This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Recurring dream

I have been wondering about a dream I have with some frequency. It always involves me attempting to punch somebody in the face, but when I swing at them my movement is slowed, like it's moving through thick treacle, and the punch does little or no damage to the person (it's a different person every time). I feel a great deal of frustration as I repeatedly attempt to injure the person, only to have my punch be completely ineffective. It's gotten to the point where I feel if I had to try and strike someone in real life, the same thing would happen, that I am essentially powerless to defend myself.
    Does anyone have any thoughts on what this could mean? I have had extremely violent, disturbing dreams where I have hurt someone (one involved me smashing a person's head repeatedly into a pavement), but these slow-mo punch dreams have been predominant over the past few months.
    By the way, I am not a violent person at all...I have punched a few people in my life, but I can count them on one hand. As far as I know I don't have any anger issues. I feel this dream may have something to do with my personal sense of power and control, but I would like an outside opinion.
    sigpic

Re: Recurring dream

Originally posted by Artemisia
    It's gotten to the point where I feel if I had to try and strike someone in real life, the same thing would happen, that I am essentially powerless to defend myself.

I feel this dream may have something to do with my personal sense of power and control, but I would like an outside opinion.
    You've pretty much answered your own question here.

I used to have the same manner of dream regarding my step-sibling when I was young. I came to accept the fact that it stemmed from my fear of my father preferring them over me and that I was somehow inferior to this person. Once I acknowledged that this was not the case, the dreams ceased.

Are these dreams involving the same person each time? If so, I would say that it has to do with some suppressed feelings of subordination or inferiority to someone - or a loss of control regarding a life situation involving a particular person or in general.

Comment

It's a different person every time. Sometimes a stranger, sometimes someone I know, even a friend.
      sigpic

Comment

Shot in the dark here, but perhaps you feel ignored, overlooked or left out- powerless- and your attempts to get attention or acknowledgement are going unnoticed. You struggle perhaps with close relationships and maybe feel as if you are left out or ignored by others. Feels like you are fighting insecurity in yourself. In your dreams- the person you are trying to punch changes- it's random. You have had violent dreams before and I think you are unconsciously working out bottled resentment.

Comment

Working...
        X