define what you consider perfect, get off your *** and go build one. If you lack the will to make the attempt without the aid of a Power then why should any Power feel that you deserve assistance? Outside certain conceptions of monotheistic Powers, building a universe is work. What have you done to earn such labor?
                  This.

Also perfection, as in "Plainly pure happiness, maybe something like heaven on earth or stuff." would be a bit boring, trite, and have absolutely and utterly no value. Not to mention, but its just plain unnatural. To live is to struggle, regardless of your species...its how life came to be. We are just talking monkeys with opposable thumbs. And, as someone that spends a lot of time reading old things, the world is not getting worse. It was never perfect either.

(also, I don't have time to do anything about it, but this is probably in the wrong section, if another mod can fix that?)
                  Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
                  sigpic

Comment

Corvus Thanks for answer. I'd be gone by now as it seems that people here aren't really the warmest.
                    ChainLightning So you mind me, replying to a post that one of answerers posted. But you don't mind Medusa, posting picture without any context?
                    MaskedOne I would get my "***" off and build such world If I could, right here and right now. Sure I didn't deserve for such "labor", because if I would try to deserve it now it would be useless to praise of non-existing entity. Now as I know such thing is impossible I don't think I should do anything extra for things that doesn't exist.
                    ilfewoverthecuckoosnest I'm not suffering any of these. I just thought it would be great to see humans with happiness and without problems once in the while.
                    monsno_leedra I don't think our interpretations of "perfect" world wouldn't be that different. I don't think that removing war, starvation, diseases and other nastinesses would be against your wish. That's all I was thinking of, our planet, minus other things.
                    thalassa That's your point of view of heaven? Well.

Comment

Originally posted by Anonymouse012 View Post
                      Corvus Thanks for answer. I'd be gone by now as it seems that people here aren't really the warmest.
                      ChainLightning So you mind me, replying to a post that one of answerers posted. But you don't mind Medusa, posting picture without any context?
                      MaskedOne I would get my "***" off and build such world If I could, right here and right now. Sure I didn't deserve for such "labor", because if I would try to deserve it now it would be useless to praise of non-existing entity. Now as I know such thing is impossible I don't think I should do anything extra for things that doesn't exist.
                      ilfewoverthecuckoosnest I'm not suffering any of these. I just thought it would be great to see humans with happiness and without problems once in the while.
                      monsno_leedra I don't think our interpretations of "perfect" world wouldn't be that different. I don't think that removing war, starvation, diseases and other nastinesses would be against your wish. That's all I was thinking of, our planet, minus other things.
                      thalassa That's your point of view of heaven? Well.

Quite obviously, English is not your first language.

So you mind me, replying to a post that one of answerers posted. But you don't mind Medusa, posting picture without any context?
                      I wasn't talking to Medusa, I was talking to you.

You asked for opinions regarding genies. You then posted an unreadable wall of text that didn't even mention genies. Are you looking for people's opinions, on the existence of genies, or are you just trying to lecture us on your personal world view? The former is an interesting thought experiment; the latter will get you nowhere.

That said, if you wish to debate Medusa's reply, that clearly asks the question "what?", you should take that up with Medusa. Since I am not her, I cannot answer for her.

"Reason is not automatic. Those who deny it cannot be conquered by it." - Ayn Rand

"Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth." - Marcus Aurelius

"The very ink with which history is written is merely fluid prejudice." - Mark Twain

"The only gossip I'm interested in is things from the Weekly World News - 'Woman's bra bursts, 11 injured'. That kind of thing." - Johnny Depp

Comment

Since when were we talking about heaven?

And what do genies have to do with an improbable afterlife?

/confused

35.jpg
                        Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
                        sigpic

Comment

Wait, so you have never suffered loss, grief, or pain?! For real? Then you, my good sir, have an an exceptionally happy life.
                          Anyway, the point I was trying to make is that the vast majority of humans have suffered in their lives. Therefore, if people getting their hands on genies was at all a likely circumstance, somebody probably would've wished that stuff away by now.

Comment

Working...
                          X