Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How much weight do you give your intuition when home-hunting?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How much weight do you give your intuition when home-hunting?

My husband and I have been apartment hunting for about a month now, and one of the ones we've looked at seems a good fit. Reasonable rent, good location, there's enough space, and ticks most of the boxes I need in a residence. My husband really likes it. I, on the other hand, got a really weird "vibe" about the place. I really couldn't tell you why. It's in a quiet location, there weren't any red flags that stood out to me, the staff was friendly enough. There's just "something" that makes me think twice about it.

Nothing that is said here will determine my decision as to whether or not to apply to this place, but I am curious about how much weight the members of this forum give to their feelings when looking for a new place to live.

If you were the one checking out new locations and you found one that seemed to fit the bill, but just had an "off" feeling to it, would you still apply? Or would you turn tail and look elsewhere?

Re: How much weight do you give your intuition when home-hunting?

I'm very in tune with that. When I moved here, I looked at about 17 houses in a day and a half - this one "spoke" to me immediately.
    sigpic
    Can you hear me, Major Tom? I think I love you.

Comment

Turns out there's some pretty shady activity that happens at those apartments at night. Go figure.

Comment

Originally posted by Ljubezen View Post
        My husband and I have been apartment hunting for about a month now, and one of the ones we've looked at seems a good fit. Reasonable rent, good location, there's enough space, and ticks most of the boxes I need in a residence. My husband really likes it. I, on the other hand, got a really weird "vibe" about the place. I really couldn't tell you why. It's in a quiet location, there weren't any red flags that stood out to me, the staff was friendly enough. There's just "something" that makes me think twice about it.

Nothing that is said here will determine my decision as to whether or not to apply to this place, but I am curious about how much weight the members of this forum give to their feelings when looking for a new place to live.

If you were the one checking out new locations and you found one that seemed to fit the bill, but just had an "off" feeling to it, would you still apply? Or would you turn tail and look elsewhere?
        If I actively get a weird vibe, I steer clear of it.

I'm not the sort of person who thinks that a house has to hit you over the head with 'OMG come and live here you'll love it' in order to be any good... but weird vibes happen for a reason. Weird vibes = you'll have trouble living here.

Because remember this is where you will spend the majority of your time. If it weirds you out to spend five minutes there, imagine what five years will do.

Comment

Working...
        X